MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone built a Blacet Oscillator?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Anyone built a Blacet Oscillator?
scozbor
Anyone had experience building a Blacet Oscillator?

I have just finished off the resistors (which were mostly pre-stuffed! woo!).
It all looks pretty straight forward. A couple of components I haven't dealt with yet (6 legged 'cans'). Jacks and wiring looks fun.....NOT.

Looking ahead there seems to be some pretty crazy calibrations which need frequency counters and things...

I'll post more specific queries as I get to them, but anyone got any advice for me???

help
Kwote
i haven't but the build from what i could tell just looks a bit more involved.

the calibration does seem like the most important part. but i think as long as you have a good dmm and something to tune against like a digital synth you'll be good.

i got an old casio for the tuning aspect so i think i'll be fine when my time comes(hopefully soon!)

also you'll probably want an oscilloscope. if you don't have one dont' fret. i'm using a software oscilloscope and it works just fine. i'll shoot you the software if you want. lemme know.
consumed
you can do a very good job calibrating your VCO using your ears and a digital reference oscillator. the only thing that would be nice to have would be an oscilloscope for adjusting the symmetry, but again your ears will do a pretty good job of that. just take your time.
Muff Wiggler
a scope is good to have almost regardless.... i originally wasn't gonna buy one, as i figured i would buy prebuilt modules, and john told me they all came calibrated.

anyway i couldn't get the scope idea out of my head, just for visuals. ended up seeing they could be had under $100, so i picked one up pretty early on.

Anyway, it's handy for a lot of things, nice to visualize what's going on in your synth, but I also found that of the four VCOs I bought assembled from Blacet, one needed re-calibration of the triangle symmetry. And all of them had slightly dissimilar sine waves, and benefitted from slight tweaks there as well.

then again, sometimes it's nice to have subtle differences in the waveforms of mulitple oscillators.
Kwote
i'd get one cuz i love how they look. beats the software a lot just for that glowing analog green light. but i just don't have the space.

i'm making some major adjustments right now for the sake of my current and future modules so hopefully i can work something out.
scozbor
well the build went great. it was a big one though!
so many freakin jacks and wires!!!

I used a vst oscilloscope for the waveform symmetry adjustments. and then I used a vst spectrogram(?) / frequency curve type thingy for the frequency adjustments. It probably wasn't too accurate, but I was able to see the dominant harmonics and do the calibration visually. If I find it's a problem in the future I will re-do it.

Actually I will probably end up re-doing all calibrations for every module at some stage when I get a good DMM.

very stoked with the VCO though. what a beast!
Muff Wiggler
scozbor wrote:
what a beast!

i agree. it's an amazing vco - one of the best... doesn't seem to get all the respect I think it deserves. That VC Wave (circuit by Grant R of Wiard) is just so awesome

plus it has like every feature under the sun and the sync sounds you can get are so killer SlayerBadger!
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
scozbor wrote:
what a beast!

i agree. it's an amazing vco - one of the best... doesn't seem to get all the respect I think it deserves. That VC Wave (circuit by Grant R of Wiard) is just so awesome

plus it has like every feature under the sun and the sync sounds you can get are so killer SlayerBadger!

i've only messed with the sync a little bit thus far and it's been cool. got some good patch settings to share?
Muff Wiggler
well tune two oscs to unison plug the square out of one into the other's sync jack, look at different waveforms on that osc while playing with the fine tuning on either of the oscs

also patching gates and clocks into the sync input can give you some good stuff

i usually use do the old fashioned osc sync to make different waveforms....
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
well tune two oscs to unison plug the square out of one into the other's sync jack, look at different waveforms on that osc while playing with the fine tuning on either of the oscs

also patching gates and clocks into the sync input can give you some good stuff

i usually use do the old fashioned osc sync to make different waveforms....

oh yeah. gates and clocks. that sounds fun! i've done the other one but haven't explored it much. i'll have some more time on it soon. been pretty busy selling and building. not jamming too much lately.

i got a couple frac racks, etc. on the way. i've actually got three of my older modules just sitting in a drawer right now as i've made room for my latest stuff but soon it'll all be up and playing together at which point it'll be impossible to resist jammin out again.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1