MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer Micromix MX400
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Behringer Micromix MX400
Flohr
Does anybody have experience with using a micromix on modular level signals? Audio and cv? I'm just starting out in Eurorack and don't have a large case so I'm trying to maximize the amount of stuff I can do outside of the box. I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro as my main mixer, so the point of the behringer would be to try to take some individual outs from oscillators and mix them before they hit their destination. I know I could buy a mix module, but I'm just wondering what the advantage to a mixer module is to something like the micromix. Also I could get three for
Flohr
Well for anyone who may be considering a Micromix I can attest that it works fine with modular level signals. I fed it the individual outs from STO and then sent the output into Ripples and it sounded great. Also used the bp out from Ripples and used the Micromix to feed it back in. Also worked well to attenuate the STO before sending it into my Microbrute. Starts to clip after 12 o'clock but overall when kept in the lower range it seemed relatively transparent and low noise. And dirt cheap. Also fits in the palm of your hand.
seychmar
That sounds good. Cheap and effective. Have you tried mixing control voltages?
Flohr
Control Voltage not so much. I assume it's not DC coupled. Still, for audio it's a nice, dirt cheap solution that doesn't waste hp. Which, when you've only got a minicase like myself is a premium.
Paranormal Patroler
Also cool for expanding a console without enough channels. What I'm really curious about is if it could possibly act as a Multiplier instead of a Mixer, by plugging stuff in reverse. If that's the case then I'd buy two because my console only has one Send output!
Flohr
Just tested it, does not work as a mult. Dead Banana
IR
It's powered, isn't it? Makes sense it wouldn't work.

DOD made a passive one.
Paranormal Patroler
IR wrote:
It's powered, isn't it? Makes sense it wouldn't work.

DOD made a passive one.

You reckon that would do it?

Thanks Flohr for testing. Saved me a lot of trouble! thumbs up
Flohr
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=141978&gclid=CJ H-jKKj4cACFcZQ7AodUFQAWw&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Looks like this would work. Maybe I'll get one of these as well.
ETP
always had problems with behringer. hum noise.... save your money and buy a better. after one year the start hum, after 3 years they are not more useable.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm going for the DOD myself. Any idea of the specific size? I know it looks small but every inch counts hihi
IR
About the size of an MXR pedal, I have the AB box myself, which is in the same case.

One word of warning though: I use the AB box backwards, and some of the sound bleeds through, although it's not that bad and it could probably be fixed by cutting the ground which connects to the hot on the jack which is off. This may not apply to the mini mixer.

If you want a few mm smaller, there's also this Ross: Ross mini-mixer
tuj
try rolls passive mixer for quality. dod is ok too.
Paranormal Patroler
IR wrote:
About the size of an MXR pedal, I have the AB box myself, which is in the same case.

Would it be possible to measure it for me please? I know it's probably a hassle and I'm in no particular rash. I've been looking around trying to find specific case size to see if it fits my setup but I can't find something. I hate it when I can't find information like size, mA consumption, or polarity on the input for devices.

Quote:
One word of warning though: I use the AB box backwards, and some of the sound bleeds through, although it's not that bad and it could probably be fixed by cutting the ground which connects to the hot on the jack which is off. This may not apply to the mini mixer.

Do DOD advertise that the AB box can be used both ways? If that's the case then way, the mini mixer might have noise as well.

Quote:
If you want a few mm smaller, there's also this Ross: Ross mini-mixer

Is the Ross non-available? It looks like something I'd have to only find in the bay. Google search didn't come up with any current stock. Thanks for the info IR, you have been most helpful.
IR
Yes, they are both advertised as going both ways, you can check their website. Although I don't think you can compare:
1. The AB box is meant to to have 2 outputs, the mixer 4 inputs.
2. One uses pots, the other a switch. The AB box simply shorts the output not being used, which doesn't work properly if it's being used as an input.
3. The AB box doesn't have "noise", it simply bleeds the other signal through a bit if used backwards. And only if it's loud, I can't hear a clean guitar bleeding through, but if I add a distortion pedal on the "off" side I can hear it a bit if I'm playing clean on the "on" side.
4. What you want is a passive signal multiplier, so there isn't a second signal to bleed through. Although you might get some noise because it isn't buffered.

Still want me to measure it?
kragg
The DOD AB box indeed goes both ways.

The DOD AB box doesn't add noise (but in therory it can get some humming as it is not shielded, if it sits next to a "hum creator" device... Fortunately, it never happened with my setup.
Paranormal Patroler
IR wrote:
Still want me to measure it?

If it's not too much trouble for you, then yes please. Thank you very much. we're not worthy
IR
long side: 11.4 cm
width: 6.3 cm + the jacks, which can be 0.4 cm, and the jacks you plug into them which will be a couple cm
height: 3.4 cm + however tall those knobs are
Paranormal Patroler
IR wrote:
long side: 11.4 cm
width: 6.3 cm + the jacks, which can be 0.4 cm, and the jacks you plug into them which will be a couple cm
height: 3.4 cm + however tall those knobs are

eek! Barely fits!
Thank you sir, this was most kind of you. Really appreciated.
Paranormal Patroler
Hey guys, I need your help on this very same issue. Any idea if there's a mini console ,like the ones mentioned above, that does stereo out instead of mono?? I have found a way around the lack of Sends from my console (Xenyx 1202) but I need to Return everything in stereo, so having a small console added in the setup would be ideal.
kragg
Yes, Boss KM400, KM600 are compact and stereo (afair).
Maybe also the KM4 ?
Paranormal Patroler
Which one? 'cause the KM60 is kinda huge for the purpose. I'm talking Micromix MX400 size stuff.

So some options seem to be the Rolls MX42, or the DAP Audio (???) Stage Cube. Any suggestions??

-edit-

kragg
kragg wrote:
Boss KM400, KM600 are compact and stereo (afair).
Maybe also the KM4 ?

I had the KM600 for a while. It is big like a Blofeld, so bigger than the Micromix, but still not that big...

The smallest one would be this one, but it is very rare to find :
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/frontline/series1/minimixer

Maybe that ART has such a product, too ?
http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/mini_mixers/product/powermix_iii/
Paranormal Patroler
The ART looks like exactly the StageCube. Might be a good option, thanks!
stainers
Could someone please tell me what polarity the MX400 requires? Someone is selling one without a PSU
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2