The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
Eurtrude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:38 am
Location: France

Post by Eurtrude » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 am

I wish someone could make a module that "breaks" an incoming CV source to 2 outputs : one for CV values of that source lower than a threshold value defined by the user, and the other for the CV values greater than the same threshold.

With that, you could, for example, use the same CV sequence to control 2 modules : one for the bass, one for the lead.

I think you can achieve the same results using comparators and switches but it would again save a lot of patch cables.

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3921
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 am

Eurtrude wrote:I wish someone could make a module that "breaks" an incoming CV source to 2 outputs : one for CV values of that source lower than a threshold value defined by the user, and the other for the CV values greater than the same threshold.

With that, you could, for example, use the same CV sequence to control 2 modules : one for the bass, one for the lead.

I think you can achieve the same results using comparators and switches but it would again save a lot of patch cables.
Half wave rectifiers can do this to bipolar signals, but you probably already knew that. ;) like this one:

http://www.cfmodular.com/bipolar-half-w ... ifier.html

User avatar
matcsat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:24 pm
Location: Italy

Post by matcsat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 am

Hi,
Eurtrude wrote: ... I wish someone could make a module that "breaks" an incoming CV source to 2 outputs : one for CV values of that source lower than a threshold value defined by the user, and the other for the CV values greater than the same threshold ...

... I think you can achieve the same results using comparators and switches but it would again save a lot of patch cables ...
i think a min/max module and a manual voltage source can do that, only minor thing is the threshold voltage is shared by the two output (like in your example), ... you can't have a gap between the two, for example one output below -1V and the other above 2V, for this you need two min/max modules and two manual voltage source.*

In the end it's only one cable more.

[edit] it seems the Ladik U-040 incorporate both functions.

Marco.

* [edit] i was actually wrong, one min/max module is enough.
Last edited by matcsat on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 am

matcsat wrote:
[edit] it seems the Ladik U-040 incorporate both functions.

Marco.
:mygod:

...and I thought I was done for the moment. :deadbanana:

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Post by Shledge » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:57 am

The disting mk3/4 can do this too via the min/max algo.

User avatar
matcsat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:24 pm
Location: Italy

Post by matcsat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 am

... after more thinking about it, a gap between the two output is easly achievable with a secont manual voltage source. (i know nobody ask for this, but it's interesting to think how far the idea can go)

Let say you have an LFO +-5V and two fixed voltage at -1V and +2V: the min output would be from -5V to -1V and the max output from +2V to +5V, the min and max outputs stay at the respective threshold level until the LFO go beyond or below respectively.

Marco.

User avatar
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Post by Pighood » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Euro version of Korg’s MOSS board :fap:
*phnert*

User avatar
joeTron
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:34 am
Location: Miami

Post by joeTron » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 pm

A sequencer that doesn't just do "performance" sequencing but also stores ideas into song parts for stringing together.

User avatar
Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Post by Bath House » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm

I want a CV crossfader module with adjustable crossover curve between signals A and B, where at center both signals are added and at hard left only signal A is present and hard right only signal B is present.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

User avatar
DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 831
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 pm

A version of the Expert Sleepers ES-5 that has 8x CV out instead of gate outs, plus the same 6x headers for other ESX modules.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

User avatar
ayruos
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 am
Location: Kolkata, India

Post by ayruos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:36 pm

I feel the need for a stereo crossfader now :D

I know I can get it done with some elaborate patching, but a dedicated multichannel stereo crossfader would be super considering I find myself working in stereo with the Morphagene, QPAS and Clouds quite extensively these days. I do have the X-Pan too. So outputs from a couple of those into a stereo panner for further processing or output or just being able to crossfade between the different QPAS outputs would be super.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:56 pm

Mentioned this to Intellijel on their forum.

Would love an ES8 in Intellijel 1U. A simple 8 channel input, sent via usb to the computer. Then the signal can be routed like a normal audio interface inside the DAW.

