MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

who has the best knobs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author who has the best knobs?
amnesia
I LOVE the Livewire knobs, well actually the original Dual Cyclotron knobs were less prickly, more rounded to touch, but I do think they really suit the vibe of mad scientist modules.

Second is the Wiard/Maleko Davies Serge style knobs, great for tightly packed modules and nice and touch

The PLan B style knobs are ok rubbery and do the job.

I absolutely hate the Doepfer knobs, hate the grey and they are so yuk to use. I do like Doepfer modules :-)
DrOctave
STRIPPERS
amnesia
what company is that? applause
wetterberg
I really like the MakeNoise qmmg ones - they're ReAn soft touch, but a different model number than the normal Plan B ones. They're longer and feel a bit firmer.
dkcg
waah
I thought this thread was about wimmins. hihi

I like the Davies style knobs, they're slightly longer than the others in my system, and a little easier to tweak with the finger tips when surrounded by cables.
goiks
wetterberg wrote:
I really like the MakeNoise qmmg ones - they're ReAn soft touch, but a different model number than the normal Plan B ones. They're longer and feel a bit firmer.

yeah, i like these too, they're longer than the davies and have a nice taper. if i could find them to fit on my pots i'd use them instead of the davies. the ones i got from mouser were a little small on the inside.
JohnLRice
DrOctave wrote:
STRIPPERS

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
falafelbiels
The ones that come with MFB modules feel nice...
aristotle
the plan b ones the most...with the rubbery touch. Doepfers I dont mind...dont really care for the tall skinny ones like the makeNoise and serge style. Harvestman ones are interesting but the stems are a little loose for me...maybe their plastic or something.
timmah
I like harvestman knobs and the tapered sifam knobs i have on my doepfer stuff.

agree, hate doepfer knobs.
amnesia
timmah wrote:
I like harvestman knobs and the tapered sifam knobs i have on my doepfer stuff.

agree, hate doepfer knobs.

I do like your knobs Timmah they look cool on your system. Although if it was possible to have all davies knobs I would go that, then I wouldnt need a Serge (again!)
mateo
My favorite by far are moog style knobs; pretty much inexistant in euro land seriously, i just don't get it
Adam-V
With my recent foray into frac land, I'm really enjoying the rean soft touch knobs, they're a bit smaller than the Doepfer knobs but they offer really good grip and control. Has anybody fitted these to their Doepfer modules - do they come in a spline version?

I agree that the scientific look and feel of the Livewire modules is very appealing.

Cheers,
Adam-V
wetterberg
Adam-V wrote:
Has anybody fitted these to their Doepfer modules - do they come in a spline version?

Yes and yes.
http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?&tier1=Tools%2c+Fasteners+ %26+Production+Equipment&tier2=Fasteners+%26+Fixings&tier3=Knobs&tier4 =16mm+Soft+touch+knob&moduleno=64710&catref=32-0450

(oh, and I had forgotten to switch them out on the spring reverb, hehe. That's sorted now too.)
Adam-V
Brilliant! Thank you. I need to place an order with mouser so I might just have to grab a few to see if they work for me.

Cheers,
Adam-V
TrashWaveform
Love Livewire's knobs. Hate Doefper's knobs. I am a stickler for things being uniform so I will switch out all my knobs once I get to a point of having a completed 6U.

I hate knobs that look toyish or cheap. Livewire gives a look of class and professionalism. Makes the modules look their worth. So it bugs me to see a sleek designed module have knobs that seem out of place.
NV
I like having a variety of knobs - Livewire, Harvestman, MakeNoise, TipTop, so on. I think it gives the system a very diverse appearance while still keeping things cohesive in a very aesthetic way. I'm not really a fan of patchwork colors of panels, but I like having the variety of layouts and knobs.

