MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dangers of outputs to outputs on BEMI stuff?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Dangers of outputs to outputs on BEMI stuff?
Ok, relatively nooby question.

I've always had in the back of my head that two outputs on a banana chain is a bad idea, except for some things like the TKB's pulse train, and wiard's gate outs.

how is it on BEMI stuff? particuarly the Easel? Can it be damaging?

I always tried to avoid these things, but I made a few accidental combinations, and am rather loving what came out with things interacting, and would like to more!
Kent
Pulses are fine. Combine them with bananas.

Nothing else should be combined without a mixer.
Umcorps
This is bothering me somewhat.

In the official screenshot of the Easel remote control iOS app, it shows 2 outputs connected to 1 input.

The sequencer and envelope are both connected to the mod oscillator pitch input, so connecting both the sequencer and envelope outputs to each other.

I'm assuming that, as this is an official shot, both of those inputs have diode protection? What I don't know is if all the other inputs have similar protection.

Up to now I've deliberately avoided this kind of patching for all the usual concerns about connecting directly outputs to each other. This screen shot has made me wonder if its OK after all.

Enquiring minds want to know.... Dead Banana

edit - just noticed the seq out and pulser out are also connected via the inverter input.
asked someone who works at BEMI this...apparently output to output is OK! just will be minor disturbances.

what will short out the easel is plugging into the card jack! do not do this1!:>
vgermuse
It is my understanding that this patch is more aesthetic and functional.

Umcorps wrote:
This is bothering me somewhat.

In the official screenshot of the Easel remote control iOS app, it shows 2 outputs connected to 1 input.

The sequencer and envelope are both connected to the mod oscillator pitch input, so connecting both the sequencer and envelope outputs to each other.

I'm assuming that, as this is an official shot, both of those inputs have diode protection? What I don't know is if all the other inputs have similar protection.

Up to now I've deliberately avoided this kind of patching for all the usual concerns about connecting directly outputs to each other. This screen shot has made me wonder if its OK after all.

Enquiring minds want to know.... Dead Banana

edit - just noticed the seq out and pulser out are also connected via the inverter input.
Umcorps

lol
Edenmononym
CV mixing and offset can be approached with the program card.

The program card does not have supplied voltage, but can be done by routing a 218 preset voltage into the envelope follower 'to card' section of the easel, this will route that voltage to the env detector on the program card.

Plugging in a CV output into the 'to card' on the inverter makes that CV available from the 'INV OUT' on the program card as well.

Making use of the above methods and the offset section of the program card will allow you to do a lot of interesting things, such as triggering the random voltage with the modulation oscillator etc... and even some attenuation.

This will allow you to adjust CVs and route multiple CVs to one destination, using resistors and the preset voltage to the card as if the card is another sort of patch bay. It's peanut butter jelly time!
awesome, thanks for the info!

I think it's really great that BEMI employees been around the forums and posting! definitely a good idea, I think it really promotes the positive aspects that a boutique company can offer that a larger one cannot.
milkyjoe
So is output to output ok on 200e ??
darrenji
milkyjoe wrote:
So is output to output ok on 200e ??

CVs are *designed* to be passively mixable (by stacking bananas).
Edenmononym
Thanks Darren. Yeah, this is where the Easel and 200e operate a little different.

Quote:

I forgot to address the original question Dead Banana

With the iProgram card, multi-input patching is immediately accessible. You can just patch away without any worries, or cables.
Kent wrote:

Pertaining to the 208. Are pressure/random/EG/SVS output considered pulses? If not, what is the difference?
tarandfeathers
01235813 wrote:
Kent wrote:

Pertaining to the 208. Are pressure/random/EG/SVS output considered pulses? If not, what is the difference?

No, pulses are essentially on/off signals. In reality in Buchla world some pulses are more complex than that but fundamentally you can think of them as binary signals that are either low or high. If the pulse output is coupled through a diode then it can be stacked with other diode coupled outputs to create an or function (all outputs are combined).

The outputs you have listed are all varying control voltage outputs. If you stack these together they will not sum or combine in a predictable way and depending on the specific design of the output stage, it may be possible to cause damage. To combine these outputs reliably an active mixer is required. The easel doesn't include any active mixing but crude passive mixing can be achieved with the program cards.

Edit: Worth noting also that, confusingly, the output from the 208 Pulser is a CV, not a pulse output.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1