MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[NEW RUN!] Random*Source Serge boats (4U) - regular / XL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author [NEW RUN!] Random*Source Serge boats (4U) - regular / XL
nordlead
Update 4 April 2016: New run is in production ...

Update: 22 Feb 2016: Based on a number of requests, I'm contemplating to do another boat run - please let me know if you are interested (and what kind - regular or XL).

Update: 25 Nov 2014: w00t We're now accepting orders for a 2nd run of our high-quality Random*Source Serge/4U boats w00t (the first round is already gone).

Actual pics of original version (1st run, brushed aluminum):

Some (exciting) changes compared to the first batch:

* New material (AluNox), specially treated of aluminum with a stainless steel look.

* More shallow (10mm less high = 70mm inside, 73mm outside without rubber feet) for increased sex appeal.

* 2 widths: Regular (17" wide for 1 full panel or 4 modules in our 4x4 format) with optional rack ears and XL (+50% wider than the regular boat for 6 modules in 4x4 format or a full panel plus a 4x4 module on each side.

* Prices: Regular boat: EUR 130 (+ EUR 30 for a pair of rack ears), XL boat (very limited number): EUR 200 (no rack ear option)

Shipping costs are expected to be the same (see below).

To order please send me an email (rather than a PM) - thanks!

More info and pics on the original (regular) boats from the original thread:

=============

After more than 8 months of checking out more than 5 different companies it looks like we finally found a way to get high quality, rock solid aluminum boats for Serge (style) panels manufactured:
nanners

* for 4 Random*Source panels ("4x4" format) (upcoming!) or
    * for Edelweiss, La Bestia & Co. or
    * for 1 (full) Serge/STS panel or
    * for 2 M-Class + Obelisk
    * 1.5mm aluminum (sanded/ground)
    * no drilling / cutting required
    * cutout for Neutrik XLR (4-Pole power socket) in the side
    * M3/M4 threads
    * optional: CNC made rack ears, anodized
    * made in Germany
    * 3.5" (85 mm) deep

Prices:

4U Boat without rack ears: EUR 125 / USD 150
4U Boat with rack ears: EUR 155 / USD 185

(XLR jack is not included!)

Shipping: depending on # of boats and destination, here's an estimate

1-5 Boats with DHL within EU: € 16
1-5 Boats with DHL to USA: USD 50

We may have to adjust these prices slightly to account for paypal fees/exchange rates/rubber feet/packaging, but don't expect huge changes.

Additional pair of Rack Ears: EUR 30 / USD 35 (limited availability)

How to order:

Please post your order in this thread including your shipping destination like this:

2 boats + 2 pairs of rack ears, Italy

=========================

ORDERS (1st RUN) (paid / shipped):

ndkent: 2 boats, 2 pairs of rack ears, USA
rattlework: 2 boats, 2 pairs of rack ears, USA
NYMo: 1 boat, 1 pair of rack ears, Australia
modintx: 3 boats, 3 pairs of rack ears, USA
udbhav: 2 boats, 2 pairs of rack ears, USA
PF: 2 boats, 2 pairs of rack ears, Sweden
bluedonkey: 1 boat, UK

=================================
Some more info from the original thread:

Boat is designed to mount 4 modules (each 4.25" wide) ("4x4" format) or 1 full panel (Serge/STS format) or 2 M-class panels plus obelisk.

There's a cutout for a Neutrik 4-pole XLR socket for power (to connect the upcoming RandomSource PSU via XLR) plus a normal round hole in the back.

Material is 1.5mm (sanded/ground, not anodized) aluminum.

Rack ear mounts (for M4 screws) compatible with STS rack ears. We've also found another company that can made us nice rack ears (anodized aluminum, 3mm strong) that are CNC'd (not bent), so they have a nice sharp edge:

ndkent
2 boats 2 pairs of ears USA

I'm definitely interested in more, especially if the price point can come down a bit, but I also don't want to be caught short on money when it's time to pay.
rattlework
2 boats with 2 sets of rack ears USA
mothertongue
Ooh...looks nice!

What is the approximate weight of these boxes?
Jonachi
nordlead wrote:

* for 4 Random*Source panels ("4x4" format) (upcoming!)

Would like to know more about these before I make up my mind! hihi
NYMo
1 boat no rack ears a Australia

Cherrs
modintx
2 boats with 2 sets of rack ears USA
udbhav
2x boats with rack ears to the USA for me please.
nordlead
Started a list of orders in the first post - please let me know if I you detect an error there. thumbs up

mothertongue wrote:

Just measured 535g for a boat with rack ears and a Neutrik XLR socket, but no rubber feet.