The one thing I can unanimously agree to is that Doepfer's knob choice is pretty lame. The grey knobs on grey/silver panels just seems washed out to me, so I replace all of my Doepfer knobs with Re'an soft touch, like ye olde Plan B modules use. To me it makes the system look much more like a synthesizer and less like a refrigerator.
SquidInSquidInk
I love my Z3000, but the knobs are as ugly (and stiff!) as Doepfer. Livewire and Malekko are classy, but I also like the color variety of Make Noise.
TrashWaveform
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
I love my Z3000, but the knobs are as ugly (and stiff!) as Doepfer. Livewire and Malekko are classy, but I also like the color variety of Make Noise.
I mentioned TipTop but deleted it out of my original post because I thought I would be the only one and in for a world of hurt. (hides)
bar|none
I really like the harvestman knobs. So cool.
gwaidan
TrashWaveform wrote:
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
I mentioned TipTop but deleted it out of my original post because I thought I would be the only one and in for a world of hurt. (hides)

I actually really like those Multicomp knobs that TipTop uses-affordable, good ergonomics and grip. I find the Plan B/Re'An ones are a bit too short and slippery.
timmah
i dont like the tiptop knobs either.

but i don't mind too much, it's so easy to repace knobs to ones that you like.
aristotle
plan b knobs slippery?? hmmm.....
I like plan b knobs a lot for the opposite reason....they have a grip when turning them with one finger...because they are the most rubbery along with harvestmans....but I think harvestman uses cheaper stems...dont seem as sturdy to me....but its not gonna stop me from probably buying a piston honda! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Cybananna
I like the Plan B type and the Malekko knobs the best. I don't like Doepfer knobs. (modules are great, just don't like the knobs)
coomby
Cwejman knobs are the best. Like Harvestman but i prefer the colour code.

i've been trying to get Buchla (sifam/selco knobs) for my system but it's really hard to get hold of 'small' quantities in europe.

so i'm going to try for the next best thing: Cwejman knobs

anyone know where I can get these (splined) in europe ?
Umcorps
wetterberg wrote:
Adam-V wrote:
Has anybody fitted these to their Doepfer modules - do they come in a spline version?

Yes and yes.

And another double yes here.

thumbs up
levka
Does anybody have a source for the Livewire knobs?

I mailed Mike Brown about it once, and if I remember well, he said they were NOS from Raytheon and kind of hard to obtain.

many thanks!
Joost
maise
many knobs here:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Knobs/
levka
maise wrote:
many knobs here:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Knobs/

Thanks a lot for this!
kollo
wow. was just going to order knobs from rapid but the cheapest shipping option to sweden was 25 pounds. thats quiiiite expensive, considering 5 LPs from uk is less than 10 pounds...
fonik
IMHO it is not the knob only that counts (it's material and diameter), but the potentiometer also. the same knob on different potentioemters will 'feel' different and the knob you like on one module might not feel right for you on a module of another manufacturer!? what do you think? or does the look overrule?
LDT
My choice is black Davies:

maise
fonik wrote:
IMHO it is not the knob only that counts (it's material and diameter), but the potentiometer also. the same knob on different potentioemters will 'feel' different and the knob you like on one module might not feel right for you on a module of another manufacturer!? what do you think? or does the look overrule?

yes, i think you are right.
it is the combination of knob and potentiometer that makes the haptical "feel" of a module. thats why i like the cwejmans, very solid and massive.
i think the manufacturers did a good choice, this way everything is unique and easy to find in a big system. doepfer with black knobs? no, i like it the hospital-grey-style...

skøl

maise
king fonk
Being a friend of bakelite and other resin plastics with a similar haptic to bakelite I favor the Eagle knobs as used by Livewire and the Davies 1900 (or their vietnamese clones) as used by Malekko.
VanEck
+ 1 for The Harvestman knobs.

I really enjoy how they look and feel, orange color and all. Some folks say they always seem too wobbly, but I've never really found it to be a feeling of "weakness". They just feel like they are meant to be tweaked out to me.

Second runner up would have to be LiveWire knobs for sure.
SquidInSquidInk
So, are these the knobs that Livewire uses?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=104

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=644

I'm considering them as Doepfer/Tiptop replacements, but I'm not sure the dimensions are correct and Small Bear's info is limited. Also, it looks like the Davies clones are still out of stock there.
wetterberg
I think this forum and the recent Serge-alike trend is largely to blame for the Davies-clone crisis of 2010 wink
Peake
I like the Davies knobs in Euro format.
theglyph
Those blue Buchla 200 knobs. I'd cut off a little toe to get a pile of those for my DIY work!
Qmod
fonik wrote:

totally agree with this statement.

diminutive knobs are okay if the underlying physical response is sure-footed - smooth with a modicum of resistance.

larger tactile knobs like livewire use are great aesthetically, but their diameter and finger grooves also help to physically "locate" pots that are perhaps too agile.

my favourite knobs and pots come from amateur radios and equipment where the resistance and balance is often tuned to the function of the knob and its particular range of movement.

multi-use knobs (pots) are fun too - like the push / pull type found on the grendel drone commander that activate different functions = 50% reduction in knob real estate.

