See what you made me do...

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

Chrysothemis
Learning to Wiggle

See what you made me do...

Post by Chrysothemis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Long story short… I've been doing synth work for soundtracks in LA for more than a decade. It's all about speed and repeatability, so I never really considered modulars for practical use. Well, I got the IDOW hardcore edition, and this is what that nice open space over my keyboard looks like now...

It really makes a great case for why someone already versed in synthesis might want to make the leap. If you're counting converts, I'm one. You can hear this baby, including the prayer bowl, on Deliver Us From Evil, in theaters now. And many more soundtracks to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 am

Nice! Welcome to the Looney Bin!

:tu:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: See what you made me do...

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Chrysothemis wrote:Long story short… I've been doing synth work for soundtracks in LA for more than a decade. It's all about speed and repeatability, so I never really considered modulars for practical use. Well, I got the IDOW hardcore edition, and this is what that nice open space over my keyboard looks like now...

It really makes a great case for why someone already versed in synthesis might want to make the leap. If you're counting converts, I'm one. You can hear this baby, including the prayer bowl, on Deliver Us From Evil, in theaters now. And many more soundtracks to come.
Fantastic - this is so great to hear!

Would you be OK with me sharing this post via IDOW's Facebook page?

Cheers!

Jason

Chrysothemis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrysothemis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Of course Jason, use it anyway you want.

Let me know if you'd like a proper thought out blurb - it's not like I'm famous, but I did the synth work for Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider and Drag Me to Hell and some other things. I'd be happy to return the favor you've done to me.

/Max

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Welcome Max :party: and congrats on your success in the business! :tu: :yay:

Working on movie/TV soundtracks is something I've always wanted to do . . .but I guess I'm not dead quite yet so there is hope 8_)

Chrysothemis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrysothemis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Working on movie/TV soundtracks is something I've always wanted to do . . .but I guess I'm not dead quite yet so there is hope
Indeed there is! The bad news is that the field is flooded with kids who can fake it just well enough with Reason (nothing against Reason, it's awesome). The good news is that there is quite a sizable niche at the high end for people who can actually do it properly.

Sending out demos to composers who seem to be on your wavelength will probably get you way further than you think. And aim high - only the top guys can afford not to just fake the synth work themselves.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 pm

Chrysothemis wrote:
Working on movie/TV soundtracks is something I've always wanted to do . . .but I guess I'm not dead quite yet so there is hope
Indeed there is! The bad news is that the field is flooded with kids who can fake it just well enough with Reason (nothing against Reason, it's awesome). The good news is that there is quite a sizable niche at the high end for people who can actually do it properly.

Sending out demos to composers who seem to be on your wavelength will probably get you way further than you think. And aim high - only the top guys can afford not to just fake the synth work themselves.
Thanks for the encouragement and tips! :tu: :tu:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 am

Holy Metasonix, that things awesome. You're a regular Trent Reznor. Well done case as well. What brand is that cable holder? I think I need to bite the bullet and buy one instead of stuffing my cables in cardboard boxes.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:42 am

Nice gardening books :tu:

The Real MC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Real MC » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Sinamsis wrote:What brand is that cable holder?
Known as "cable rack" or "cable holder". Many companies make them.

sample query
I haz a wrench, to fix da synth.
http://www.analoguediehard.com/

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Is that a Beethoven bust? (I thought I recognized it by the sloppy cravat.)
this night wounds time,

IAMPelican
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IAMPelican » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:08 am

Nice!

Claudyknight
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Claudyknight » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 am

Haha! It only gets better from here I hear 8_)

Chrysothemis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrysothemis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:48 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Is that a Beethoven bust? (I thought I recognized it by the sloppy cravat.)
You're in the right ballpark - it's Wagner.

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”