MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The modules that should exist (but don't)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author The modules that should exist (but don't)
Daisuk
Do you have any ideas for a module that really should exist, that doesn't? I have a couple of utility modules that I'd love to have, that I haven't really found anywhere.

Quad Slew Limiter - would love to have a simple and slim slew limiter to pair with my Pressure Points. 4 inputs, 4 outputs, 4 knobs, no need for any CV control. Would be the perfect partner for a Pressure Points. Doepfer has a module that can do two signals at the same time. 4 would be better. wink

Quad panner - I know there are a few modules in the making, and quite a few around already (The Circuit Abbey one, and the upcoming Praga, for instance), but the Circuit Abbey can only output one stereo signal and has no CV control, and the Praga is huuuge. What about one module with say 4 inputs, 4 CV control inputs, 4 outputs, 4 knobs. I know that module has to be of some size, but surely it can be slimmed down somewhat if the designed is streamlined. I don't really know, I'm just thinking there should probably be a way. wink

Anyway - if you have an idea for a module you'd like to see - let's hear it!
itege
For your panner idea wouldn't you have to have 8 outputs for the 4 inputs to be panned? Or are you talking 2 stereo pairs?
Daisuk
I might not understand something very basic about panning and audio signals , but wouldn't it be possible to say pan an incoming mono signal a bit left of center, and simply output that signal to an audio mixer as a panned signal, and let that final audio mixer take care of the stereo output?
sempervirent
Daisuk wrote:
Do you have any ideas for a module that really should exist, that doesn't?

Yes, quite a few!
ben_hex
Daisuk if you want stereo you need two outputs so you can't have 4 ins with panning and individual 4 outputs. With one in and one out there no panning to do. As itege said you need 8 outputs. So 4 mono ins and 4 stereo outs (8 actual outputs, input 1 left out input 1 right out and so on). So you'd have 16 jacks, 4 ins, 4 cvs, 8 outputs. But without any mixing or anything this doesn't seem useful to me. Just take the input straight to a mixer and just pan it a bit to the left or whatever.

The Praga isn't huge for what it packs in (presuming its coming soon!), 4 channels with cv-able level, pan, manual knobs and two send and returns. Well packed in I think.
dude
Daisuk wrote:

Quad Slew Limiter - would love to have a simple and slim slew limiter to pair with my Pressure Points. 4 inputs, 4 outputs, 4 knobs, no need for any CV control. Would be the perfect partner for a Pressure Points. Doepfer has a module that can do two signals at the same time. 4 would be better. wink

doesn't doepfer have a quad slew in their vocoder series? and really a maths is a pretty good pp companion imo.
Daisuk
ben_hex wrote:
Daisuk if you want stereo you need two outputs so you can't have 4 ins with panning and individual 4 outputs. With one in and one out there no panning to do. As itege said you need 8 outputs. So 4 mono ins and 4 stereo outs (8 actual outputs, input 1 left out input 1 right out and so on). So you'd have 16 jacks, 4 ins, 4 cvs, 8 outputs. But without any mixing or anything this doesn't seem useful to me. Just take the input straight to a mixer and just pan it a bit to the left or whatever.

The Praga isn't huge for what it packs in (presuming its coming soon!), 4 channels with cv-able level, pan, manual knobs and two send and returns. Well packed in I think.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I thought you might be able to transfer a panned mono signal from one module to output it through a stereo module somehow, but it does sound a bit nonsensical when I think about it. :p The Praga looks very nice, indeed!

dude - do you know which module that is? I already have a Maths, and love to pair it with my PP, but it can only slew two signals.
daverj
dude wrote:
doesn't doepfer have a quad slew in their vocoder series?

5-channel attenuator, offset, and slew limiter. The A-129/3. It requires an A-129/4 to control the slew.
Abraxis
Isn't the Planar a quad panner, among other things?
L.C.O.
4HP gate/CV delay.

1. Send a gate to the input.
2. Set the delay time (a knob and CV control over the delay time).
3. Gate comes out of the output after the set delay time.

That's all.
Jimmersound
L.C.O. wrote:
4HP gate/CV delay.

That's all.

Check out the Circuit Abbey Tripfire. thumbs up

Might be what you want.
JohnLRice
I don't see why a 4 input 4 output VC panner wouldn't work! thumbs up

At zero CV in:
input 1 is in output 1 100%
input 2 is in output 2 100%
input 3 is in output 3 100%
input 4 is in output 4 100%

As positive voltage increases the input is panned to the next highest numbered output, say for argument's sake 1 volt per full shift to the next step. Negative voltage might pan in the opposite direction.

The tricky part may be getting inputs to pan from output 4 to output 1? hmmm..... Maybe some sort of 'through-zero' modulation might be good for this? Or maybe X and Y CV inputs might be workable to create lissajous type modulations so you can get the outputs rotating in a continuous direction etc.?

First person to manufacture one of these in 5U or eurorack is welcome to send me one for testing! Mr. Green
sloth713
I have no idea if it is possible but something like the quantum rainbow 2 or Liivatera Noise Source in 2HP.

