MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Spectral Analyzer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla Spectral Analyzer?
fireclown
Came across a picture of the Serge and Buchla pieces at ye olde EMS studios of yore, and it jarred a remaining memory of the Buchla Spectral Analyzer (I believe that is what it was, along with what may have been a Buchla touch keyboard, rather than the Serge TKB I had thought it might be in my memory) so if this pic helps, would anyone like to comment on these pieces? I think the other main Buchla utilities onsite was some sort of Buchla 400 patch memory software?(I know, yecch)
Sorry I didnt take better pics, if Id known then what I know now...
Id be in jail.
BugBrand
EMS in Stockholm?
I've got pics from a few years back somewhere - of both the Buchla and Serge systems (though much of that was being renovated at that time).
There WAS an amazing Buchla module that was maybe the Spectal Analyzer you mention - a lot of band pass filters with sliders and some very clever control / routing possibilities - it was too much for my brain to take in fully given the few hours I had there.
Hoping to get back later this year - fantastic place!
I'll try to find the pics...
fireclown
Nope, I should have stated the UC Santa Cruz Electronic Music Studios. Never set foot in Europe, myself. Love to see what pics you have!
ndkent
Buchla's current 255 Control Voltage Processor seems to be an accessory module for the long discontinued 296 spectral analyzer. A pair would cover all 16 bands.
xpander
i'd love to see the 296 remade. a buchla vocoder would be awesome, it looks like that's a capability under the "spectrum transfer" control.
zthee
The Stockholm EMS Serge and Buchla can be seen here:

http://www.analogue.org/mr/serge/
http://www.analogue.org/mr/buchla/

They've got 3 296 now I think.

I've seen one in pieces on a work bench.
It's a cool module and sounds awesome!
chimologic
I opened this hoping it was a new module announcement oh well. I've tried the ones at ems there were two in the system when I was there in September. Indeed they sound beautiful.
fireclown
thanks for those pics, nice to see it clearly. Sorry about any disappointments!
the bad producer
I've wondered if I could make something similar with Juergen Haible's String Filter boards, using Scott Juskiw's implementation (40 pots, 40 in/out patch points for each frequency band) and 40 envelope followers/VCA's...

I've not spent long thinking about the practicalities of making such a device - nor have I found much info about the 296 and how it actually works - but at some point I'm sure I will, I think it would need a fair amount of extra circuitry to work, but could be an amazing module/rack unit...

40 sliders though, I think it would need to be at least 2' long!

Charlie
ex_dead_teenager
They have a 296 at the University of Victoria in Canada I got to play with it when I was there last summer it seems like a really complicated module, lots of envelope followers on it. I wish I'd had more time to spend with it I got the feeling I could have spent hours with that module.
BugBrand
zthee wrote:
The Stockholm EMS Serge and Buchla can be seen here:

http://www.analogue.org/mr/serge/
http://www.analogue.org/mr/buchla/

They've got 3 296 now I think.

I've seen one in pieces on a work bench.
It's a cool module and sounds awesome!

Great to see these all so detailed!

I found my old pics just for the record:::

momo
Wowzers...
chimologic
the serge cabinet is full now too, they added a TKB and one other panel of goodness. I also noticed that whatever I used to clock the TKB triggered the Buchla envelopes without any problems or need for scaling so they might have modified the gate outputs to go up to 10 volts.

The Buchla system is 3 259 oscillators, 2 quad envelopes/lfo's, 2 quad low pass gates, 2 six channel mixers, 2 spectral filters 296, 2 frequency shifter/balanced modulators, 1 source of uncertainty. the keyboard/programmer.

And yes is behind a heavy steel door with Giant security Locks, so no we can't steal it.
igormpc
@chimologic
and one triple envelope follower on the right of keyboard, it isn't?
nice system! thumbs up
chimologic
igormpc wrote:
@chimologic
and one triple envelope follower on the right of keyboard, it isn't?
nice system! thumbs up

Yes I think so. I had 0 Buchla lust until I played that dmmn system. I came back ready to send a check to Don's name. waah
indexofmetals
has the 200e system filled that thirst?

personally, the only modular I'm waiting to come up for sale would be a buchla 100 system
chimologic
indexofmetals wrote:
has the 200e system filled that thirst?

personally, the only modular I'm waiting to come up for sale would be a buchla 100 system

Yes to the 200e, combined with a 258v and my serge stuff for processing (tkb, wilson delay, freq shifter and resonant filter specially) yes so far with only 6 modules and 6 to go to fill the 12 space cabinet...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1