MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What FX to get? Help me complete my setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author What FX to get? Help me complete my setup
DanielW
This is a shameless cross-post from Gearslutz. Hope you don't mind too much.

OK, this is the situation:

Got legendary V/A – Nord Modular
Got decent analog semi – the MFB Kraftzwerg
Got fantastic filter – Sherman Filterbank v 2
Got deranged noise device – Bugbrand BoardWeevil

Getting this week: WMD Geiger Counter, by all accounts a terrific device for creating extreme noise terror
Getting this week: EHX Holier Grail – great reverb box

What else do I need that isn't covered by this stuff? I make noise and dark instrumental tracks.

Would a Jomox T-resonator be a good idea? Or is that basically the same territory as the Sherman Filterbank? Probably a delay of some kind would fit into the setup. The T-resonator has a delay function, but a pretty unusual one I believe?

Of the more "ordinary" delays, which one's the best? I hear a lot of good things about the Eventide Timefactor, are there any others you'd recommend?
xart
Sweden ja?

Buy local and get the Mushroom Echo! thumbs up

I think you will like it!

http://moodysounds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&produc ts_id=170

bsmith
I've got a Time Factor, I love it. An electro harmonix 2880 if you want to mess with some deep looping stuff.
I scored an old Maestro stage phaser today off craigs list, and it's just amazing, didn't know I wanted a phaser until this thing.
Got a good pre? My Chandler Germanium is the most important piece of gear I own - that with a royer 121 covers a lot of ground.
CursedFrogurt
Absolutely love my EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai. It does some really wonderful things when taken to its extremes, it can be an amazing noise box. For instance, it's loop feature is post-delay, so you can loop your delayed signal in almost any of the delay modes, and I usually end up routing the left out back into the right in and reprocess the loop with live knob twiddling for noise mayhem. I've found it equally wonderful at plush musical delays and amazing digital glitchiness. If you want ultimate control, probably can't go wrong with the Time Factor as previously recommended, but if you want a digi delay with some serious personality, I can't recommend the SMM w/ H enough.

If you want to hear some samples of the retarded shit it can do, let me know.
joey
i'd like to hear some retarted shit.
CursedFrogurt
Incoming retarded shit.

http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/afr2-4-1
A percussion-y loop built from tapping on an acoustic guitar and glitching it out by adjusting delay time (SMM does not pitch bend when you adjust the delay time, it does . . . weird things), then reprocessed by the SMM again with live knob twiddles.

[edit] I made a soundcloud account:

http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/do-you-remember-trees
Processed guitar and radio. I don't know what the fuck I was doing, really.

http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/afr2-1
More musical, then not so much later on. A couple of minutes in you can hear the sound that fractals make.

The only processing on these tracks is the SMM. No tricks, these are the sounds that come out of that pedal.
joey
yeah I had a hazarai for about two hours, bought it thinking I could get pitch bends on delays (without testing of course because I'm a genius) and then was like fuck all when I found out it didnt.

ended up returning it and getting a keeley modded Ibanez AD9
DanielW
CursedFrogurt wrote:
Absolutely love my EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai. It does some really wonderful things when taken to its extremes, it can be an amazing noise box. For instance, it's loop feature is post-delay, so you can loop your delayed signal in almost any of the delay modes, and I usually end up routing the left out back into the right in and reprocess the loop with live knob twiddling for noise mayhem. I've found it equally wonderful at plush musical delays and amazing digital glitchiness. If you want ultimate control, probably can't go wrong with the Time Factor as previously recommended, but if you want a digi delay with some serious personality, I can't recommend the SMM w/ H enough.

If you want to hear some samples of the retarded shit it can do, let me know.

You convinced me! Or, trying the Memory Man out in the shop with my Micro Modular eventually did. But thanks for the tip!
hawkfuzz
FUZZ would be great. Especially some oscillating fuzz like the Fuzzhugger Absynth...or maybe a bit crusher.
onrust nv
Mastotron fuzz of Zvex
tuj
Catlinbread Harmonic Pixelator.
mooghappy
Delays are worth getting, a couple nice ones out there:
Roland SDE rack delay, cheap and nice sound.
Ibanez Modulation delay DML from the 80's, also digital but still great sound and six knobs, gives you interesting pitch modulation and chorus/flange type stuff as well. Not the easiest to find but they show up now and then.

I love Catalinbread stuff, their sounds I find are usually modern aggressive but still quite fulfilling. Haven't tried the Pixelator yet, but it looks cool.

If you want totally crazy fuzz stuff, Death By Audio is a good choice.
Wah pedals are a lot of fun too.
Morley
Eventide H3000 would be cool
toothless_wonder
I recently aquired an eventide Orville , broken !!!

Now I need to send it back to Eventide and for around 1700$ (still a lot if cash) they will not only fix it but acctually turn it into a full pleged Eventide FW8000.
slovo
toothless_wonder wrote:
I recently aquired an eventide Orville , broken !!!

Now I need to send it back to Eventide and for around 1700$ (still a lot if cash) they will not only fix it but acctually turn it into a full pleged Eventide FW8000.

Wow, that is so cool. Not cheap but wow, what a company.

I think that the best thing to trust to pedals is stuff like fuzz. It might take a few hours but check out the stuff on the proguitarshop youtube demos. If you can't find a sound you like on there, well, then you must be looking for something that hasn't been invented yet. That's for the cheap stuff. If you're serious about modular interaction, try anything made by Diamond pedals. Their stuff is fucking gorgeous inside and out, and most of them have expression pedal control. If you're down with digital, all of the little Eventide boxes allow expression control of basically every variable. Pricey but powerful.

I have a Timefactor and I'm 100% satisfied. I'd say that even the tape delay and mod delay don't have much in the way of character -- but if you're looking for a really really flexible delay pedal, it just... does everything. As a rhythm guitarist, I use the Duck Delay most often, but all the modes are useful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1