MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BugBrand as my first modular system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author BugBrand as my first modular system
Art
Hi all,

Just want to introduce myself to the Bug family and ask all of you a few questions. I catched the bug from hearing one of the BoardWeevil samples and ordered one as soon as the next batch was available. The little thing is so amazing in what it can do. Next thing I know, I just received the SV Filter and Dual VCA (banana version) – my first two modules ever hyper

I work with software and have little experience with hardware. So please bear with my basic question.

- Case: Love to get Tom's frame. But while I wait, I live in Thailand and may be able to get a good carpenter to build one within a reasonable price. Will wood rails work? is there a problem with wood case/rails in term of grounding?

- PSU: The BugBrand's is placed outside the case and connect to the case with just one cable. I like that and I can keep the case small. (But when will it be available? Please, Tom.) Is this possible with the Blacet PSU?

For certain, more of "what is this for" types of questions for you once I have the PSU, a few more basic modules and start patching. I plan to build my system (very) slowly, hopefully learning basic concepts bit by bit, but already I feel addicted just looking at the two modules unconnected ....
panda30y
Hi Art,

Welcome and let me try to answer these questions to the best of my abilities and someone chime in if I'm wrong.

Case:
Wooden rails will be fine, and many people still use wooden rails. Most of the electronics will be grounded w/ the power supply.

PSU:
The blacet power supply is external as well. It might not look as nice, but if you can build your own or possibly ask Blacet to, you can obtain a longer power cord and then buy some power distribution boards. Blacet sells some distribution boards that will require a 4 wire cable that terminates with a 4 pin and a 6 pin MTA .156 rectangular connectors to run from the psu (4 pin) to the distro (6 pin), but the rest of the distribution board will be 4 pin terminals. CGS also sells the distribution boards as MOTM distribution boards kits, which you can use, and the extra 2 pins are only used to distribute +5V, and don't need to be used at all. In fact you can just use 4 pin terminals when building it. There are other boards available for power distribution but I can't recal them right now.

I hope this helps! SlayerBadger!
Art
Thanks for the info! At first I thought Blacet PSU is to be mounted inside only. I'll email them for the details then. Thanks again. Rockin' Banana!
BugBrand
Hi Art - sorry to be slow to get back on this!

Yeah, Panda speaks truth --
i) no, no need for grounding via the panels. Wood could certainly work and I'm sure there's some info around in the DIY forum and over at electro-music.com - I DIYed my first 'portable' cases and used some right-anlge metal (available from hardware stores) as the mounting rails. For longevity the metal may be better for the mounting rails.

ii) I'd certainly recommend the Blacet PSU - very good quality from everything I've heard, well priced, available! No problem to hook things up - we can chat about this by email and I may well be able to sort some bits out for you. But, I may also be able to sort you out with a Bug one -- not much difference between the two really, except that the Blacet ones are always available easily!

Cheers for now,
Tom
DGTom
Welcome!! More Banana Fraccers applause

+1 for aluminium rails; super cheap & durable.

fwiw I used a Blacet PS500 as an external supply for awhile, just hooked a .156 connector to a panel mount 4 Pin XLR connector, popped the little plastic thingy out of the side hole of the PS500 & mounted the XLR in the hole - fits OK, the hole is a little 'too round'

Not as sexy as Toms supplies, but, does the trick grin
DGTom
d'oh!
Art
Thanks Tom! I forgot that I may have to rearrange modules once I have more(!!!) Show how much I know about modular... So metal rails are certainly more suitable. I'll check electronic-music.com forum for grounding info too.

Thanks to DGTom as well! So that's how you do it with the Blacet PSU! With Panda's and your info, I begin to understand now. Good to know there're solutions.

I still have time, though, while waiting for Syn1/2. If I had the PSU now, the wait for VCO would be much more unbearable! In the meantime, I'll continue pestering Tom for the Bug PSU (and maybe a case) until he has to give in grin
BananaPlug
> So that's how you do it with the Blacet PSU!

