MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend me a drone box!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Recommend me a drone box!
Ramses
Greetings all. I am interested in getting a nice, handheld noise box with plenty of knobs that will deliver more of the dreamy drones. I do not intend to make evil, crusty, fizzling, noise blasts so much- more so the ambience that I could use as textures in my tracks. The more novelty the better! CV/gate ins are a plus too.

Thanks!

- Christophocles
bar|none
drone labs 2?

http://casperelectronics.com/finished-pieces/drone-lab/drone-lab-v2/
chinard
^^

I built one last month just for shits and giggles and i was amazed at just how much i have been using it.

Its limited but it does sound awesome. The VCO's have tons of drift to them and layer nicely, and the filters are quite interesting.
Add some delay and reverb and you have a nice little drone set in a box.
Ramses
Wow, that looks and sounds awesome. Would I save from buying the parts on my own from mouser? I would love to also build a cool enclosure and put some more unique knobs on it. Could be a pretty ornate box!

Any other recommendations?
nrdvrgr
Sleepdrone 5.
Add some delay/reverb and you are good to go...
chinard
Ramses wrote:
Would I save from buying the parts on my own from mouser?

probably.

most of the unit is made of standard off the shelf parts, the only thing that would be difficult to source would be those surface mount pots that he uses. but once again.. mouser is probably cheaper.
check the forums to see if someone has a BOM
Ramses
The sleepdrone 5 looks pretty nice. Seems a bit pricey though. Worth $350?

I like the idea of spending ~$200 on a kit that I will build myself because that's a pretty neat experience.

How's the utopia synth?
nrdvrgr
It is a bit pricey, yes... still good though, and built like a tank.

The Utopia is basically a smaller version, only 2 osc´s compared to the SD5´s four...

Another thing that is great with the SD5 is that each osc has a separate output (as well as a summed one), so you can process each one individually.

Like one with spacey dealy, one with reverb, one with another delay etc etc. That makes it very versatile.
SPUDBOY WILSON
I own KING CAPITOL PUNISHMENT gear
First there was the utopia synth, now the glamour box
The two boxes at very impressive, I can also plug the utopia synth into
The aux input of the glamour box for ++good horror show fun.
If I didn’t like the sound of these two boxes it would be a complete
Waste of money, however I like the sound a lot a whole lot
Money well spent Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger!
ezekiel
The online demo videos of the Grendel Drone Commander sounded like great.
SPUDBOY WILSON
[quote="nrdvrgr"]It is a bit pricey, yes... still good though, and built like a tank.

The Utopia is basically a smaller version, only 2 osc´s compared to the SD5´s four...

Another thing that is great with the SD5 is that each osc has a separate output (as well as a summed one), so you can process each one individually.

Like one with spacey dealy, one with reverb, one with another delay etc etc. That makes it very versatile.[/quote

THANK YOU FOR THE HELPFUL TIP thumbs up .
modularland
go with the classic:

http://www.gristleism.com/
SepticUnderground
DSI Evolver for really great ambient textures and backgroundlayers
Ramses
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

At this point it's a tossup between the Kingcapitolpunishment Utopia Synth and building my own.

But, it seems like a filter with resonance control would really be crucial to the perfect drone box. I gotta be able to reach out and sweep up shop without interrupting my moog flow. I bet some similar zaps and UFO landings can be achieved with the osc tuning on the Utopia though.

Are there any boxes out there that have control voltage capabilities? For example, it would be awesome to have some ambient wash sympathize with a 303 line.

If there are CV capabilities, imagine a drone box with a ribbon controller!

All the best,

-Christophocles
Ramses

At this point it's a tossup between the Kingcapitolpunishment Utopia Synth and building my own.

But, it seems like a filter with resonance control would really be crucial to the perfect drone box. I gotta be able to reach out and sweep up shop without interrupting my moog flow. I bet some similar zaps and UFO landings can be achieved with the osc tuning on the Utopia though.

Are there any boxes out there that have control voltage capabilities? For example, it would be awesome to have some ambient wash sympathize with a 303 line.

All the best,

-Christophocles
SPUDBOY WILSON
Ramses wrote:

I forgot to mention the Triwave Picogenerator
4ms. Makes a nice piece and you can buy the kit
http://4mspedals.com/triwave.php

you can get one with midi control
dronetaco
ezekiel wrote:

I have a drone commander and I use it constantly; couldn't recommend it more. Plus Eric Archer seems worthy of support. He comes up with all sorts of crazy shit. Bear in mind it is a bit pricey, although with the CV in and Clock out jacks it is ripe for integration. I used it all over my recent album. It is very raw, and can do both sweet lush scapes to gritty numb beat frequencies. Check this out for a sample of what the Grendel can do, it is ringing throughout this track:In the repeat
Reality Checkpoint
+1 for the Drone Commander, and as mentioned Eric is a good guy, worthy of your support.
ehr
dronetaco wrote:
ezekiel wrote:

I have a drone commander and I use it constantly; couldn't recommend it more. Plus Eric Archer seems worthy of support. He comes up with all sorts of crazy shit. Bear in mind it is a bit pricey, although with the CV in and Clock out jacks it is ripe for integration. I used it all over my recent album. It is very raw, and can do both sweet lush scapes to gritty numb beat frequencies. Check this out for a sample of what the Grendel can do, it is ringing throughout this track:In the repeat

awesome track, really dig the vocals. Is that an excerpt? or is it meant to be that short? And yeah the demos I've heard of the Drone Commander are so good.
dronetaco
ehr wrote:

awesome track, really dig the vocals. Is that an excerpt? or is it meant to be that short? And yeah the demos I've heard of the Drone Commander are so good.

...it is meant to be that short; I'm really into not giving away the whole farm when I'm fortunate enough to be able to restrain myself. Only in an effort to leave'em wanting more! I originally made it for a crappy youtube trailor to the album (search youtube for "skyprojection - in the repeat") and then figured it would be a good addition to the CD. Thanks!

I wish I had four Drone Commanders like the youtube demo so I could burn sage and zone the f*ck out woah
onrust nv
I've made a drone with 3 russian big muffs, 1 MF-101, 1 maxon FL-9, 1 tokai TFL-1, 1 EHX electric misstress, 1 EHX Worm.

If you are in possesion of 2 or more flangers, you've got a drone sutup without synths. Just add some reverbs and/or delays and you're ready.
voiceless
bar|none wrote:
drone labs 2?

http://casperelectronics.com/finished-pieces/drone-lab/drone-lab-v2/

this is a whole new world to me, that thing sounds freakin awesome. I should really learn how to DIY. I really like the drone commander, but this is really nifty too.
Pfurmel
Agree with the Drone Commander comments. Really fun to use, every time I switch it on I end up playing for hours, savage fun connected to a few guitar pedals.
xart
Get a Buchla 261e or 259e in a 2u boat...
As you know they are line level out so they are ready to go!
Thee Loving Hand
Another vote for the drone commander from the mighty eric archer thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2