MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The modules that should exist (but don't)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Author The modules that should exist (but don't)
Daisuk
Hirsbro wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
cackland wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:
An euclidean trigger sequencer with knob and vc in per function (length, fill and rotate) Grids and 2hp Euclid are close functionally. Preferably with a screen for vusual feedback, like in squarp pyramid love

Without any experience on the Pyramid, but can't this be done already?

You can with squarp Hermod, but it only has four cv inputs. You can route those 4 cv inputs to anywhere and multiple times thanks to the modulation matrix though.

Yes you can and I have hermod but you don't have a knob per function wich was my point/wish otherwise there are plenty of options out there and combinations of various other modules that can get your there without visual feedback

Yeah, agreed, that would be great! smile
steffie268
I'm still in the research phase prior to building my first rack - I'm not new to synthesis but modular does present some nice new challenges wink
In any case, the first thing I'd think of trying to DIY would be a multiple with an attenuator on each output and a switch to off-set the voltage by +2,5 V.
Why? Let's say you want to send an LFO to multiple destinations...Some may accept -2,5 to +2,5 V while others might require 0-+5V... Also in some destinations the control pot for the input might act as an attenuator but it might also act as an off-set, in which case the signal might have to be attenuated prior to entering... If you could do that in a single module, wouldn't that be very conventient? Or have I missed the point?
MvK
steffie268 wrote:
I'm still in the research phase prior to building my first rack - I'm not new to synthesis but modular does present some nice new challenges wink
In any case, the first thing I'd think of trying to DIY would be a multiple with an attenuator on each output and a switch to off-set the voltage by +2,5 V.
Why? Let's say you want to send an LFO to multiple destinations...Some may accept -2,5 to +2,5 V while others might require 0-+5V... Also in some destinations the control pot for the input might act as an attenuator but it might also act as an off-set, in which case the signal might have to be attenuated prior to entering... If you could do that in a single module, wouldn't that be very conventient? Or have I missed the point?

no, you're not missing the point :-) these kinds of tools are actually very important parts of modular and they make your great big super high end modules work. Concerning your project I'd suggest attenuversion. That way you're not only able to decrease the modulation depth of an output, you can also invert the modulation. That can be very useful. Example: you modulate the filter frequency with the sum of an AD-envelope and a LFO. While the LFO output goes directly to the cutoff freq. The negative version of it can modulate something like the level (via VCA) or the decay time of the envelope at a certain "negative" depth. That way, every time the LFO goes up the impact of the envelope is reduced. Useful to keep your modulation "window" in check.

something like this comes to mind as an inspiration for your project:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/livestock-electronics-felix

The selection of the right tools depends highly on the modules you want to modulate. A 2-4hp Filter will likely have less attenuation on its CV inputs than a 10-20hp one.

Offset:
Also very dependent on your modulation destinations. Sometimes you just don't need it because many "parameters" have their own knob which is nothing but an offset (a fixed voltage that is added (mixed) to a signal) In the example above it is the cutoff knob of the filter. Its also ok the modulate the filter bipolar. In that case you set the zero point with the cutoff knob (offset) but for many things offset is very important like if you want to have a bipolar signal modulate a VCA. Without offset only the positive portion of the signal would modulate, which can be great but if you want the whole signal it has to be unipolar.

But I wouldn't use a switch with a fixed voltage, because there are so many more applications for offset where you need different voltages.
Eurtrude
steffie268 wrote:

While I agree a module like this would be super useful to save quite a lot of patch cables / modules, some will say "this is modular so just use a multiple + attenuaverter module" smile
Eurtrude
I wish someone could make a module that "breaks" an incoming CV source to 2 outputs : one for CV values of that source lower than a threshold value defined by the user, and the other for the CV values greater than the same threshold.

With that, you could, for example, use the same CV sequence to control 2 modules : one for the bass, one for the lead.

I think you can achieve the same results using comparators and switches but it would again save a lot of patch cables.
Daisuk
Eurtrude wrote:
I wish someone could make a module that "breaks" an incoming CV source to 2 outputs : one for CV values of that source lower than a threshold value defined by the user, and the other for the CV values greater than the same threshold.

With that, you could, for example, use the same CV sequence to control 2 modules : one for the bass, one for the lead.

I think you can achieve the same results using comparators and switches but it would again save a lot of patch cables.

Half wave rectifiers can do this to bipolar signals, but you probably already knew that. wink like this one:

http://www.cfmodular.com/bipolar-half-wave-rectifier.html
matcsat
Hi,

Eurtrude wrote:
... I wish someone could make a module that "breaks" an incoming CV source to 2 outputs : one for CV values of that source lower than a threshold value defined by the user, and the other for the CV values greater than the same threshold ...

... I think you can achieve the same results using comparators and switches but it would again save a lot of patch cables ...

i think a min/max module and a manual voltage source can do that, only minor thing is the threshold voltage is shared by the two output (like in your example), ... you can't have a gap between the two, for example one output below -1V and the other above 2V, for this you need two min/max modules and two manual voltage source.*

In the end it's only one cable more.

