MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what is your favorite amp?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author what is your favorite amp?
tuj
I have so many, it's hard to pick a favorite, but I guess because I lusted after it for a long time and finally picked one up a few years ago, mine has to be the Fender Prosonic. Two channels, clean and gain. The gain channel has two cascading gains and can get surprisingly dirty and down for a Fender. Sounds more like a Mesa Boogie. The clean channel is pure vintage Fender. The thing that really perplexes with this amp is that you can run it class-a or class-a/b. I usually always run it class a and that gives it a really unique sound; the Fender sound but more 'forward', almost like it's being crossed with an AC30.

Some of my others:
-Fender Silverface Champ (great small amp)
-Orange Microterror head and cab
-Ibanez TSA15H
-Jet City PicoValve
-Epiphone Valve Jr.
-Fender Silverface Bassman 100 head and 4x12 cab
-Peavey Valveking 100
-Mesa Boogie Studio preamp
-Tech21 preamp
-Digitech 2112 preamp
-Carvin Quad-X preamp
(preamps run into a 2x12 cab)

Tell, what is your favorite guitar amp and why?
Kent
In all honesty, I've been lusting for an Axe-FX II XL from Fractal. It seems perfect for what I want to do.

My four favourite amplifiers, which are the only amps that I've kept, and in no particular order, are:

1964 Ampeg Reverb-o-Rocket. Dreamiest Reverb Ever.
1969 Gibson RVT79.
1976 Orange OR120 2x12 Combo with original 30W Celestions. For Sale, btw.
200x Crate VTX 200W Combo. Best Solid State Amp Ever.

I would sell all of the others before selling the Gibson. It is a such an amazing amp. It can run in dual mono or stereo. It has a wonderful sounding reverb and tremolo as well. The dual mono thing is fun for when a friend comes over and, as can be seen in the picture below, there is nice separation due to the angle of speakers and enclosure.

The sound is along the lines of a Vox AC-30 (EL-84 power tubes) mixed with a brown-faced Fender. There isn't much in the way of completely clean headroom unless I back off the volume knobs of my guitars. It is simply a gorgeous sounding amp that has a nice & warm clean tone and some rockin' grit when turned up.

This one is on ebay right now. Mine is identical except that it uses a different, black, tolex and the badge is different.

stk
I've played a bunch over the years.

For guitar, my Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series (100w head into matching 4x12). Well loud, and valve clean (doesn't do the Marshall breakup thing, which is fine by me) add colour to taste with pedals.

For bass, a Sunn somethingorother thru an Ampeg 8x10 that I played on tour many years ago. Don't remember the details, apart from it belonging to Mastadon and sounding fucking incredible. The harder you hit it (and I did hit it hard) the more it breathed. Amazing.

I also have fond memories of my first "real" gigging amp, a Peavy Austin. Designed for lap steel, apparently. I wouldn't know for sure, but I assure you that Mustang > Austin equals facemelting Blixa/R.Howard tones.

Bonus points to my other current amp, an original JCM120. Basically because its tone is no tone, or rather the early Cure anti-rock absence of tone, or something like that. And it does shimmering shoegaze like nothing else.

@Kent, that Gibson looks dreamy love
sduck
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Mine's a combo that sits on top of a matching Thiele 1x12 cabinet, both with EV12L speakers - perfection!
tuj
@Kent, that Gibson looks cool, never seen one quite like that.
moremagic
the only reason ive looked at amps since getting my music man 212 65 has been to get something lighter after i had a back operation.
its a goofy hybrid from the 70s, the earlier model with the tube inverter, that killed its original speakers and got them replaced with higher rated fenders. its never as clean as any fender ive played, but it never breaks up too hard either. its a big sweet spot of just dirty enough to know the tubes are happy, and the vibrato and verb are really great on e p type sounds from my polysix, and its got a bright and a deep switch on the wet channel, for top and bass boost. with guitar i leave the bright off and the deep on mostly, and it gives me the most wonderful midrange growl
its the least metal amp ever, i love it
dkcg
Right now the amp I use most often is my Carr Slant 6V. Picked it up used for a fraction of what a new one costs. Basically a hot rodded Fender Deluxe type amp. It's got the beautiful cleans that I missed from my Twin, the distortion channel is ok, but I rarely use it.

I also use a Divided by 13 JRT9/15 with the Slant6V for running stereo. They sound a lot different from each other, but I think it makes stereo more interesting than 2 of the same amps.

Straight in with no (or very few, like 1 or 2) pedals, I like the Swart AST. The tremolo and reverb sound freaking beautiful.

