MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack [Build Thread]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack [Build Thread]
logicgate
Just so you guys know, what I end up using at R39 on my other two LVCOs is a 1M5 resistor, now I get the full range of the square wave on them too and PW pot at FCCW position doesn't make the wave disappear.
sammy123
Cool. Glad you got it.
logicgate
Hey guys! Today I had some free time to fool around with my modular and recorded some audio. This is two LVCOs going into the yusynth minimoog filter clone. From the modular output into the crappy notebook mic in, but it's not that bad, actually.

Frequency of the LVCOs is being modulated by the turing machine, quantized by the Intellijel uScale. Filter cutoff is modulated by the 4ms PEG.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/167177852" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
LED-man
i want build the LVCO in MOTM and would start in order a MOTM panel from schaeffer.
But i have seen on many eurorack panels in the LVCO thread most panels have SIN out.
I´m wondering from where they have the signal - i dont find on the pcb pictures a SIN OUT connector.

further i miss here the schematics and BOM for the driver, one place for all documentation files - maybe on first page would be very helpful.
logicgate
Barcode, you are summoned to post here the driver related files lol

@LED-man

I know that you can check the driver schematics at Haible's website:

http://www.jhaible.com/living_vcos/jh_living_vcos.html

The tri to sin converter I don't remember from where he got the circuit.
tojpeters
MFOS
Barcode
Attached is the tri to sine I used. When I was working on the layout I did a quick search and found that one. It was simple enough.

I will work on getting the driver schematic exported today.
bsmith
Is there a bom for the driver board somewhere?
edit:
found on barcode's site....
http://www.baud-rate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Living-VCO-Dr iver-BoM-v1.1.pdf
Barcode
Here are the BoM's for the Barcode Edition of the VCO Core and the Driver.
LED-man
@Barcode:

have seen you found 2 failures on the pcb
shown on your website http://www.baud-rate.com/blog/

are this Isues on production pcbs too ?
Barcode
All of the issue I reported have been fixed on the production PCB's. thumbs up
LektroiD
Boards arrived today and look awesome. Anyone planning to do Eurorack panels for the full PCB set?
bsmith
so.. going off the bom - those 100n 0504 smt caps - having difficulty finding them on mouser - there don't seem to be any .1uf 0504 - any clues out there?
LED-man
bsmith wrote:
so.. going off the bom - those 100n 0504 smt caps - having difficulty finding them on mouser - there don't seem to be any .1uf 0504 - any clues out there?

Its a typo. Pls. Use 805
cleaninglady
Just looking at the components for the LVCO

I was wondering about a source for the SMT Tempco ?
LED-man
cleaninglady wrote:
Just looking at the components for the LVCO

I was wondering about a source for the SMT Tempco ?

Mouser sells this.
Panasonic
diablojoy
I am just using thru hole ones. I have a bunch of them
but I will run them under the chip just replace the socket with SIL strip socket
instead once the chip is inserted the bottom sits hard against the tempco
no thermal grease needed either.
sceledra
So I mistakenly made a post like this in the wrong place on the forum so I'm going to put it in the right place this time, fingers crossed. Would someone who has completed this build, be willing to share a Mouser cart and/or other order instructions for purchasing all of the needed components for this build? I do not have the background knowledge of parts to know for fact what I'm ordering is what is necessary. The last thing I want to do is order parts and then find out that all the resistors that I've ordered are 1% and they are supposed to be 5% and I didn't order the right ones because you're supposed to "know" that for this type of build that's what you need. Alternatively if someone would like to assuage my fears of this by saying that other than what the BOM actually states for specs on a part you don't have to be concerned with other specs for the parts. I'd be more than willing to compensate you for the time you spent compiling the info and responding if you care to share with me. Thanks
cleaninglady
diablojoy wrote:
I am just using thru hole ones. I have a bunch of them
but I will run them under the chip just replace the socket with SIL strip socket
instead once the chip is inserted the bottom sits hard against the tempco
no thermal grease needed either.

Cheers man , sounds good. SlayerBadger!

Do you have a certain technique for achieving optimum height of the Tempco for contact with the Chip ?
raisinbag
If I'm reading you right, the last few times I put a tempco over a chip I soldered it in after, plopped a glop of white stuff on chip, and soldered in place touching the top of IC. You can push the tempco off to the side ifyou ever need to remove chip. But if you solder it in after, it is easy to get height. I you do it under id use two strips of sil machied sockets and solder tempco just a wee bit above the top of those so chip will push against it when you pop the chip in sockets.
diablojoy
Quote:
I you do it under id use two strips of sil machied sockets and solder tempco just a wee bit above the top of those so chip will push against it when you pop the chip in sockets.

correct
also I found if you are using the small tempco's available from thonk you can just use a normal socket in which case install the socket then the tempco
the tempco leads will straddle the ends of the socket which are lower and places the tempco at almost the perfect height to push against the underside of the chip, I don't use thermal paste but if you do make sure it specifies it is not electically conductive,- most are and they also tend to creep over time that may cause a world of pain trying to track down a fault months later.
bsmith
So for that driver lm13600 - where are y'all sourcing this? Found this on mouser - pinout is the same, should it work fine?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/NJM13600D/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuUbyQT l9BuV%252bWkQ1cVapN4VDou46f5Gn8%3d
sammy123
I ordered a bunch from ebay.
LektroiD
bsmith wrote:
So for that driver lm13600 - where are y'all sourcing this? Found this on mouser - pinout is the same, should it work fine?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/NJM13600D/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuUbyQT l9BuV%252bWkQ1cVapN4VDou46f5Gn8%3d

Use LM13700, basically the same OTA
fuzzbass
Just have to say, Dymo Labelmate applause ! It reaffirms my faith in humanity that P-Touch did not put them out of business. I'm sure its toxic as hell, but the adhesive on these things is magical. You see panels made in 1960s with these things still clinging like mad. Wouldn't that be great if there were some on the Voyager spacecraft? They would still be stuck on after drifting through the cosmos for a billion years, and the ETs would no doubt be impressed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 2 of 25