MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what will you do with your Wave Splicer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author what will you do with your Wave Splicer?
Chuck E. Jesus
thinking about placing a pre-order and looking for feedback...

the new Plan B Wave Splicer seems like a no-brainer perhaps, but i'm curious what you guys plan on doing with it (those buying them of course)...
spbaker
i was really torn about getting this module- but i figured with the AFG on its way i would have enough crazy waveforms to keep me happy for years, but now i think about it, it would enable me to turn any or all of my modulation sources into strange things.... i'm down for the ADSR & Headphone preamp (both necessities before the wavesplicer)- what would i do if i had one- well i'm sure it would play nice with my new ChaQuO- mixing a PWM square wave with the Chaotic output eek! reaaalll sloooww

it would be a real flexible addition to any set up!
sgnhh
The main application seems obvious, but I think it'd be cool to combine two Wave Splicers and chain them together.
REwire
The Wave Splicer is my most anticipated module to come along with the AFG. The sounds I made were cool and downright nasty at NAMM when I played with it. I asked Peter what would happen if you mixed a human voice or drum loop with an Osc and he said it would just stutter between the two sources. The results are the best when you put an LFO into the spice point CV in when two waveforms are being spliced. The sound was not far off from the AFG when it's doing it's complex animated output thing.
Chuck E. Jesus
REwire wrote:
The Wave Splicer is my most anticipated module to come along with the AFG. The sounds I made were cool and downright nasty at NAMM when I played with it. I asked Peter what would happen if you mixed a human voice or drum loop with an Osc and he said it would just stutter between the two sources. The results are the best when you put an LFO into the spice point CV in when two waveforms are being spliced. The sound was not far off from the AFG when it's doing it's complex animated output thing.

sounds what like what i was hoping for...i called Noisebug, they ain't making too many ELFs up front...hopefully i'm in the first run...i've figured one needs to jump on the mods when they are available...
felix
While not totally the same thing, I had been achieving a similar effect with a Doepfer A-150 VC Switch and an OSC that can output a square wave and other waveforms simultaneously (in my case, the M15).

You use the square wave as the control voltage for the switch, and patch the two waveforms that you want to "splice" into the two inputs, and then take the output.

It will switch between the two waveforms at the rate of the square wave. So in the case of using the square wave (control) and other wave forms from the same oscillator (assuming they are phase aligned) you achieve the same result as the wave splicer since they are switching at their zero crossings.

Now, if you like the nastier sound, use a square wave from a different oscillator for the CV of the switch. This means that the two waveforms will not "splice"at their zero crossings and it sounds particularly nasty.

I can't take credit for this idea, it's right from the Doepfer manual for the A-150. (Well...using a different rate square wave for the CV of the switch was mine).

I would imagine that the Plan B Wave Splicer would definitely sound much better when "splicing" waveforms at a much slower rate, where splicing at a zero crossing would make the change sound seamless...like if you were splicing two different LFOs or something. Doing this with the A-150 is very "choppy".
D/A A/D
I am stoked for this mod... I can't wait to see what happens when you input 2 different frequency osc's!!!
Chuck E. Jesus
officially ordered, also stoked thumbs up

Felix: i have the A-150 as well and have tried that patch, i'm thinking the same things you are...
REwire
One of the major functions of the AFG is the dual animated pulse and saw outs. You can simulate that with the A-150 (I use A-151) by feeding two synced waves (one inverted) to 1 and 2 and trigger it with one of the same pulses. For pulses, you can then PWM each one separately. Only the ASystems RS-95's have variable saws.

The problem is that the A-150 takes time to respond to it's Cv and will impart a glitch in beween each cycle and won't be as clean as the AFG nor do what the Splicer can do as it has a super clean transition point and can switch from one wave to the next or create new waveforms by switching before the first waveform has completed and that point being CV variable.
felix
REwire wrote:
One of the major functions of the AFG is the dual animated pulse and saw outs. You can simulate that with the A-150 (I use A-151) by feeding two synced waves (one inverted) to 1 and 2 and trigger it with one of the same pulses. For pulses, you can then PWM each one separately. Only the ASystems RS-95's have variable saws.

Hmm, I'll have to give that one a whirl.

REwire wrote:
The problem is that the A-150 takes time to respond to it's Cv and will impart a glitch in beween each cycle and won't be as clean as the AFG nor do what the Splicer can do as it has a super clean transition point and can switch from one wave to the next or create new waveforms by switching before the first waveform has completed and that point being CV variable.

Ah that makes sense, it always did sound a little "spikey".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1