Jonachi wrote:
Would like to know more about these before I make up my mind!

The idea is simple: instead of a full panel like Edelweiss or La Bestia, we will produce quarter-size (4.25" wide) panels of the same quality. Each panel contains 4 1" cols, so you can mix and match, like (not the final designs yet!):

Will post more info on this soon...
grilojoe
nordlead wrote:

The idea is simple: instead of a full panel like Edelweiss or La Bestia, we will produce quarter-size (4.25" wide) panels of the same quality. Each panel contains 4 1" cols, so you can mix and match, like (not the final designs yet!):

That's crazy. I've been kicking around an idea like this for about a month, but hadn't acted on it because I wasn't sure if I was crazy for even considering it. It was just last night I'd resolved to go ahead and build my modular this way. Mr. Green
PF
2 x boats with rackears for me... Sweden
gwaidan
Sweet!
Jonachi
nordlead wrote:
Started a list of orders in the first post - please let me know if I you detect an error there. thumbs up

mothertongue wrote:

Just measured 535g for a boat with rack ears and a Neutrik XLR socket, but no rubber feet.

Jonachi wrote:
Would like to know more about these before I make up my mind!

Really looking forward to see what modules will be included in these panels! I would love to see the Clee quantizer!
Setherian
great idea, but let me ask, why not comply to the original serge 2.5" deep boat size? the lower the better right? and it can then fit the now so cheap m-cases..
nordlead
Setherian wrote:
great idea, but let me ask, why not comply to the original serge 2.5" deep boat size? the lower the better right?

We decided to start with a depth that's still DIY-friendly, 2.5" is a problem for some modules (like the new Var Q filter or Stereo Mixer) or when stacking PCBs is needed. Also, unless you use it for a full (STS) panel, it's nice to have some space for power distribution. In particular the XLR socket takes up some space inside. MOTM headers (which CGS and many others use for good reasons, but not STS) also take up about 2 cm in height. On the other hand, 4.5" is very comfortable, but doesn't look too sexy, so 3.5" seems to be a good middle ground.

The dual pcb approach used for fonik's dual 555 vco of course allows to go down to 2.5" or even lower, so this might come up in the future...

Setherian wrote:
and it can then fit the now so cheap m-cases..

Sorry, what cases are you referring to?
modintx
Jonachi wrote:

Quote:
Really looking forward to see what modules will be included in these panels! I would love to see the Clee quantizer!

I second that desire for the Clee in this format +1

w00t
tobb
You can't use these boats to fit a TKB panel into it,there are two missing holes at the bottom for that,i did send a message about that to include them but got no reply.
nordlead
tobb wrote:
You can't use these boats to fit a TKB panel into it,there are two missing holes at the bottom for that,i did send a message about that to include them but got no reply.

Hey tobb, sorry, can't seem to find that p.m. or email(?) - mind sending it again by email? (I don't have a TKB, so I'm not aware of this.) Thanks!
nordlead
Will have a look at the Clee quantizer - it does look interesting, indeed! w00t
Jonachi
applause applause applause
tobb
nordlead wrote:
tobb wrote:

Hey tobb, sorry, can't seem to find that p.m. or email(?) - mind sending it again by email? (I don't have a TKB, so I'm not aware of this.) Thanks!

check in your spam folder maybe ,i did send it to

ralf (a) rh3.de some time ago

anyway look at the serge tkb front,the two bottom screws are setoff from the corners,thats because the screws serve also to hold the keypad pcb

I think its importand to include those two xtra fixing points,whenever Zthee will come up with his diy Serge TKB you won't be able to fix the panel in one of your boats
CLee
Really top quality work, nice.

(email sent to you Nordlead)

Craig
Pfurmel
Do these fit the BOCGS and Dimitri's panels?

Sorry if this has been answered already,

Barry
harolddonnelly
Great designs! Looking forward to the random source 4 panels pre boat. Are you going to continually do runs of these boats?
nordlead
Thanks for your comments, guys! thumbs up

Will look into the TKB suggestion, but I'm not sure if we are able to reflect this in the first round.

Pfurmel wrote:
Do these fit the BOCGS and Dimitri's panels?

I wouldn't know since I don't have any of these, but I believe they have holes that are not compatible with STS (but with BUD boxes). So I don't see why the panels themselves should not fit, but the existing mounting holes/threads can most likely not be used.

harolddonnelly wrote:
Are you going to continually do runs of these boats?

I'm really hesitant to do any forecasts here - so far the boat story has been close to a mission impossible, we've had quite a few setbacks, including one production company actually burning down(!)...
It looks like we are there now, but Murphy's law might still be applicable. Guess we'll do a first run and then take it from there.
w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5