MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

error!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author error!!
haricots
Well, I farked up a bit. I bought a MFOS VCO kit from Bridechamber and for some reason I just assumed that the format was Frac. Well, I received it today and it's a MOTM format module. I haven't heard back from Scott yet but I was wondering if they do indeed offer their kits in the Blacet/Frac format?

Also, what is involved in incorporating a MOTM module with Frac? If I simply had a new faceplate made and used 1/8 jacks instead of 1/4, would it work?
Muff Wiggler
ouch! sorry about your error. could have been worse though....

haricots wrote:
If I simply had a new faceplate made and used 1/8 jacks instead of 1/4, would it work?

for sure, they use the same power and power connector.
Kwote
bridechamber does motm format only.

as long as the module runs on +/-15v and you can fit it behind a frac sized faceplate there's really no reason you you can't do it.

if you have a drill you could get some blank panels from paia.com and if not you can design and order your panel through frontpanelexpress.com using their design software.

i'm about to shoot off a couple panel orders myself.
haricots
awesome! all is not lost then.

Does Blacet sell blank panels? Do the Paia panels match the Blacet pretty nicely>?
Muff Wiggler
Blacet sells blanks that are predrilled with small pilot holes, six down one side of the module, six down the other (nothing in the middle)

the PAiA blanks are not drilled with pilot holes at all - they are also a bit more than twice as thick as the Blacet panels - they fit just fine and do not look bad alongside Blacet modules.
pristak
Maybe just buy some MOTM rails and use the Blacet supply to power it for now and you have your entry into MOTM format.

We all need more blank space to fill...
consumed
pristak wrote:
Maybe just buy some MOTM rails and use the Blacet supply to power it for now and you have your entry into MOTM format.

We all need more blank space to fill...

this is probably your easiest approach, short of selling the kit to somebody.
im actually using a blacet power supply to power about 12u of motm modules right now.
futuresoundsystems
I could well be interested in buying that panel off you. wink
Cybananna
FYI, if the PCB is too big and doesn't want to fit well with the frac faceplate, just leave the PCB detached with a bundle of wires up to the faceplate. You'll have to protect it with something and leave it in the bottom of your rack. Not elegant, but works fine. I have a MOTM dual sawtooth animator modified to Euro in this way. No problems at all!
Kwote
also what may not fit in height can fit in width. you'll just need to widen your panel design. but it seems most pcb's will be fine. in fact i've found Blacet's PCB's to be pretty big in comparison to CGS stuff. dunno about MFOS but still i think that says something.
haricots
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Am I correct in thinking the MOTM format has a CV range of 0-5V and Blacet has 0-10V?
Cybananna
i'm not the pro, but as i understand it, Blacet VCAs need 10V to fully open. MOTM (and others) envelopes output 5V (8V for some?) which will not fully open the VCA. Most other VCAs open fully at 5V. So you would need to attenuate a Blacet envelope for use with others and boost a MOTM envelope to open the Blacet VCA.

I think all the other voltages are similar between the two systems.

I use a mixed system where I have doepfer envelopes and a few Blacet VCAs. I am able to make them play nicely when I need to so it's not a big problem, just one you need to plan for. w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1