what is your favorite amp?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by naturligfunktion » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 am

numan7 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:40 pm
hmm... (note to self:) need to take another look at those neo-supro amps (blues-king-12 in particular)...


cheers
I really like it, but take into account that it is basically my first guitar amp that I ever have owned :)

But it works really, really well. I like how sensitive it is. You can have it really close to break up, kick on a boost pedal and you're in blues territory. Then you kick on the overdrive and shit goes down :sb:

namon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:39 pm
Location: North bay

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by namon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Sadly stolen :(
Still scout out for it. Hah.

User avatar
fac
wig MUffler
Posts: 3573
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am
Location: Mexico

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by fac » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:18 am

I just ordered a Fender Blues Junior in Lacquered Tweed. My first tube amp.

User avatar
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:35 pm

About four months back I took delivery of a Boss Nextone Stage. For years I was a tube partisan, but I'm starting to swing over to the other side.

I confess the four models (6L6, 6V6, EL84 and EL34) sound close as makes no difference to identical to each other, and despite multiple efforts I haven't been able to get the amp to talk to my computer to change the under-the-hood parameters like compression settings or delay brightness, but with a basic setup this good I almost don't mind. I find I'm using it a lot more than my Marshall and Fender.

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13604
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by sduck » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Yes, those nextone amps look and sound like snake oil to me. I've listened to the demos - lots of them - and can't hear any significant difference between the tube types. It's still a nice sounding amp though. My mesa boogie is set up with el34's on the outside, and 6L6gc's on the inside, so you can sort of mix and match them, and there's a huge difference in the sounds. I think boss is trying to appeal to the amp snobs by using the term "tubes" enough times in the ad copy that people will overlook the complete lack of any actual tubes or tube amp sounds. I've got a katana 100 amp here, and it's a great sounding amp, much better sounding than most solid state amps, but it's still definitely solid state sounding.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4248
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am

I had a Bogner years ago that had two different sets of tubes that you could switch between, and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Of course, that might speak more to the quality of my ears than the amp haha.

Guilty confession, I got a Kemper a month or two ago and that has been my go to. Before that I had been playing my Fender Dual Showman Reverb through a load box almost exclusively. The Showman is amazing through the 2 x 15 cabinet with original JBLs, and I'm eventually going to profile it. But having so many different amp sounds at hand, being able to listen through headphones or studio monitors, not having to worry about mic'ing, and the stereo effects return make the Kemper my go to these days for my uses. Maybe I'm just lazy but it sounds pretty good to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freakynorth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by freakynorth » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:29 am

1968 Drip-edge/Silverface Fender Champ!
Total dream of an amp.
In terms of bigger amps.. I had a 1976 Hiwatt DR-201 for years. 200 watt tube monster.
Nothing came close sound wise, the best bass amp ever.

User avatar
umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 pm
Location: Canada

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by umma gumma » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:34 am

don't know if I have "a" favourite, but some good ones:

Ampeg V4B
Marshall 100w Super PA
Garnet BTO
Supro 1624T
Fender Princeton Reverb
Gibson GA18
Vox AC30
Fender Tweed Deluxe
Traynor YBA1

User avatar
murch33
Common Wiggler
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 pm
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by murch33 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:13 am

The two I’ve ended up with are a Germino Club 40 and a Blackfaced Bandmaster Reverb. The Germino cranked up is my favorite crunch tone, and the Bandmaster has stupid good cleans.

User avatar
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:33 am

sduck wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm
Yes, those nextone amps look and sound like snake oil to me. I've listened to the demos - lots of them - and can't hear any significant difference between the tube types. It's still a nice sounding amp though. My mesa boogie is set up with el34's on the outside, and 6L6gc's on the inside, so you can sort of mix and match them, and there's a huge difference in the sounds. I think boss is trying to appeal to the amp snobs by using the term "tubes" enough times in the ad copy that people will overlook the complete lack of any actual tubes or tube amp sounds. I've got a katana 100 amp here, and it's a great sounding amp, much better sounding than most solid state amps, but it's still definitely solid state sounding.
I'm sort of done with tubes. Leaving aside the environmental aspects of them, which I'm told are pretty hideous, the maintenance aspects and associated woo are enough to put me off. I must have tin ears, because I don't hear perceptible differences between good tube and good solid state amps; both are aurally pleasing to me.

From what I've read the Katana Mk.II series move the ball even further along than the first gen, but in this environment A/Bing one against the other models I'm interested in from Quilter, Blackstar's Silverline series, and Orange just isn't possible.

User avatar
numan7
the most autistic amongst us
Posts: 6425
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by numan7 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:10 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am
Guilty confession, I got a Kemper a month or two ago and that has been my go to. Before that I had been playing my Fender Dual Showman Reverb through a load box almost exclusively. The Showman is amazing through the 2 x 15 cabinet with original JBLs, and I'm eventually going to profile it. But having so many different amp sounds at hand, being able to listen through headphones or studio monitors, not having to worry about mic'ing, and the stereo effects return make the Kemper my go to these days for my uses. Maybe I'm just lazy but it sounds pretty good to me.
nice desk, Sinamsis! :hail:

i always wanted a showman - the white tolex blackface heads with matching cabinets in particular.

one of my vintage fenders here is a 1964 super that had its 4x10 inch speaker configuration modified to have a single 1950s 15 inch jensen speaker (that i think was used on 1950s supers) instead. it sounds lush and beautiful (and i'm always tempted to modify my 1965 super to be the same - which alongside the 1964 super, i imagine, would sound something like your dual showman).

btw, have you tried or thought about boss sy-1000? i'm curious how you might rate the boss amp models against similar kemper models you've tried.


cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

echofields
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:53 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by echofields » Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 pm

I've tried quite a few modern tube amps... Haven't found anything that I like as much as my JC40, but I get all of my dirt from pedals and just use the amp as a clean platform. Having a stereo in is awesome, and the stereo chorus effects are hella sweet. Two underrated aspects are having a headphone port in the back for practice, and that it's one of the lightest 40 watt amps out there..!!