User avatar
bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by bedhed3000 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 am

ayruos wrote:I feel the need for a stereo crossfader now :D

I know I can get it done with some elaborate patching, but a dedicated multichannel stereo crossfader would be super considering I find myself working in stereo with the Morphagene, QPAS and Clouds quite extensively these days. I do have the X-Pan too. So outputs from a couple of those into a stereo panner for further processing or output or just being able to crossfade between the different QPAS outputs would be super.
Looks like this exists now: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-axys--

User avatar
ayruos
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 am
Location: Kolkata, India

Post by ayruos » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 am

bedhed3000 wrote:
Looks like this exists now: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-axys--
Ooooh, nice find! I'll add this to the list of wants :D

User avatar
ayruos
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 am
Location: Kolkata, India

Post by ayruos » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:24 am

Bath House wrote:I want a CV crossfader module with adjustable crossover curve between signals A and B, where at center both signals are added and at hard left only signal A is present and hard right only signal B is present.
Can't you do this with an X-Pan?

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:03 am

...what I would find handy right about now is a comparator with a built-in volt meter (or two, since it's comparing). You know, kinda like how the Z3000 displays its frequency. These things can be a Dickens of a thing to get just so. Sure, I have my O'Tool, but this is a fantasy thread, right? :mrgreen:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Post by Arneb » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 am

Bath House wrote:I want a CV crossfader module with adjustable crossover curve between signals A and B, where at center both signals are added and at hard left only signal A is present and hard right only signal B is present.
Not entirely sure what you mean...
Crossfading of CV: I'll probably buy the the Emblematic Systems Catalyst for this purpose at some point
Voltage-controlled crossfading of CV: Same but with the expander
Voltage-controlled crossfading of audio: That use case should just be the X-Pan.

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Post by Shledge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Bath House wrote:I want a CV crossfader module with adjustable crossover curve between signals A and B, where at center both signals are added and at hard left only signal A is present and hard right only signal B is present.
Overdrive CV modulation (any amplifying VCA will do the job - Veils can easily overdrive a signal), then take the output and into the crossfader. It'll do the same job.

VibratingMotorGate
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA

Post by VibratingMotorGate » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm

A CV-able A-138e Quad Three-Way Crossfader would pretty much be the dopest thing imaginable. A Nutube oscillator and/or filter.

I was thinking about rectification the other day and thought it would be cool to have something with 2 inputs being summed: 1-getting positive half-wave, 2-getting negative. But 2 is silenced during the positive cycle of 1 (and visa versa) through some kind of gating VCA being controlled by a syncing function. However if either of the summed outputs goes below/above (depending on the input) the zero point during its cycle, the opposite input will give out a negative phase output, but in the opposing input rectification stage. Would require 4 VCA's and half-wave rectifiers, plus 2 comparators and summing stages.

Also thought about being able to CV the "zero-point" of the rectification stages. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of half-wave rectifiers on the market.

Actually, I just thought of something even more nightmarish: a mixer right? wrong: it's a morpher between input signals! :hihi: :hyper: :eek: :help: what would the latency be on something like that anyways?
Last edited by VibratingMotorGate on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2250
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Post by Sandrine » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:56 pm

joeTron wrote:A sequencer that doesn't just do "performance" sequencing but also stores ideas into song parts for stringing together.
That sounds interesting!

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 pm

malnatim wrote:maybe this is unfeasible, but i've been wondering about the idea of a cassette tape delay module.
I love it when old posts from threads like these call out a crazy future module that actually comes to exist. :yay:

https://www.t-rex-effects.com/replicator-module

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 pm

mgallagher641 wrote:I would like...deep breath...

A four voice Prophet VS oscillator module with all the VS waves in, and a joystick mixer (like Intellijel's planar but for all four voices - so it would probably need to be built in). The clincher would be that, for me, I'd want it to replicate the VS's 12 bit waveforms complete with fizzy aliasing, and its eccentric cost-cutting way of mixing the waves with sample and hold multiplexer chips rather than VCAs. This mucks up the sound in a way that is really distinctive.

It should have a 4 voice summed output plus an out for each voice, i.e. each set of four waveforms.

