MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone DIY'd a sampler/looper before?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Anyone DIY'd a sampler/looper before?
Roycie Roller
Hey everyone,
has anyone DIY'd a looper/sampler module before?
It seems there's a range of IC's that could be used- the ID2560/1416 and DAC0800 for example. Today i found the latter one stray in a bin in my local electronics store (with datasheet) smile
I also lashed out on a couple of 555 timers & a breadboarding kit as well. I've read that you can hook up ram & logic chips (for clock). Add a circular buffer to create a delay & trigger it to sample. Don't know really how that translates as a schematic, but...
I also found a couple of old answering machines at the rubbish dump that i'll rip the guts out of & see what IC's are in there.
Has anyone worked on those IC's before, and if so, what were your findings?
wetterberg
Have worked with that stuff when I was a circuitbender in a previous life.
A lot of them have the downside that you can't record and play back simultaneously, which you'd need for fun looping, but if it's an exposed IC then chances are you can do weird stuff to the address buffers, much like the malgorithm and such.
Kent
How does this one strike your fancy?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_detail s&product_id=87&category_id=19&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuema rt&Itemid=45
BugBrand
I keep on meaning to get back to the ISD chips - I did quite a lot of experimenting with the 1416 ones a few years back, though always had some niggling problems...

There's still a chunk of info on my site here:
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/pages/electronics.htm
(near the bottom) - this design also had lofi randomisation.

One difficulty was getting a decent VC external clock - it needs to be high speed around 1Mhz. Looking back now I'd recommend a CD4046 most likely.

The output of the chip also caused problems - big clicks when beginning and ending playback.. Something else to iron out sometime.

The resulting sounds of the chip were good fun! The chips are quite clunky, but ripe for f'k'ery.
Luka
i have a kit from our local electronics store, it was the first thing i built.
im not sure if it works in real time. i think i stripped it of parts when i was deep into circuit bending.

ill pull it out and try find the schems.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1