[edit] it seems the Ladik U-040 incorporate both functions.

Marco.

* [edit] i was actually wrong, one min/max module is enough.
cptnal
matcsat wrote:

[edit] it seems the Ladik U-040 incorporate both functions.

Marco.

something wonderful

...and I thought I was done for the moment. Dead Banana
Shledge
The disting mk3/4 can do this too via the min/max algo.
matcsat
... after more thinking about it, a gap between the two output is easly achievable with a secont manual voltage source. (i know nobody ask for this, but it's interesting to think how far the idea can go)

Let say you have an LFO +-5V and two fixed voltage at -1V and +2V: the min output would be from -5V to -1V and the max output from +2V to +5V, the min and max outputs stay at the respective threshold level until the LFO go beyond or below respectively.

Marco.
Pighood
Euro version of Korg’s MOSS board fap fap fap...
joeTron
A sequencer that doesn't just do "performance" sequencing but also stores ideas into song parts for stringing together.
Bath House
I want a CV crossfader module with adjustable crossover curve between signals A and B, where at center both signals are added and at hard left only signal A is present and hard right only signal B is present.
DJMaytag
A version of the Expert Sleepers ES-5 that has 8x CV out instead of gate outs, plus the same 6x headers for other ESX modules.
ayruos
I feel the need for a stereo crossfader now grin

I know I can get it done with some elaborate patching, but a dedicated multichannel stereo crossfader would be super considering I find myself working in stereo with the Morphagene, QPAS and Clouds quite extensively these days. I do have the X-Pan too. So outputs from a couple of those into a stereo panner for further processing or output or just being able to crossfade between the different QPAS outputs would be super.
cackland
Mentioned this to Intellijel on their forum.

Would love an ES8 in Intellijel 1U. A simple 8 channel input, sent via usb to the computer. Then the signal can be routed like a normal audio interface inside the DAW.
bedhed3000
ayruos wrote:
I feel the need for a stereo crossfader now grin

I know I can get it done with some elaborate patching, but a dedicated multichannel stereo crossfader would be super considering I find myself working in stereo with the Morphagene, QPAS and Clouds quite extensively these days. I do have the X-Pan too. So outputs from a couple of those into a stereo panner for further processing or output or just being able to crossfade between the different QPAS outputs would be super.

Looks like this exists now: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-axys--
ayruos
bedhed3000 wrote:

Looks like this exists now: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-axys--

Ooooh, nice find! I'll add this to the list of wants grin
ayruos
Bath House wrote:
I want a CV crossfader module with adjustable crossover curve between signals A and B, where at center both signals are added and at hard left only signal A is present and hard right only signal B is present.

Can't you do this with an X-Pan?
cptnal
...what I would find handy right about now is a comparator with a built-in volt meter (or two, since it's comparing). You know, kinda like how the Z3000 displays its frequency. These things can be a Dickens of a thing to get just so. Sure, I have my O'Tool, but this is a fantasy thread, right? Mr. Green
Arneb
Bath House wrote:

Not entirely sure what you mean...
Crossfading of CV: I'll probably buy the the Emblematic Systems Catalyst for this purpose at some point
Voltage-controlled crossfading of CV: Same but with the expander
Voltage-controlled crossfading of audio: That use case should just be the X-Pan.
Shledge
Bath House wrote:

Overdrive CV modulation (any amplifying VCA will do the job - Veils can easily overdrive a signal), then take the output and into the crossfader. It'll do the same job.
VibratingMotorGate
A CV-able A-138e Quad Three-Way Crossfader would pretty much be the dopest thing imaginable. A Nutube oscillator and/or filter.

I was thinking about rectification the other day and thought it would be cool to have something with 2 inputs being summed: 1-getting positive half-wave, 2-getting negative. But 2 is silenced during the positive cycle of 1 (and visa versa) through some kind of gating VCA being controlled by a syncing function. However if either of the summed outputs goes below/above (depending on the input) the zero point during its cycle, the opposite input will give out a negative phase output, but in the opposing input rectification stage. Would require 4 VCA's and half-wave rectifiers, plus 2 comparators and summing stages.

Also thought about being able to CV the "zero-point" of the rectification stages. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of half-wave rectifiers on the market.

Actually, I just thought of something even more nightmarish: a mixer right? wrong: it's a morpher between input signals! hihi hyper eek! help what would the latency be on something like that anyways?
Sandrine
joeTron wrote:
A sequencer that doesn't just do "performance" sequencing but also stores ideas into song parts for stringing together.

That sounds interesting!
deftinwulf
malnatim wrote:
maybe this is unfeasible, but i've been wondering about the idea of a cassette tape delay module.

I love it when old posts from threads like these call out a crazy future module that actually comes to exist. applause

https://www.t-rex-effects.com/replicator-module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Page 26 of 27