MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Omni filter suggested patches?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Omni filter suggested patches?

Hi, so I am curious on the omni filter. I have one of these in my system and i've heard great things. I'm kind of not hearing it though, perhaps I'm not patching it right? I read in the manual about notch mode, when i switch the switch, i really can't tell the difference... I also note the various phase outputs is that to put in a quad vca and modulate the level?

What would be some good patch ideas to really utilize this module?

drumsofd00m

3001 wrote:
Hi, so I am curious on the omni filter. I have one of these in my system and i've heard great things. I'm kind of not hearing it though, perhaps I'm not patching it right? I read in the manual about notch mode, when i switch the switch, i really can't tell the difference... I also note the various phase outputs is that to put in a quad vca and modulate the level?

What would be some good patch ideas to really utilize this module?

It won't scream at you or screech or squeal like the Borg II and Boogie, and it doesn't have the liquid/ smooth shine of the Borg I. It does sound a bit dry. I love it (resp. my old "The Filter" revision) for its versatility. If the 24dB/o output row doesn't sound right in a given patch, try the 12dB/o output. Try adding in the original signal to somewhat lessen the effect of the filtering or thicken up the sound. FM it - most filters don't have linear FM inputs and this one sounds _sweet_. Find the sweet spot where the Q produces a shimmer (nothing "dry" anymore then). Use it as a sine VCO with incredible waveform purity. Finally, the phaser mode - I think this ("AP"/ allpass) is what is meant with "notches", wherever you read that - is incredibly thick and beautiful.

If you still don't warm to it, sell it to me! :)

Also consider that modulations are what brings sounds alive. The sheer number of inputs are an advantage in terms of expression.

How about trading it vs. my 1200 stash? Plenty of grittier, warmer filtering to try out in there.

I'm getting the same thing as the shark is: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83533&sid=351e0b3b22 5a06182b567c7ad6511946

drumsofd00m

3001 wrote:
I'm getting the same thing as the shark is: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83533&sid=351e0b3b22 5a06182b567c7ad6511946

You won't get a notch filter from flipping the Add switch in bandpass mode, just like you won't get a hipass or lopass filter from flipping it in lopass or hipass mode, respectively. But you will get a "phaser" from flipping it in allpass mode. Adjust Q for amount of "foaminess" (no Q = hardly any effect). Then flip the polarity switch to taste.

All allpass filter creates several notches in the spectrum, but it's different from a notch filter. I don't know how to explain it technically.

Edit: ok, I just tried it out once more. Despite what the website says I'll stick to what I wrote based on my ears only. Chamomileshark's hint about the BP/ HP mix sweep spot is a nice one tho. Sounds similar to AP mode but at a higher spectrum. And in my filter, contary to his, it's audible at the 12dB output too.

rico loverde

i almost always used it in All Pass mode. Loved the phaser esque sounds out of it.

slow_riot

Drumsofdoom has it correct. "add" only does something in AP mode.

I think the linearising diodes on the LM13700s are left disconnected, meaning the module will add subtle sinusoidal colouration... put 2 Classic VCO pulses in and something special happens.

The mode morphing is totally unique to the module, most other filters do this with VCAs mixing between whereas the Omni actually morphs directly within the filter core itself.

It's worth spending time with it.

slow_riot

the extra inverted output is for pseudo stereo (i.e. +ve on one channel and -ve on other).

chamomileshark

hi just to prevent confusion in my original post I was talking about the Polarity switch - not Add.

I found the Omni took me longer to get the hang of than the other Wiard filters that are immediately comprehensible. I found it squawks alot easier than the others.

I can't recall all the uses but I tend to use the sequantizer to dial mode or resonance. Also of course the various permutations of All Pass.

I think Gary Chang's standard set up was to use the Boogie / Borg as filters and Omni AP as the final stage.

drumsofd00m

It's also a 24dB/o highpass, which is rare, and I like the self-oscillation waveforms a lot - from pure sine to unique, raw stuff, depending on mode.

Should also be mentioned that there are differences between the Rev A "The Filter", the early "Omni" and later (I think post-2002) Omnis. It has to do with Q compensation and maybe more - I don't know how many versions exactly there were. I know two of them and have to say that the Rev A sounds a little more raw and lively but is also a bit harder to control, so it's a draw between them and I wouldn't like to see "which Rev is better" discussions - just something to know because there seems no documentation around anymore that even mentions "The Filter".

By squawk, do you mean noisy oscillations, the suddenness of the oscillation's onset, or something else?

slow_riot

One other tip... Woggle stepped to Mode

chamomileshark

sudden onset and it then is really loud.

It was one of the last two made.

drumsofd00m

chamomileshark wrote:
sudden onset and it then is really loud.

It was one of the last two made.

Ok, this is the same with all models as far as I know. Personally I don't mind because there's still a wide palette from bone dry to shimmering resonance, but I can see how it's weird at first. Like in the NoiseRing, the pot travel range is not optimized from a user's perspective.

Anyone interested in the sound of the Omni/ The Filter should listen to Mr Olivier Gerber's aka Smoo's "Traffic in my soul" album from around 2002. IIRC it was completely made with six or eight 300 modules, down to the drum sounds. (Multitracked of course)

BTW @shark I got you about the polarity switch, but for it to have the intended effect, activating the Add switch also is required most of the time, right?

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try the 2 classic vcos into it once i get to the post office and pick up my classic vco and 311 controller! =)

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1