Quite how the vector position would be modulated I'm not sure. Might need a mix envelope function built in as well.

Why only four voices? I find the eight voices of my VS is usually more than I need, and would cost a lot more and possibly be bigger.

Why this module? Because I love my VS, but the editing is fiddly - one knob per function would transform it - and I think there are nicer sounding filters out there, plus the envelopes are a faff with the multiple stages, the LFOs can't be set to free run, and the mod matrix is limited.

The best thing about the synth is the OSC and vector mixing section. Imagine being able to put that - even just paraphonically - through, say, a Roland-style OTA, SSM or multimode filter, or a couple of filters in series, with all the knobs there to tweak, and have parameters modulated with easier-to-use envelopes (I'd just have two ADSRs), free running LFOs patched to whatever you want...

The other thing is, the CEM 5530 sample and hold chips in the VS are known to die, and are very hard to get hold of, so those of us who own a VS live in fear. And Dave Smith has yet to release a modern equivalent. It would be good for the world to have a non-obsolete, modern, warranty-repairable way of producing that classic VS sound without resorting to soft synth copies.
It's a shame that no one else responded to this, or indeed that this module and/or a modern DSI update/reissue of the VS still does not exist.

Because it would be awesome. :love:

User avatar
Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: Ohio, US

Post by Foghorn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:38 pm

A Ladik module that I can actually buy, seeing how I have been banned from Paypal.

Foghorn

Actually, my CC was banned from Paypal.
It was hacked 3 times in 7 weeks.
Everytime I got a new one, a week later it had all kinds of charges on it.
$600 at Panera bread in California, the charges were always California.
One time it was run to within 4 cents of the credit limit.
Someone obviously could see the entire account.
My bank decided that Paypal was the problem, and they blocked it. :bang:
I guess I have to get a prepaid card to use for this. :despair:
Last edited by Foghorn on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2667
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Foghorn wrote:A Ladik module that I can actually buy, seeing how I have been banned from Paypal.

Foghorn
make a new paypal account with a different email?

User avatar
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm
Location: Freedom, NH

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:12 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
mgallagher641 wrote:I would like...deep breath...

A four voice Prophet VS oscillator module with all the VS waves in, and a joystick mixer (like Intellijel's planar but for all four voices - so it would probably need to be built in). The clincher would be that, for me, I'd want it to replicate the VS's 12 bit waveforms complete with fizzy aliasing, and its eccentric cost-cutting way of mixing the waves with sample and hold multiplexer chips rather than VCAs. This mucks up the sound in a way that is really distinctive.

It should have a 4 voice summed output plus an out for each voice, i.e. each set of four waveforms.

Quite how the vector position would be modulated I'm not sure. Might need a mix envelope function built in as well.

Why only four voices? I find the eight voices of my VS is usually more than I need, and would cost a lot more and possibly be bigger.

Why this module? Because I love my VS, but the editing is fiddly - one knob per function would transform it - and I think there are nicer sounding filters out there, plus the envelopes are a faff with the multiple stages, the LFOs can't be set to free run, and the mod matrix is limited.

The best thing about the synth is the OSC and vector mixing section. Imagine being able to put that - even just paraphonically - through, say, a Roland-style OTA, SSM or multimode filter, or a couple of filters in series, with all the knobs there to tweak, and have parameters modulated with easier-to-use envelopes (I'd just have two ADSRs), free running LFOs patched to whatever you want...

The other thing is, the CEM 5530 sample and hold chips in the VS are known to die, and are very hard to get hold of, so those of us who own a VS live in fear. And Dave Smith has yet to release a modern equivalent. It would be good for the world to have a non-obsolete, modern, warranty-repairable way of producing that classic VS sound without resorting to soft synth copies.
It's a shame that no one else responded to this, or indeed that this module and/or a modern DSI update/reissue of the VS still does not exist.

Because it would be awesome. :love:
Damn, that's pretty brilliant. Maybe just have an X/Y in rather than including an actual joystick, but yeah, that would be brilliant.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”