If you want to use the same kind of power connector that's on the BugBrand supply (Modcan uses these too by the way) these are the parts:

In-Line Female,3 Pin - Philmore # T607C
Male Chassis Socket,3 Pin - Philmore # P605C (mounts in a 5/8" hole)

I found them, after quite a bit of looking around, at Minute-Man.
panda30y
BananaPlug wrote:
> So that's how you do it with the Blacet PSU!

If you want to use the same kind of power connector that's on the BugBrand supply (Modcan uses these too by the way) these are the parts:

In-Line Female,3 Pin - Philmore # T607C
Male Chassis Socket,3 Pin - Philmore # P605C (mounts in a 5/8" hole)

I found them, after quite a bit of looking around, at Minute-Man.

Oh wow! Thanks for finding those! I was looking for this for some time! And another domestic retailer to boot!
BugBrand
I've always used Futurlec:
http://futurlec.com/XLR-MIC.shtml
Art
Thank you BananaPlug! How did you find this stuff? Also thanks again Tom for revealing your supplier lol

While I'm still hoping for Tom's PSU and case, let me try to wrap my head around this. !!Warning!! totally newbie speaking. Don't worry, I won't make any connection until I'm sure I really understand it !!End warning!!

In order to use the Blacet PSU, connecting to the case with just one (durable) cable, I should:

- Connect a module to Blacet PSCONN2 connector board, using the MTA100 - MTA156 cable.
- Connect the 6-pin connector on the PSCONN2 to the 3 pin chassis mount male XLR connector. Question: My understanding is that the three used pins are for +15V / -15V / Ground. Two of the unused pins are for +5V. What is the other unused pin for, the 2nd ground?
- Use a female XLR cable to connect the cas to the PS505. I have to mount the male XLR connector in the black circular hole on the PSU.
- Connect the PSU male XLR connector to the 4-pin connector of the PSU. Question: again the three used pins are for +15V / -15V / Ground. The unused one is for 2nd ground?

Does this make sense?
BananaPlug
Quote:
Thank you BananaPlug! How did you find this stuff?

I searched for them with Google.

Go to http://blacet.com/misc.html (this is probably where you found the Blacet power suppply). It tells you "does not include +5V" so don't worry about 5V. The same page shows how the pins on the MTA156 connectors and the PSCONN2 are wired. For the sake of wiring this up, the terms COM, 0V, Ground are all talking about the same thing.

People do it but I think it's a bad idea to use 3 pin XLRs for power. Doing so makes it possible to do some real damage to sensitive audio equipment. Other options are the "Philmore" connectors or 4 pin XLRs.

The easiest thing to do is make a single cable with identical MTA156 connectors on each end. Use 4 wires and hook them up so that they are in the same order on both ends. Be careful you don't have them flipped around. Plug one end into any of the 4pin connectors on the PSCONN2, plug the other end into one of the connectors inside the supply. The MTA156 will fit through the hole on the supply. Blacet's Super Power Supply Cable Kit will provide you with the connectors and wire.
Art
I see! Thanks for the detailed description, BananaPlug thumbs up
moog55
BugBrand wrote:
I've always used Futurlec:
http://futurlec.com/XLR-MIC.shtml

:old thread bump alert:

i need to make a few power connector cables. the case that i got from themanthatwasused uses custom power connector cables which is fine, but every tech in town is quoting me 2-4 weeks turnaround to rewire the AC mains on the power supply.

the backup plan until i can get my power supply rewired is either:

1) make a power connector cable myself to use with a psu2 power supply i got from radams over the weekend so i could power my single frame until my other case/power supply gets rewired. if i decide to make my own cables, are these still the preferred connectors, tom? if so, i'll order a few.

2) rewire my power supply myself instead of waiting 2-4 weeks. i'm a pretty capable DIY'er, but admittedly power supplies are not my strength. that said, if someone could provide step-by-step instructions on how to rewire/rejumper from 230v/50Hz to 120v/60Hz, i'm sure i could do it in 15 minutes. i can't find any documentation online though.

3) buy a step-down transformer. this is the least practical solution. it doesn't solve the fundamental problem of getting my power supply rewired. plus, i can't seem to locate one to buy locally so i'd have to order it. in that case, i'd probably opt to just order the connectors and build my own cables and send in the other power supply.

33 bug modules and i can't eek out a single sound yet. cry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1