Closest I've come to changing was an AC15CC1. Loved that amp, would love to pick up another someday when I've stopped buying Euro gear...

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6342
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:00 pm

... guitars = my Marshall 20 watt Lead/Bass. Takes to pedals like no other guitar amplifier I've ever used.

... bass = Ampeg SVT 300 watt tube head.

... currently my bass rig uses two Mackie i1400 solid state pa power amps. each one is rated at 1,400 watts in mono bridged mode. i use a complex system of a 4 pickup bass guitar, each pickup is routed to a Mackie 12ch mixer where each pickup can be processed as desired. Use of mute/solo buttons on the mixer allows for instant tone switching and easy reconfiguration of the routing matrix.

:)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4248
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Sinamsis » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

numan7 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:10 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am
Guilty confession, I got a Kemper a month or two ago and that has been my go to. Before that I had been playing my Fender Dual Showman Reverb through a load box almost exclusively. The Showman is amazing through the 2 x 15 cabinet with original JBLs, and I'm eventually going to profile it. But having so many different amp sounds at hand, being able to listen through headphones or studio monitors, not having to worry about mic'ing, and the stereo effects return make the Kemper my go to these days for my uses. Maybe I'm just lazy but it sounds pretty good to me.
nice desk, Sinamsis! :hail:

i always wanted a showman - the white tolex blackface heads with matching cabinets in particular.

one of my vintage fenders here is a 1964 super that had its 4x10 inch speaker configuration modified to have a single 1950s 15 inch jensen speaker (that i think was used on 1950s supers) instead. it sounds lush and beautiful (and i'm always tempted to modify my 1965 super to be the same - which alongside the 1964 super, i imagine, would sound something like your dual showman).

btw, have you tried or thought about boss sy-1000? i'm curious how you might rate the boss amp models against similar kemper models you've tried.


cheers
Sorry I missed this. I’ll be honest, I have not explored modeling outside of the Kemper really. I bought the Kemper on a whim to some degree. I wanted a solution to run stereo pedals in the effects loop of an amp, and I wanted to get away from being tied to big tube amps and mic’ing, or using load boxes in a studio setting. So I gave the Kemper a shot out of desperation and I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve not used it extensively yet, but I quickly found that it really streamlined my process and makes me reach for my guitar much more often. The models sound pretty good to me; it’s been a long time since I’ve tried VSTs, but I was never satisfied with them in the past. This feels different, at least to me. Otherwise I considered an Axe FX but it just seemed like it might get overwhelming rather quickly. And the profiling side of the Kemper seemed pretty cool to me. Perhaps it’s a gimmick, I’ll report back once I’ve profiled my Showman. Once I’ve learned the process and refined it, however, I think it will open a lot of doors. I have quite a few friends that are guitar snobs with fancy amps that would be happy to bring them by for profiling.

I used to think a clean amp and a bunch of pedals are all I needed. I never really got why folks would collect a bunch of heads, or use a live set up with multiple amps. The Kemper has taught me otherwise. There are so many different flavors of dirt available that do seem unique to the specific amp. It’s actually made me feel like the dirt pedals on my board are unnecessary, or at least over kill. The other thing I’m not totally convinced of is how well the Kemper takes gain on the front end, though I have had some positive results with boost pedals in front of amp models. I need to get a better grasp of gain-staging the Kemper in general.

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4248
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Sinamsis » Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:00 pm
... guitars = my Marshall 20 watt Lead/Bass. Takes to pedals like no other guitar amplifier I've ever used.

... bass = Ampeg SVT 300 watt tube head.

... currently my bass rig uses two Mackie i1400 solid state pa power amps. each one is rated at 1,400 watts in mono bridged mode. i use a complex system of a 4 pickup bass guitar, each pickup is routed to a Mackie 12ch mixer where each pickup can be processed as desired. Use of mute/solo buttons on the mixer allows for instant tone switching and easy reconfiguration of the routing matrix.

:)
Damn that sounds crazy... which SVT do you have? I use an SVT II Pro with my Stingray 5. The Stringray is the bass I was looking for for probably two decades haha. The SVT II Pro is great, but I wonder if I’m missing out and maybe another SVT would be “better.” I don’t particularly need the EQ section. I really like the bite that it adds. It also weighs a ton. Regardless, the Ampeg blows the water out of any solid state amp I’ve ever played and I could never go back to that. I’ve tried Sansamp and other pedals but nothing sounds like the Ampeg to me, and I absolutely love the sound of a tube amp on a bass guitar. The Kemper, btw, has a couple pretty convincing Ampeg profiles.

User avatar
aethyr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Over the edges

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by aethyr » Sat May 23, 2020 9:30 pm

EA2AF514-8DE8-4112-9A11-ADCCF34ED64D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Standup
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: what is your favorite amp?

Post by Standup » Tue May 26, 2020 12:59 pm

EEF60526-EB67-4F05-95D0-3C0E3F968683.jpeg
This is not actually my favorite. A showman combo with 1x15 is the fave.

But this is kinda cool, a Chinese clone of a retro 18 watt Marshall. I. Built the cabinet out of scrap plywood, it’s functional but not a beauty.

This amp gets the loud and snotty tones. 4/8/16 watt switchable, triode/pentode switch for a rawer sound, a direct out that I haven’tused because I prefer to mic it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”