MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Flux:FX New app by Adrian Belew. Mobgen, and elephantcandy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Flux:FX New app by Adrian Belew. Mobgen, and elephantcandy
GovernorSilver
http://flux.noii.se/
secretkillerofnames
Wow. Just yesterday I was thinking "I wish there were some multi-fx on the iPad that weren't either Kaoss Pad or Stomp Box clones."

This looks the business.
NYMo
Is this avail ?
( looked on site but didn't find it)

Cheers
secretkillerofnames
NYMo wrote:
Is this avail ?
( looked on site but didn't find it)

Cheers

Nope. Building hype. So annoying.
No space left in the Beta either.
GovernorSilver
I found out about this upcoming app on the iPad Musician FB group - dunno how some folks find out about stuff like this before others. One of the devs weighs in:

Quote:
Nick Mueller Hi all - im a part of the NOIISE collective that made this app. Nice to see your reactions! There are alot of questions here I will try to answer inline. You can also talk to us directly on our FB [noiiseaudio] or twitter. To start with, Adrian and his engineer Daniel are directly involved in this, it isnt a simple endorsement. Price - not fixed yet but we promise it will be good value. You get the whole thing not just a shell with in-app purchase options. Date to launch - probably August...

Quote:
Nick Mueller MIDI footswitching/control = yes. and it is FAST. Testing right now with the softstep2 [perfect match] but have gone through pretty much all the toys and they work.
GovernorSilver
It's out. Clif at Apptronica uses it here:

GovernorSilver
One of a bunch of official demos:

GovernorSilver
Announcement on Synthtopia:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/12/17/adrian-belews-fluxfx-app- is-now-available/
deltaphoenix
Anybody try it out yet?
GovernorSilver
deltaphoenix wrote:
Anybody try it out yet?

Not me personally but several peeps on the iPad Musician FB group and Audiobus forums have. The only serious complaint is that it's CPU intensive for iPad models older than 4th generation. Tips for improving performance were posted here:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/101264#Comment_101264
secretkillerofnames
GovernorSilver wrote:
The only serious complaint is that it's CPU intensive for iPad models older than 4th generation.

The main reason why I haven't bothered with it yet. If I can't process analog audio with my iPad2 then it won't be any use to me. Not in the market for a new iPad yet so... Om
GovernorSilver
secretkillerofnames wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
The only serious complaint is that it's CPU intensive for iPad models older than 4th generation.

The main reason why I haven't bothered with it yet. If I can't process analog audio with my iPad2 then it won't be any use to me. Not in the market for a new iPad yet so... Om

Well, you can do that. Nobody has reported that it absolutely will not process audio on an iPad 2.

What you probably can't do is run as many effects simultaneously, as stated in the Audiobus forum thread.
ritchiedrums
WOW! d'oh!
Looks like I have been ripped OFF angry

Apparently there are several FLUX apps by Belew! hmmm.....

Thought I bought this FX processor, but I didn't angry

This FLUX app I have is a glorified version of his New Album????

I am Not happy about this!!!!!!!!!! evil
NOIISE
Hi guys, Nick from NOIISE here - sorry ive been lurking for a bit but thought i should chime in...

Apologies about the confusion on the apps. let me try to clarify:

one app is the 'artwork' called FLUX by belewâ„¢ - http://bit.ly/getfluxapp
This is Adrian's own tunes/audio snippets/artwork put together into an app platform.

the second app [the one you are actually talking about] is the 'paintbrush' or processor called FLUX:FX - http://bit.ly/getfluxfx
This is his construction box of audio FX blocks to make some of his crazy sounds. Effects chain, XY control, MIDI, AB, IAA, sequencer etc etc

I can understand the confusion but hope that it will be clearer now that both are actually available. The connection was intentional by Adrian as they go together as part of a 'FLUX [app] strategy' which includes a new way of performing his music live.

Let me know if you have any questions about the app.

ritchiedrums wrote:
WOW! d'oh!

Thought I bought this FX processor, but I didn't angry

@ritchiedrums - i will send you a PM shortly...
secretkillerofnames
GovernorSilver wrote:

Well, you can do that. Nobody has reported that it absolutely will not process audio on an iPad 2.

What you probably can't do is run as many effects simultaneously, as stated in the Audiobus forum thread.

I've yet to read anything really coherent but I read someone post "forget about processing analog input with an iPad 2". I also read "this hurts the CPU worse than Turnado". I have Turnado. It used to work on my iPad2 but since the last few updates it has been barely functional. Works OK for processing samples but if I try to run audio through it just stutters and crashes.

