MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Morton Subotnick
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Morton Subotnick
D/A A/D
Is soooooo the fucking man... Holy fuck, I just got a copy of Sidewinder (original pressing) in the mail and this shit is SICK. Pure buchla lovin...

If you haven't heard his stuff before, do yourself a favor and DO!!!

Two of his best are Sidewinder and Buterflies.
felix
oh yeah, big +1 on Morty!
Muff Wiggler
+1 from me as well, it's awesome stuff
Roycie Roller
+1 here! I got a cd that has Silver Apples of the moon & The Wild Bull on it. It's the kind of record that takes ten listens to finally hear everything thats happening, & then keeps sounding different each listen. Subotnick worked very closely with Don when Don was building his early instruments. Such a great sound!
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
Silver Apples of the moon & The Wild Bull

That's the one I've got too.
It Rules!

How does "Sidewinder" compare?
I'll be on the lookout for it.
D/A A/D
Roycie Roller wrote:
+1 here! I got a cd that has Silver Apples of the moon & The Wild Bull on it. It's the kind of record that takes ten listens to finally hear everything thats happening, & then keeps sounding different each listen. Subotnick worked very closely with Don when Don was building his early instruments. Such a great sound!

Well early on Don was more of an engineer than a musician, Morton was a Theologists and a Composer - it wasn't until the inception of the Buchla that he found his instrument for performance. What a team!

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Quote:
Silver Apples of the moon & The Wild Bull

That's the one I've got too.
It Rules!

How does "Sidewinder" compare?
I'll be on the lookout for it.

Sidewinder is really plucky and woody, the second side however has some awesome noise and fm textures. But as far as I am considered, Sidewinder is the best showcase of "the Buchla sound"...

Alex
Roycie Roller
I love that woodiness of Buchla. That's vactrols that cause the tone, isn't it? I am going to buy a small configuration of 200e modules next year. A Complex Waveform Generator, Source of Uncertainty, Pitch Class Generator & Quad Function Generator. I love the designs for their quirkiness & functionality, and i reckon they take the prize for 'Craziest-looking modules'.
Kwote
Roycie Roller wrote:
I love that woodiness of Buchla. That's vactrols that cause the tone, isn't it? I am going to buy a small configuration of 200e modules next year. A Complex Waveform Generator, Source of Uncertainty, Pitch Class Generator & Quad Function Generator. I love the designs for their quirkiness & functionality, and i reckon they take the prize for 'Craziest-looking modules'.

sounds like you could use a Wogglebug and Waveform City.
Roycie Roller
True...
The Wogglebug is a wild module! And i heard of a Waveform City stuffed with 9 Eproms, with a total of 2,314 waves (or thereabouts). Is that some kind of world record? Mind-blowing ingenuity!
The Buchla is just a dream...but it always pops up. I need to slap myself to remind me that, like Muff reckons, there's more important stuff to put before buying a Buchla, like...eating. smile
Kwote
bahh. eating is overrated. if it wasn't for my wife i'd be eating pb&j sandwiches every meal just to spare some cash for more gear.
Muff Wiggler
anyone ever listened to John Chowning's stuff? I often see his CDs listed along with Morty's stuff, and I love Mort but don't know any Chowning firsthand.....
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
anyone ever listened to John Chowning's stuff? I often see his CDs listed along with Morty's stuff, and I love Mort but don't know any Chowning firsthand.....

Hmmm, I have not heard of him...
felix
You have, you just don't realize it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chowning

The "father" of FM synthesis. Developed the DX7 stuff with Yamaha.
D/A A/D
felix wrote:

AKA the most evil man is synthesis... The father of disruptive technology... razz
Muff Wiggler
D/A A/D wrote:
felix wrote:

AKA the most evil man is synthesis... The father of disruptive technology... razz

lol
felix
Haha yes! And maker of much money for Stanford with the FM patent.
consumed

D/A A/D
THANK YOU!
greedmink
didn't know there was a clip out there... felt like if i had mentioned this show i'd be gloating but i just happen to live down the street.

