MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

best eurorack distortion modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author best eurorack distortion modules?
Travis Morgan
thinking of expanding my rack to include some more fx type units
so i can elimnate having to bring additional pedals for live situations
anyone have any comments on some of the distortion modules that are floating around currently
thrasumachos
right now I'm using the RYO optodist, and I absolutely love it. Crazy distortion in 6hp. I also hear people use the A-119 for distortion, but I haven't spent enough time with mine yet to vouch for it.
mhtones
Plague bearer.
djpasica
Strakal Brulu is crazy hyper
EarlJemmings
Optodist, Plague Bearer v3, Noise Swash, Alex & June, and Malgorithm v1 in my 9u. Also had the Assmaster, but parted with it.

Optodist is very nice sounding, not brutal, but unique and always adds goodness. Also fun for a different flavour of plucked lpg style stuff.

Plague Bearer is always handy, bubbly, screamy, growly, and handy as an amp (at least in v3). Great in a feedback path, also commonly use it to get drums into my system for mangling. My first filter, and I don't really regret that much MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Noise Swash got me started in Euro really. I saw that and the Malgorithm and I was sold. Didn't get it until a few months ago, but it's great. As a sound generator, it's great to get it in a sweet spot and let it go in the background, and running anything through it is amazing. Leave it some room to breathe, and it will deliver. I believe the Mood cv out is chaos based, or at leased close to it. Great stuff. Put that into a quantizer or s/h for melodic fun. I'm getting a live set figured out based around running drums into it, loving the sound.

Alex & June is a wierd one, a filter done pretty much as simply as possible. When you get it (diy project) it comes with silicon diodes, and yellow leds. The diodes make it more like a regular filter, the leds more like an fsu module. Either way it'll turn whatever you put into it into a square wave. I've found it's not really all that versatile, I'll usually go to another distortion first. But it's cheap as chips.

Malgorithm was one of my first modules, got it with the Hertz Donut, and it is really much more than it seems on the surface. It adds some nice hardness to a sound even with the knobs open, but the bit depth and nyquist add a lot to a signal. Punch the rectify on for more brutal distortion, back off the input volume for a bit less scream. The volvulus modes are madness. Switch one adds a sort of pwm to your now square signal, switch two acts sort of like a filter, reminding me of the Bionic Lester, and switch 3 is just crazy. Add them together for maximum noise making. Next level is pluggin it into itself, and put a bit of cv into the bit depth knob (example of this from when I first got it here [soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/112352925" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /] Fell out of love with it for a bit, but spent some quality time with it and a scope, and I'm back.

Assmaster was nice, too subtle for my taste. Kicked teeth with drums though.

Oh, also use the comparator out of the maths. That's brutal.

And I guess I could put out the saturation on the mmvca, really good in some places. Some others it'll do basically nothing.

There are a ton of options in euro, and I'm so glad for it.
oscillateur
Yeah, you can get many different flavours of saturation/distortion from modules whose main function is not distortion.
craigie77
malekko vca all the way
IAMPelican
Good to know
chris_g
djpasica wrote:
Strakal Brulu is crazy hyper

Gonna second this one, fuzzy as all hell
ronaldroy
Having just got hold of a Malekko Megawave, I would have to throw that into the mix.
gooneybird
dwarthcraft devices... the great destroyer. pretty neat to use with drum machine and really beefs up everything you throw into it..little hard to control though.
knobbyfischer
Toppo Triple Wave Folder
aen
gooneybird wrote:
dwarthcraft devices... the great destroyer. pretty neat to use with drum machine and really beefs up everything you throw into it..little hard to control though.

Mwuhahahaha! Yeah, I think TGD is another thing altogether.
smcumber
I've discovered running anything into the Pittsburgh In/Out "In" channel with the high-gain setting cranked makes for crazy-awesome distortion. Responds great to dynamics, i.e. drum loops.
deleuzer
smcumber wrote:
I've discovered running anything into the Pittsburgh In/Out "In" channel with the high-gain setting cranked makes for crazy-awesome distortion. Responds great to dynamics, i.e. drum loops.

Thanks for this tip!
mrcharles
I'm for Dwarfcraft's Great Destroyer and the HAX ring mod...

Great stuff!
gonya
Really interested in Dwarfcraft- TGD for eurorack.. One of my favorite pedals ever... seriously insane!
MrNovember
While I haven't gotten the chance to try the eurorack version, the Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer is an amazing pedal. Plus Alessandro Cortini uses it in his set up so there's that
Noisefan
I recently picked up the Pittsburgh Collapse. Sounds like a bit crusher but more warmish analog. Nice mixed with original signal.
MrNovember
Noisefan wrote:
I recently picked up the Pittsburgh Collapse. Sounds like a bit crusher but more warmish analog. Nice mixed with original signal.

I just listened to all the demos on their website and that really does sound nice
I wish they weren't limited because I can't justify picking one up now
Barlov
Going to chime in with the other recommendations for The Great Destroyer. Pretty much had to get it after seeing Regis use it in his Boiler Room set up.
Solip7
I only have a Doepfer A-136, and although it's a decent FSU unit, I feel an oscilloscope would be more than useful to understand how the different parameters change the sound.

I sometimes use my Metal Zone pedal but I don't really like it with synths. I've ordered parts to build a Bazz Fuss standalone module, I hope it will turn good.
knobbyfischer
Barlov wrote:
Going to chime in with the other recommendations for The Great Destroyer. Pretty much had to get it after seeing Regis use it in his Boiler Room set up.

I recently picked one of these up and love it! I want to try out more from
Dwarfcraft. The prices are great - HAX is on my list.
fusionid
just ordered The Great Destroyer because of this thread Rockin' Banana!
Nevada
It's more of an overdrive effect, but Pitts VC Bend is pretty awesome in my book. It would probably be beneficial into a distortion.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2