This is without Audiobus. So I don't hold out much hope that my $20 is not going to be wasted. I would very much like to be wrong about this. meh
NOIISE

I've yet to read anything really coherent but I read someone post "forget about processing analog input with an iPad 2". I also read "this hurts the CPU worse than Turnado". I have Turnado. It used to work on my iPad2 but since the last few updates it has been barely functional. Works OK for processing samples but if I try to run audio through it just stutters and crashes.

We have had it working pretty well on iPad2s and iPad minis, depending on which of the effects you choose to use, and whether you sequence them heavily [as this understandably uses quite some processing]. The iPad2 really doesnt have alot of juice so dont expect 5 cathedral reverbs in a row.

This is without Audiobus. So I don't hold out much hope that my $20 is not going to be wasted. I would very much like to be wrong about this. meh

Im not going to tell you that you can max out everything and it will work flawlessly on iPad2 at minimum latency, but you can certainly still have alot of fun with the app.

Let me know if you have specific questions on your usage and i can try to run some stress tests.

Cheers,
Nick
secretkillerofnames
NOIISE wrote:

Im not going to tell you that you can max out everything and it will work flawlessly on iPad2 at minimum latency, but you can certainly still have alot of fun with the app.

Let me know if you have specific questions on your usage and i can try to run some stress tests.

Cheers,
Nick

OK well maybe I should give it a go. My main concern was the comment about "no analogue processing". The plan is to use it with the iStudio running synths and occasionally guitar through it. I've no idea what effects I want to use yet and would likely push it till it bleeds and then back off lol
Latency is probably not the hugest issue as I will be playing more ambient stuff.
NOIISE
[quote="secretkillerofnames"]
NOIISE wrote:

My main concern was the comment about "no analogue processing".

Which comment was that?
secretkillerofnames
[quote="NOIISE"]
NOIISE wrote:

My main concern was the comment about "no analogue processing".

Which comment was that?

Someone on the audiobus forum. I gather the implication was that it works better processing a file than streaming audio which makes sense given the results I've had with Turnado and csSpectral. I'm prepared to give it a go though - got some iTunes gift cards today!
secretkillerofnames
Well I've got it installed on my iPad2. Rebooted, set the latency to 512 and turned off the visuals.
So far getting around 60-70% CPU filling five slots so long as I don't use the sequencer or mess with the XY much.
Effects I've heard so far sound really good - much more useful than Turnado.
Sequencer has a tendency to overload things - glitches, dropouts and one crash to desktop so far. While it works it is pretty rad though.
roboticstormcloud
Nick of Noiise, what would you consider the minimum iPad for maximum gratification, if I were buying one new/used for this and other audio apps?

Would an iPad 3 keep up?

Ipad Air?

Or go right for the Air 2, which I know is more futureproof of a solution.

I am from Adrian's hometown, he wants me to be playing this app, I just know it. Support local music! Dead Banana
polyslax
Running on an iPad Air 1st gen 64GB. So far, so good running Flux in Audiobus with Samplr, Animoog etc. Running 3 to 5 fx puts the cpu somewhere between about 37 and 52, with regular spikes when I interact with Flux... note these momentary spikes don't impact audio. I have had a full crash 2 or 3 times.

I'm not used to using the iPad as more of a production tool. I've recorded the odd part out of it for use in a track in Ableton Live, but this is more involved. While the results have ranged from pedestrian to intriguing to awesome, I'm not super comfortable yet with the process. With the iPad not being a part of my regular workflow, I don't know how often I'd reach for this rather than a plugin or hardware box.

I'd say if your iPad has the muscle to handle Flux and the iPad is an integral part of your work it's definitely worth the price. Even as an occasional effer upper / inspiration machine I think it's worth the $20.
ritchiedrums
NOIISE
roboticstormcloud wrote:
Nick of Noiise, what would you consider the minimum iPad for maximum gratification, if I were buying one new/used for this and other audio apps?
Would an iPad 3 keep up?
Ipad Air?
Or go right for the Air 2, which I know is more futureproof of a solution. I am from Adrian's hometown, he wants me to be playing this app, I just know it. Support local music! Dead Banana

I would say go for the most CPU power you can get. We definitely dont recommend an ipad3 for music production as it doesnt have enough GPU grunt to handle the retina screen well. iPad4 is good, but the air/air2 are the way to go if you can afford it. I generally recommend the 16gb, the only reason you will need more than that is if you want big sample-based apps or a lot of recording on the iPad.

and also: http://instagram.com/p/yVPZ3-jq8Y/. Because modular!
NOIISE
ritchiedrums wrote:

@ritchiedrums:

btw - this is rad screaming goo yo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2