My favourite knob of all time is the large multi-turn tuning knob on my FT2000 radio - with an independent resistance adjustment and motive weight that is big fun to use and tunable for any speed / graticule setting. I must say, even the radio's little knobs with rubberized tactile bands sporting tiny raised squares around the circumfrence feel real nice thanks greatly to the role played by the underlying mechanics that Fonik identified.

On the amateur radio knob thing - there are a lot of "boat-anchors" (dead radios and equipment) to be had cheaply. Often one pays for it by weight alone (see Dayton Hamfest photos). If you're big into DIY and retro-fits then this can be a good resource for unusual knobs and pots.

If you don't want to trawl around the junkyards - i found this guy online and I reckon he's got it covered (look under his knobs section)

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

or if you really wanna crap out with the old "a-bit-stuffed" look, then why not raid your grannies bakelite radio collection?

coomby
theglyph wrote:
Those blue Buchla 200 knobs. I'd cut off a little toe to get a pile of those for my DIY work!

I would certainly chip in one of my toes to that order
the bad producer
indeedaroony
Qmod
coomby wrote:
theglyph wrote:

I would certainly chip in one of my toes to that order

okay coomby - if you're dead set on buchla blue skirted knobs, start cutting and send your toe here:

http://www.buckeyeshapeform.com/buckeye-knobs/index.html

http://www.buckeyeshapeform.com/buckeye-knobs/pdf/knobs.pdf

http://www.buckeyeshapeform.com/buckeye-knobs/pdf/18-Knobs-NM.pdf
amnesia
Qmod
Amnesia

Why is that uLFO is not bolted down - sell it to me!

BTW The knobs are very nice!

gk
amnesia
i am waiting for my Monorocket case...all my modules have been in boxes for most 6 months while I believed Randal was going to release a great case, then I ordered a custom Monorocket and then changed my mind on the colour.

It should be here 15 Feb 2010 :-)

Cant wait :-)
Qmod
amnesia wrote:
...It should be here 15 Feb 2010 :-)

Cant wait :-)

Coincidence amnesia - my doepfer case is due early February (fingers crossed) - same euro train, different carriages I guess.

No jokes about meeting up at the station sometime to compare knobs - okay!
coomby
@Qmod: thanks for the suggestion. it's a nice try but these are not the Buchla knobs.

Buchla (together with many other companies) use Selco (Sifam) knobs.
I have contacted them and they only sell through their country representatives.
This means, being in France, I have to address the french rep., who incidentally, only sells in minimum quantities of 500.

only solution is a group buy. but I don't have enough time to organize such a thing.
johnchantler
my current jonesing is for the round buchla-style knobs that are also on the zero oscillator - wee rogan ones. can't decide between them and the old 200 style davies...
amnesia
I would love to see a complete euro modular with all the Livewire knobs :-)

I love Rogan Josh!
Qmod
coomby - really excellent research - did you get as far as part numbers or product codes?

did the French rep indicate unit price based on 500pcs?

Let me have a crack at it because I believe the Aussie Sifam rep in Melbourne may be a little less restricted with minimum quantities (smaller market - tyranny of distance - convicts etc etc.) Although Sifam is a UK operation, I heard a lot of the production is now done off-shore and lead times of 8 weeks is nominal.

I might say an accessable repository of this kind could be big fun for fellow wigglers, particularly euro-rackers who would like a splash of colour in their lives (like me). Why should the banana benders have all the fun?

gk

p.s. sorry about the misguided invitation to start cutting... (aarrghhhhhh)

p.s.s. Amnesia - I love the Livewire knobs too - very Doctor Who!!! (+ was that lamb or beef?)

amnesia
you can get the 200e knobs in white tops locally at Jaycar ( Australia)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3