I would have been set with the /13 and Swart, but I saw the Carr on CL for 80% cheaper than a new one....had the cash, had to have it.

And then there's the real gem....Pignose running off of 4 AA batteries.
Just me
My silverface Princton Reverb is my favorite to play. When I want heavy distortion at bedroom levels, I like my Blackstar. When I want my ears to bleed with feedback and scooped distortion, my Peavey Bandit 112 red stripe.
sduck
dkcg wrote:

And then there's the real gem....Pignose running off of 4 AA batteries.

Oh yea. I did a ton of gigs and recordings back in the day with a pignose plugged into a weird homemade transistor guitar amp. Sounded huge! And it's got to be the AA batteries - either of the wallwarts they sold for those things never worked right.

Reminds me - I still have it, haven't used it in decades. Last time I tried it it didn't work at all - some of the caps had pretty much disintegrated. Time to fix it up?
trickness
I've got a Tungsten Cortez, which is a 5E3/Tweed Deluxe based amp. Tweed cleans are my fave, especially with one 12". Just the purest sound you can get from an amp.
sduck
I can't believe I didn't mention my Dumble clone - a Ceriatone Bluesmaster 50 watt. I haven't used it as much the last few years - it kind of slid into the second slot when the Mark IV came, but I just got done playing with it and it's a truly incredible amp. So much tone!
Minimoog56
70 Jennings AC 40 with 2X 1962 Celestion Alnico G12-B Dick Denny built and
2013 Matchless Lightning Reverb 2x10"
very frustrating
Bonefish67
Wow, that's a great collection Minimoog. My favorite is the 57 low power Twin I built. Got some telefunkens in the front end, SoZo blue caps, blackface fender blue caps, Carbon Comps where needed, Dumble feedback mod, hot and cold biased stage 1 and 2 preamps, Mercury magnetics and Scumback m and h 2x12 mix.
-Mike
corpusjonsey
My favorite is my only amp: Rivera Sedona 55
AlanP
Bonefish67 wrote:
Wow, that's a great collection Minimoog. My favorite is the 57 low power Twin I built. Got some telefunkens in the front end, SoZo blue caps, blackface fender blue caps, Carbon Comps where needed, Dumble feedback mod, hot and cold biased stage 1 and 2 preamps, Mercury magnetics and Scumback m and h 2x12 mix.
-Mike

Seconded. I didn't use mojo parts, though! Just Mallory 150 caps, some CC (but mostly CF and MO) and Mojotone transformers. Oh, and Celestion G12M's.

The JCM800 tends to be the amp I test new pedal builds through, though.

The MG15 is the last resort, workbench-abuse amp.
sduck
So minimoog56, which one is your favorite?
Kent
Yeah, it's not just a gear list, you geezer.

w00t
construct09
Swart AST ^ like dkcg said, great trem and reverb.
Also a '65 blackface bassman head, love the clean on that.
Liquidcolor
Battered '66 Vibrolux Reverb. Next purchase is an old Princeton Reverb. Love the Blackface Fender tone.
snevlida14
I love old traynors. They sound great and are built like tanks. I have a late 60s yba1 bassmaster head (solid state rectified, choke , huge Hammond transformers) and it rips !!!! Not to mention I can use all 4 of the input jacks at once , I usually run a guitar , a synth , bass guitar , microphone all straight into the front of the head !
Minimoog56
Favorite is the one I am playing at the moment - i am a sucker for 2-10's. Matchless is the new kid and a toneful blank canvas.
colorbars
Oliver amps. Jess Oliver used to be the vice-president of Ampeg way back when and tried doing his own thing for a while, the result was the greatest amps i've ever seen or heard. If you ever come across one do yourself a favour and snatch it up.

Plus the combo versions do this... applause

Also have love for old Traynors and Garnets Rockin' Banana!
Moog$FooL$
snevlida14 wrote:
I love old traynors. They sound great and are built like tanks. I have a late 60s yba1 bassmaster head (solid state rectified, choke , huge Hammond transformers) and it rips !!!! Not to mention I can use all 4 of the input jacks at once , I usually run a guitar , a synth , bass guitar , microphone all straight into the front of the head !

solid!! Rockin' Banana! thumbs up

Garnet amps too.

myself..... i love just about anything made by Valco! applause
construct09
I've heard of noisy amps colorbars but that's ridiculous hihi
namon
I have played around with a few amps in the past, but I am and have been stuck on my mb 400+ for a while now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10