Edit also a 2 HP module with a buffered multiple and unity mixer would be cool.
strettara
I would like an LFO with a digital readout so I could set it precisely to cycle once every 23 seconds or whatever. Something like a z3000, but as an LFO - cycle times from say 0,0005 Hz (around 30 minutes) to 50 Hz.
euromorcego
Quote:
The modules that should exist (but doesn't)

well, that would be XAOC Praga, Mutable Instruments Peaks, Intellijel Pulse Tornado .... and a few more.

otherwise something in 2hp what is already available in 4hp is not an overly exciting addition to eurorackland.

i think on the digitial side there are still a lot possibilities unexplored. As for a more down to earth stuff stuff, i would like to see a truly modular mixer, that is: i can add channel strips as i wish, mono, stereo, with CV, without, with pan or aux, without. And as many channels as I want, not a pre-defined number of 4.

as for the panner: doepfer announced once a very interesting module (think it would be great to handle drums): http://www.doepfer.de/a1352.htm

There you would have your quad panner. But there was zero interest, so it never got produced.
analoglsd
strettara wrote:
I would like an LFO with a digital readout so I could set it precisely to cycle once every 23 seconds or whatever. Something like a z3000, but as an LFO - cycle times from say 0,0005 Hz (around 30 minutes) to 50 Hz.

Fuck yeah. Never thought about it in those terms, but now you've done gone and broadened my horizons.
I use really long LFO's all the time, usually through Pam's to QPLFO, but I always have to listen to each division first to make sure it's long enough. Something more direct would be sick!
JohnLRice
strettara wrote:
That would be really useful! thumbs up

Another thing that might be cool, is a Coordinated Universal Time event generator. (see http://www.hamuniverse.com/utctime.html ) It probably wouldn't be practical to build a good enough radio receiver into a module . . although there are lots of reasonably priced clocks and watches that have it. hmmm..... Anyway, coordinated world wide music events could be orchestrated, time of day interactive sound installations could use it, internet concerts/jams could use it etc.
narwhal
spectral modules please.
analoglsd
JohnLRice wrote:

Another thing that might be cool, is a Coordinated Universal Time event generator. (see http://www.hamuniverse.com/utctime.html ) It probably wouldn't be practical to build a good enough radio receiver into a module . . although there are lots of reasonably priced clocks and watches that have it. hmmm..... Anyway, coordinated world wide music events could be orchestrated, time of day interactive sound installations could use it, internet concerts/jams could use it etc.

YES!!!...and the seconds clock will put out a trigger so everyone is in sync!!!
Syncopated solstice jams, holiday jams, birthday jams...we could change the world!
JLR is right on! thumbs up
You're a fucking saint for even proposing something like this.
When I saw the thread title I was like, "What does my system need?", but you're like, "What does the Community at Large need?".
Respect. SlayerBadger!
ETP
since i have the a-152 i think that would be cool: a split Version of the 152.

vc digital gate selector (maybe with two gates?)
vc 8 channel t&h (s&h)
vc 8 channel Switch bidirection (i think i saw an interesting one here yesterday)

to save space maybe 6 or 7 channels would be enough.

and of course a nice 4hp voltage and gate controllable shift Register with gate control (plus Switch) for sequence lenght. 4 5 7 steps????

but thats not really new. i imagine that gate/Trigger moduls could be done with new Features. something like this "euclid" thing
plogbidman
An 8-Channel mixer to go with the a-161.
Daisuk
[quote="euromorcego"]
Quote:

as for the panner: doepfer announced once a very interesting module (think it would be great to handle drums): http://www.doepfer.de/a1352.htm

There you would have your quad panner. But there was zero interest, so it never got produced.

Whaaat? They never produced that? Looks like a great module. Damn.

Lots of good suggestions here. A universally synced clock module sounds really cool. I've also always been a bit annoyed with LFO's in all types of synths, you more or less always have to guess its intervals (or listen to it closely for a long time, if you want a long LFO), so strettara's suggestion sounds very useful.
maudibe
A simple request.

A *simple* high quality panning mixer, 8 inputs with pan, two outputs with level control. Not cv controlled, no auxys. Just a simple mixer, preferably with a small hp size. Even if it means using mini pots.

Function, to allow you to easily work with 8 mono sources and place them in stereo for a 'global' out put for your rig.

I am currently using a MFB Drum-98 to do this... but I reckon it could be better.

The big toys like the dub mix are excellent, but hugely expensive once expanded to do the full monty. And also very BIG
L.C.O.
Jimmersound wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:
4HP gate/CV delay.

That's all.

Check out the Circuit Abbey Tripfire. thumbs up

Might be what you want.

Tripfire is very close, but not it.
I bought it, then returned it.
If memory serves me right there were two main problems: it is a multifunction module, but does not retain the settings after startup, so it had to be manually reset every time. And, it was not reliably consistent in behavior (as in, it did not always respond the same way to the same signal).

Anyway. Good call, but not the module I would love to see! :-)
conscious
A-157 or similiar, and a bigger bytom
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 1 of 23