DRUM TIME!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

DRUM TIME!

Post by tragedybysyntax » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Okay....... So, I"m looking to get into a nice drum machine and I"m considering a few things. Thought I would get your guys input if I could

SO.... as far as drum go, all I have is a circuit bent Alesis HR-16 and software. So... I've been checking out a few options and they go as such..

Thought about adding a bunch of Concursor modules as well as MFB's to run as a modular drum machine...... OR, a machinedrum.... OR a Vermona. It's hard as fuck to decide but with the euro option.. I"d be using all that modular space when I could have it for more of what euro has to offer....crazy lfo sources....an afg or even more harvestman shit....plan b? You guys feel me.... The vermona to me seems like a badass solution. Sux that I would have to trigger with midi........however with the 1/4" outputs.. I could run each seperate drum thru the modular and to pedals.... then track each sound once I established a cool sounding kit one by one into my DAW.

Machinedrum is badass but... I dunno, just not sold on it yet to be honest.

Input? THANKS GUYS! :)

Oh and I"d buy a 808 instead of all these options if it werent for the ridiculous value of them these days...LOL. peace!

*edit* I see that for a lil extra you get cv trigger in's... I might have to jump on this bitch soon, lol.

eyehue
High Desert

Post by eyehue » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 am

i feel you on this one.

i am in no position to afford a fancy drum machine at the moment, but really have been hemming and hawing on this for a long time.

i, too, have a bent digital drum machine, tr-626, which i dig for what it is and also an unbent yamaha rx7. they are fun, but not quite capable of realizing what i hear in my head.

my frac currently has a ds7 clone, thomas henry ud-1, cgs dual chime, and thomas henry adv snare. i've only just finished the cgs pulse divider, so i am wrapping my head around that right now still for triggering drum patterns. while this has also been fun, i don't think it's enough and plan on getting a cgs cynare for the modular. still, i need to study weird trigger patterns more to get some sounds i like. i can make bad house music really easily at this stage. on the other hand, a simple boom in time from the modular with the rest of the voices is excellent. also, a few of these modules have varying cv options and so many controls they are sort of dedicated percussive vcos. i'll bet some of those euro drum modules can do some sweet vco type stuff and singing drum type of sounds too. my next plan, maybe this evening, is to have the 626 trigger these modules, the patterns are already done so that would be simple. however, i'd like to make cool drum patterns just from the modular, i need to study up.

all this said, i think one day when i have the money, machinedrum will be the way for me to go next. i've read so many great things about it and seen some very simple videos on it. i've used the jomox machines before, but something about the jomox brand irks me. i can't put my finger on it... since i'll hopefully have a decent analog set in the frac, the vermona sure looks cool, but wouldn't be the direction for me.

not sure if this thinking out loud has helped or made it more difficult :eek: , but hey it's some input.

as far as an 808 goes, totally love the sound absolutely, but i feel i would have the bad luck of spending a shitload and then having it break, simply due to age.

please keep us informed of the direction you decide on.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:06 am

in my world this is a really easy one

get a ER-1 for under a hundred bucks. love the hell out of it 'till you can afford a machinedrum

perfect course of action.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:11 am

machinedrum is super fun, i'm not 100% sold on the overall timbre of it but it's a joy to use, really flexible and capable of cool sounds.

i'm thinking about selling my evolver and saving for the linndrum II analog myself...

eyehue
High Desert

Post by eyehue » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:15 am

i haven't seen er-1 go for under $100.

i forgot to mention i have an mpc500, but i never seem to use it. i keep working on the modular and always feel real proud when i do something super cool without midi. i should dust that thing off.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:26 am

er-1 is quite limited, but a boatload of fun. i got a bit bored with it when i borrowed a friend's er-1 for a few months, but if i found one for under 100$ or even 100 euros, i would still most probably get one. they just usually seem to go for more here, like everything else.

oh, mpc1000 with the alternative "jj" os is really cool for drum duties too. if you're into sampled drums, that is.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:32 am

I paid $100 for mine i believe

and it IS a TON of fun!

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:41 am

every time i start thinking like "well er-1 is basically a limited, cheapo toy", i rummage my mp3 archives and listen to two live techno jams my super talented friend did with an er-1 and an effect pedal or two.

listening to killer stuff made with very limited gear always gives some perspective - you can make most things sound good if you have the chops and inspiration, and having fun in the process is really the most important thing :coffee:

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:10 am

i'm getting together my drum modular. i'll finally build the dual chime soon. also since acquiring the Hexzone i've been able to make some cool patterns and i've got enough modules now that i can patch up some kicks, snares, hats, etc. without dedicated drum modules. but the main thing is getting more modules with weird trigger/clocking options and spending more time working out patterns.

the big advantage i see to having dedicated drum modules is not having to tie up your other modules with drum duties so you can persue a more fleshed out jam and also great for expanding your non percussive palette as many of you know drum modules don't have to sound percussive at all with the right settings.

i've tried out a vermona but it just didn't do it for me and this is when my ear wasn't developed so much but that kinda says it all.

as usual.. GO MODULAR GO!
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:13 am

also heard about an 808 diy. i think it might be related to the x0xbox guy's but not sure.

anyways it seems to be a super 808 thanks to lots of CV options, etc.
Last edited by Kwote on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

eyehue
High Desert

Post by eyehue » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:13 am

i have frac space set aside for a Hex Zone, just to the left of my pulse divider. i bet that Hex will help me out for sure.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:18 am

eyehue wrote:i have frac space set aside for a Hex Zone, just to the left of my pulse divider. i bet that Hex will help me out for sure.
yes. here's two great aspects: you can just mult your drum sounds and patch in a pattern to your 16 switches and let it ride. i've done this and then selected random on the switch gate for the following sequence which greatly varies the pattern.

also i've patched just into 3, 4 or 8 of the first switches and then just programmed what switches come on when.

so straight up patch style or program style, best of both worlds, but not nearly as annoying as programming other things. still very much modular minded.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

eyehue
High Desert

Post by eyehue » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:26 am

i need the Hex ASAP!!!!!

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:36 am

One that often gets overlooked is the TR-707. You can pick them up quite cheap. They have individual outs for each of the 10 drum sounds, plus stereo & phone outputs. You would also need the cartridge for pattern memory when powering off.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:48 am

Elektron Machinedrum wins hands down. It's a brilliant drum machine, but also does a LOT more than just drums. Have a quick flick through the online manual to see some of its extra features.
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:25 am

futuresoundsystems wrote:Elektron Machinedrum wins hands down. It's a brilliant drum machine, but also does a LOT more than just drums. Have a quick flick through the online manual to see some of its extra features.
Yeah, I've heard some full tracks complete with melodies and chords / arps done with just a stock non-UW Machinedrum. For example. I've toyed around with MD at a friend's place and it's a powerful beast. A Monomachine works quite fantastically in drum duties too (at least for certain types of tracks).

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:59 am

I have a Zoom RhythmTrak RT-234 and I think it's pretty impressive for the price. (can be had for $50 to $100 on Ebay)

http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod ... prodID=177

These peices don't really show it off but are kinda cool anyway! :spin:

Return to “General Gear”