This was Subotnick last year doing a version of Until Spring
http://www.sfstation.com/morton-subotnicks-until-spring-revisited-e333 91

This was SO worth it.. Of course, with all of us there's a little bit of, .. well, "i can say i saw him now"... but whatever he had behind his macintosh sounded excellent...
His sound source/assisants had interesting getups too... a full tuned set of wine glasses that would be set off in realtime with wet fingers and then subot. would process through a live mic

This was performed at RML which is 16 speaker surround room with video surround too. Sue C's live video FX were neat too.
http://www.myspace.com/recombinantmedialabs

I was SO bummed that i had to leave the recent Buchla demo in S.F. by Subotnick but i did hear/bootleg the 30sec soundcheck haha .,.. Not sure what the deal is but even with RML and an instore he gave in 2000, it always seems like the old synth guys gt booked in too small of a room.

The recent Subot. DVD's are worth nabbing used or rental and are really great sounding. Can't think of any other trivia.
Great thread! Huge influence now ... wasn't too impresed with silverapples way back when i first heard it and I still haven't warmed much to Chowning but ....
criticalmonkey
I never did get subotnick - I tried - love the buchla sound, just not a fan of the compositions - not sure why - i know i'm suppose too...
i'll try again - my every 10 year attempt must be due

Chowning and his standford bunch are more science then music - imho - not a bad thing, in fact wonderful, just not for me

John Bischoff is the only composer i've ever heard make the fm work
http://www.johnbischoff.com/
glasshand is a brilliant cd - as are many of his others
criticalmonkey
btw - there is a new book

http://www.amazon.com/Francisco-Tape-Music-Center-Counterculture/dp/05 20256174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217832481&sr=8-1

comes with a dvd including some live subotnik and others of the nor cal electronic music scene of the 60's - haven't watched it yet

pretty cool array of topics including some interview with and stories about buchla and the instruments he developed , subotnik, pauline oliveros and ramon sender

so far a good read - nor cal 60's electronic music scene
Roycie Roller
Thanks for that link- it looks like a great book/dvd package. I'm gonna pick that up along with the noise book D/A A/D recommended over in Synth Noise>A History of Noise.
I can't remember if i've mentioned this elsewhere, but i recently got a great compilation called 'OHM+ the early gurus of electronic music' 3xCD & DVD (Ellipsis Arts). It has Subotnick, Pauline Oliveros, Louis & Bebe Barron, Cage, Raymond Scott, and the list goes on. I recommend it highly- it's a great listen. The DVD also has Bob Moog talking about how he'd lie there imagining all the transistors & resistors 'talking' to each other- it's totally fascinating. It also has footage of Leon Theremin teaching Paul Lansky how to play the theremin- it's great!
notmiserlouagain
Roycie Roller wrote:
Thanks for that link- it looks like a great book/dvd package. I'm gonna pick that up along with the noise book D/A A/D recommended over in Synth Noise>A History of Noise.
I can't remember if i've mentioned this elsewhere, but i recently got a great compilation called 'OHM+ the early gurus of electronic music' 3xCD & DVD (Ellipsis Arts). It has Subotnick, Pauline Oliveros, Louis & Bebe Barron, Cage, Raymond Scott, and the list goes on. I recommend it highly- it's a great listen. The DVD also has Bob Moog talking about how he'd lie there imagining all the transistors & resistors 'talking' to each other- it's totally fascinating. It also has footage of Leon Theremin teaching Paul Lansky how to play the theremin- it's great!

I have OHM too, yes, outstanding compilation. Boat Women Song- this stuff has widened my horizon...

Also Wild Bull is so deep. Never had the chance to see Subotnick live, hope he will come to Europe some time soon...
andreasphh
notmiserlouagain wrote:

I have OHM too, yes, outstanding compilation. Boat Women Song- this stuff has widened my horizon...

Also Wild Bull is so deep. Never had the chance to see Subotnick live, hope he will come to Europe some time soon...

There are still a few tickets I think:
SO, 17.6.2018 20:30 UHR
Morton Subotnick @ Elbphilharmonie Hamburg

https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/de/programm/morton-subotnick-silver-app les-revisited-with-alec-empire-and-lillevan/8995
s.l.o.w
I saw him live last year at NYU, very impressive. Not only doing Silver Apples on its 50th anniversary, but a big percussion thing with several students as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2