MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

who has the best knobs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author who has the best knobs?
amnesia
I LOVE the Livewire knobs, well actually the original Dual Cyclotron knobs were less prickly, more rounded to touch, but I do think they really suit the vibe of mad scientist modules.

Second is the Wiard/Maleko Davies Serge style knobs, great for tightly packed modules and nice and touch

The PLan B style knobs are ok rubbery and do the job.

I absolutely hate the Doepfer knobs, hate the grey and they are so yuk to use. I do like Doepfer modules :-)
DrOctave
STRIPPERS
amnesia
what company is that? applause
wetterberg
I really like the MakeNoise qmmg ones - they're ReAn soft touch, but a different model number than the normal Plan B ones. They're longer and feel a bit firmer.
dkcg
waah
I thought this thread was about wimmins. hihi

I like the Davies style knobs, they're slightly longer than the others in my system, and a little easier to tweak with the finger tips when surrounded by cables.
goiks
wetterberg wrote:
I really like the MakeNoise qmmg ones - they're ReAn soft touch, but a different model number than the normal Plan B ones. They're longer and feel a bit firmer.

yeah, i like these too, they're longer than the davies and have a nice taper. if i could find them to fit on my pots i'd use them instead of the davies. the ones i got from mouser were a little small on the inside.
JohnLRice
DrOctave wrote:
STRIPPERS

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
falafelbiels
The ones that come with MFB modules feel nice...
aristotle
the plan b ones the most...with the rubbery touch. Doepfers I dont mind...dont really care for the tall skinny ones like the makeNoise and serge style. Harvestman ones are interesting but the stems are a little loose for me...maybe their plastic or something.
timmah
I like harvestman knobs and the tapered sifam knobs i have on my doepfer stuff.

agree, hate doepfer knobs.
amnesia
timmah wrote:
I like harvestman knobs and the tapered sifam knobs i have on my doepfer stuff.

agree, hate doepfer knobs.

I do like your knobs Timmah they look cool on your system. Although if it was possible to have all davies knobs I would go that, then I wouldnt need a Serge (again!)
mateo
My favorite by far are moog style knobs; pretty much inexistant in euro land seriously, i just don't get it
Adam-V
With my recent foray into frac land, I'm really enjoying the rean soft touch knobs, they're a bit smaller than the Doepfer knobs but they offer really good grip and control. Has anybody fitted these to their Doepfer modules - do they come in a spline version?

I agree that the scientific look and feel of the Livewire modules is very appealing.

Cheers,
Adam-V
wetterberg
Adam-V wrote:
Has anybody fitted these to their Doepfer modules - do they come in a spline version?

Yes and yes.
http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?&tier1=Tools%2c+Fasteners+ %26+Production+Equipment&tier2=Fasteners+%26+Fixings&tier3=Knobs&tier4 =16mm+Soft+touch+knob&moduleno=64710&catref=32-0450

(oh, and I had forgotten to switch them out on the spring reverb, hehe. That's sorted now too.)
Adam-V
Brilliant! Thank you. I need to place an order with mouser so I might just have to grab a few to see if they work for me.

Cheers,
Adam-V
TrashWaveform
Love Livewire's knobs. Hate Doefper's knobs. I am a stickler for things being uniform so I will switch out all my knobs once I get to a point of having a completed 6U.

I hate knobs that look toyish or cheap. Livewire gives a look of class and professionalism. Makes the modules look their worth. So it bugs me to see a sleek designed module have knobs that seem out of place.
NV
I like having a variety of knobs - Livewire, Harvestman, MakeNoise, TipTop, so on. I think it gives the system a very diverse appearance while still keeping things cohesive in a very aesthetic way. I'm not really a fan of patchwork colors of panels, but I like having the variety of layouts and knobs.

The one thing I can unanimously agree to is that Doepfer's knob choice is pretty lame. The grey knobs on grey/silver panels just seems washed out to me, so I replace all of my Doepfer knobs with Re'an soft touch, like ye olde Plan B modules use. To me it makes the system look much more like a synthesizer and less like a refrigerator.
SquidInSquidInk
I love my Z3000, but the knobs are as ugly (and stiff!) as Doepfer. Livewire and Malekko are classy, but I also like the color variety of Make Noise.
TrashWaveform
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
I love my Z3000, but the knobs are as ugly (and stiff!) as Doepfer. Livewire and Malekko are classy, but I also like the color variety of Make Noise.
I mentioned TipTop but deleted it out of my original post because I thought I would be the only one and in for a world of hurt. (hides)
bar|none
I really like the harvestman knobs. So cool.
gwaidan
TrashWaveform wrote:
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
I mentioned TipTop but deleted it out of my original post because I thought I would be the only one and in for a world of hurt. (hides)

I actually really like those Multicomp knobs that TipTop uses-affordable, good ergonomics and grip. I find the Plan B/Re'An ones are a bit too short and slippery.
timmah
i dont like the tiptop knobs either.

but i don't mind too much, it's so easy to repace knobs to ones that you like.
aristotle
plan b knobs slippery?? hmmm.....
I like plan b knobs a lot for the opposite reason....they have a grip when turning them with one finger...because they are the most rubbery along with harvestmans....but I think harvestman uses cheaper stems...dont seem as sturdy to me....but its not gonna stop me from probably buying a piston honda! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Cybananna
I like the Plan B type and the Malekko knobs the best. I don't like Doepfer knobs. (modules are great, just don't like the knobs)
coomby
Cwejman knobs are the best. Like Harvestman but i prefer the colour code.

i've been trying to get Buchla (sifam/selco knobs) for my system but it's really hard to get hold of 'small' quantities in europe.

so i'm going to try for the next best thing: Cwejman knobs

anyone know where I can get these (splined) in europe ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3