Dangers of outputs to outputs on BEMI stuff?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Dangers of outputs to outputs on BEMI stuff?

Post by 3001 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am

Ok, relatively nooby question.

I've always had in the back of my head that two outputs on a banana chain is a bad idea, except for some things like the TKB's pulse train, and wiard's gate outs.

how is it on BEMI stuff? particuarly the Easel? Can it be damaging?

I always tried to avoid these things, but I made a few accidental combinations, and am rather loving what came out with things interacting, and would like to more!
http://www.soundcloud.com/hal3001
-
Otter Space is Inner Space

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Pulses are fine. Combine them with bananas.

Nothing else should be combined without a mixer.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:13 am

This is bothering me somewhat.

In the official screenshot of the Easel remote control iOS app, it shows 2 outputs connected to 1 input.

The sequencer and envelope are both connected to the mod oscillator pitch input, so connecting both the sequencer and envelope outputs to each other.

I'm assuming that, as this is an official shot, both of those inputs have diode protection? What I don't know is if all the other inputs have similar protection.

Up to now I've deliberately avoided this kind of patching for all the usual concerns about connecting directly outputs to each other. This screen shot has made me wonder if its OK after all.

Enquiring minds want to know.... :deadbanana:

edit - just noticed the seq out and pulser out are also connected via the inverter input.

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3001 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:43 am

asked someone who works at BEMI this...apparently output to output is OK! just will be minor disturbances.

what will short out the easel is plugging into the card jack! do not do this1!:>
-

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 am

It is my understanding that this patch is more aesthetic and functional.
Umcorps wrote:This is bothering me somewhat.

In the official screenshot of the Easel remote control iOS app, it shows 2 outputs connected to 1 input.

The sequencer and envelope are both connected to the mod oscillator pitch input, so connecting both the sequencer and envelope outputs to each other.

I'm assuming that, as this is an official shot, both of those inputs have diode protection? What I don't know is if all the other inputs have similar protection.

Up to now I've deliberately avoided this kind of patching for all the usual concerns about connecting directly outputs to each other. This screen shot has made me wonder if its OK after all.

Enquiring minds want to know.... :deadbanana:

edit - just noticed the seq out and pulser out are also connected via the inverter input.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am

:lol:

Edenmononym
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Edenmononym » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

CV mixing and offset can be approached with the program card.

The program card does not have supplied voltage, but can be done by routing a 218 preset voltage into the envelope follower 'to card' section of the easel, this will route that voltage to the env detector on the program card.

Plugging in a CV output into the 'to card' on the inverter makes that CV available from the 'INV OUT' on the program card as well.

Making use of the above methods and the offset section of the program card will allow you to do a lot of interesting things, such as triggering the random voltage with the modulation oscillator etc... and even some attenuation.

This will allow you to adjust CVs and route multiple CVs to one destination, using resistors and the preset voltage to the card as if the card is another sort of patch bay. :banana:
qstate : "The Aleph is an investment in learning, programming, and money. If you want instant gratification for $1400, a dedicated 11" macbook air and expert sleepers might be a better choice. "

I am having fun and learning :)

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3001 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:46 pm

awesome, thanks for the info!

I think it's really great that BEMI employees been around the forums and posting! definitely a good idea, I think it really promotes the positive aspects that a boutique company can offer that a larger one cannot.
-

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 pm

So is output to output ok on 200e ??

darrenji
Common Wiggler

Post by darrenji » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:34 pm

milkyjoe wrote:So is output to output ok on 200e ??
CVs are *designed* to be passively mixable (by stacking bananas).

Edenmononym
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Edenmononym » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks Darren. Yeah, this is where the Easel and 200e operate a little different.

I forgot to address the original question :deadbanana:

With the iProgram card, multi-input patching is immediately accessible. You can just patch away without any worries, or cables.
qstate : "The Aleph is an investment in learning, programming, and money. If you want instant gratification for $1400, a dedicated 11" macbook air and expert sleepers might be a better choice. "

I am having fun and learning :)

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 am

Kent wrote:Pulses are fine. Combine them with bananas.

Pertaining to the 208. Are pressure/random/EG/SVS output considered pulses? If not, what is the difference?

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tarandfeathers » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 am

01235813 wrote:
Kent wrote:Pulses are fine. Combine them with bananas.

Pertaining to the 208. Are pressure/random/EG/SVS output considered pulses? If not, what is the difference?
No, pulses are essentially on/off signals. In reality in Buchla world some pulses are more complex than that but fundamentally you can think of them as binary signals that are either low or high. If the pulse output is coupled through a diode then it can be stacked with other diode coupled outputs to create an or function (all outputs are combined).

The outputs you have listed are all varying control voltage outputs. If you stack these together they will not sum or combine in a predictable way and depending on the specific design of the output stage, it may be possible to cause damage. To combine these outputs reliably an active mixer is required. The easel doesn't include any active mixing but crude passive mixing can be achieved with the program cards.

Edit: Worth noting also that, confusingly, the output from the 208 Pulser is a CV, not a pulse output.
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla format accoutrements available

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”