MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roolz Gewei - here we go
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Roolz Gewei - here we go
mrbloor
NS4W
You built it yourself?

His PCBs are so nice!
mrbloor
No one of Peters, replacing some broken potentiometers. Now to start desoldering all those nodes waah

mrbloor
Well that wasn't too bad. Fortunately there is enough room to work without desoldering the 2 deerhorns and removing them.

wednesdayayay
I was actually wondering about this rollz unit the other day keep us updated these gutt pictures are great
mrbloor
1 down 11 more to go, new ones are Alps, old ones are crap. All tested working and although the new ones are a bit stand offie, they will fit once it's all put back.

mrbloor
Cheers Wednesday, it was just too sad to leave it as it was. I was considering Nana's but there ain't a lot of space
4 x 6 rollz
2x 5 rollz
2 x 4 rollz
2x 3 rollz
4x gong
4x av dog
4x ultrasound
2x deerhorn

The lesson is be careful, my plumbutter v1 has similar pots I'm sure. If it takes a knock the shafts just bust through.
mrbloor
Just a quick update, the pots on this ( and presumably plumbutter) are Alps. Regarding longevity they should be good. However the design of them makes them a bit vulnerable to any downward pressure.
Old on left, my replacements on right.

CJ Miller
Thanks for the sexy Roolz Gewei photos! I used Alps RK11 in my CQ (which I need to finish) and they seem quite solid.

I think I remember seeing this unit for sale a few times, and regretted that I lacked the funds to buy it.
mrbloor
I remember your CQ thread, it's a long job which I've been putting off. This has deffinately given me the courage to nana my CQ V1.
The good thing about these old CL pcb's is that the traces on them are so big & fat, when desoldering & reslodering there is little risk of damaging them. Wonder if the same can be said of the new 'flat pack' machines.
mrbloor
All pots replaced, now to test, clean out any traces of solder, re assemble just in time for a recording for the GOL made of wood2 compilation.

Looking forward to this cos the Roolz has 7 outputs for audio, that's gonna be some pedal chain thumbs up

mrbloor
All back together and working as it should, just tested off a 9v battery into a guitar amp, bloody hell don't remember it ever sounding this good.
Gonna just add a ground nana.
ClausF
great! Congrats!
mrbloor
straight recording

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/162537351" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
mrbloor
Hi, recorded a piece for GOL thumbs up

Really great instrument, totally please I could rescue this, having 7 available outputs is great for live recording.

Really want to know more about the Roolz Gewei, how many are still out there?
bartlebooth
i agree with you, the roolz is a really fun instrument. i find that the odd rollz and (thus ultrasound outputs) are much more chaotic than the ones on plumbutter, which i really enjoy.

peter made 6 roolz-gewei's, they went to:
- kristen (norway)
- me (us)
- rich morgan (uk)
- klaus (austria)
- rastko (parts unknown)
- n. baboon (now yours)

while making gene's peter fianlly had enough of inhaling solder fumes and decided to redesign it as a laboratory roolz which ultimatey became plumbutter
Ginko
I have built a Meng Qi Rollz 5 and the Ultrasounds are my favourite part by far. They just get better and better the more complicated you make the patch. I had no idea there were so few Roolz Gewei, was there ever a DIY version there?
sungja
Still got the Roolz-gewei here and I find it to have much more personality than the Plumbutter but the PB can do more varied stuff. I agree with all things said about the ultrasounds, and Deerhorns are also more raw and unpredictable.

The DIY version is the one Meng Qi is offering and offcourse the Rolls-5 papercircuits. If you can put together 2 Deerhorns paper circuits than you`ll have the gewei. They are seperate circuits and just share power on the Roolz-gewei.
mrbloor
Wow, many thanks Bartlebooth, didn't realise they were so rare. It is a really great machine although I feel dirty knowing it was once Nelson Baboons hihi

I need to patch more between plumbutter thumbs up
kozepz
thumbs up
Great care!

Never noticed it before, but the nodes are not random placed its actually the rollz d'oh!

What are the other nodes and control knobs?

Lovely piece of gear with character!
mrbloor
yes Kozepz

from top left
6rollz,5rollz,4rollz,3rollz,6rollz. Same as the bottom nodes but seem to be at a slower rate.

top row of 4 av dogs with input node at top and output at bottom and rate knob, there are 4 tuning knobs on front.

middle 4 ultrasounds input & output nodes & tuning knobs

bottom 4 gongs with input & output rate knob and 4 tuning knobs on front

the deerhorns have switches on front like plumbutter, input & output nodes and dual tuning knobs (big ones).

I think thats it thumbs up
kozepz
mrbloor wrote:
yes Kozepz

from top left
6rollz,5rollz,4rollz,3rollz,6rollz. Same as the bottom nodes but seem to be at a slower rate.

top row of 4 av dogs with input node at top and output at bottom and rate knob, there are 4 tuning knobs on front.

middle 4 ultrasounds input & output nodes & tuning knobs

bottom 4 gongs with input & output rate knob and 4 tuning knobs on front

the deerhorns have switches on front like plumbutter, input & output nodes and dual tuning knobs (big ones).

I think thats it thumbs up

Thats awesome Mr!
So many rollz is really interesting. Division wise it would make fantastic drum pulses.
Does an uneven 5 roll sound different than a 3 roll when fed into ultrasound?
mrbloor
It all sounds like stars and planets colliding hihi

thats not what you wanted to hear, I will quickly go home as the wife and kids are out till later thumbs up

report back in 1 Hour
rastko
bartlebooth wrote:

- rastko (parts unknown)

Greetings from Yangon !

You really now how to get me out of the unknown part's :-)

I (and the Roolz Gewei) are in Yangon, Myanmar/Burma.

Here are some pictures of mine.

Ginko
Luvly jubly
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2