MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CFM BHWR - Bipolar Half Wave Rectifier
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author CFM BHWR - Bipolar Half Wave Rectifier
ben_hex
Saw this on modular grid, muffs search and google search not leading to much. They're up as "coming soon" on Schnieders.

Here's the link and write up.

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-cfm-bhwr-rectifier

The abbreviation BHWR stands for bipolar half-wave rectifier. It is a passive dual module offering a new wave shaping concept, routing options and new sounds.
In simple words the BHWR splits a signal into it's positive and negative half-wave or it combines due to it's bi-polarity the half-waves of two different singals into a new one.

Quote:
Standard use:
The BHWR splits a bipolar waveform, inected at the ± socket in their positive (+ socket) and negative (- socket) half-wave. Now you can process the both waves separately: filter them, distort, waveshape, rum them thru different wave multipliers, as you like. Afterwards you can mix them for instance.

reverse use:
In this case you can input two different signal, from which the BHWR picks one positive and one nehative half wave and generates a new bi-polar wave at the ± socket. For thechnical reasons the + socket is responsible for the negative half wave and the - socket for the positive one.
The two input signal can be at the same frequency (e.g. two wave forms form the same VCO), but then don't have to! Experiment with synchronized VCOs or two totally different frequencies.
Dcramer
Cool, and passive w00t
ben_hex
Yeah 2hp as well, useful little unit. At first I was thinking that an LFO in or bipolar envelope with the positive to one filter and negative to a second in series but then the reverse mode making new bipolar waves out of two u I polar sources! Could be ace, new audio rate waves is the first thing to spring to mind.
artisokka
Looks extremely cool!
gde
4 diodes total... Maybe a couple resistors. Easy to DIY, but that of course isn't for everybody. Don't know what it looks like behind the panel, but the front is really clean. Interested to see what other designs they are working on.
Endorfinity
correct me if I'm wrong, the effect of half rectified wave is like having it pitch shifted an octave down, right? or will it sound distorted? interesting either way...
Navs
gde wrote:
4 diodes total...

Rock on, Euro lol

Endorfinity, it will sound distorted. The harmonics but not the the pitch will change. If you full-wave rectify a triangle (an active process) you will double the frequency.
Igor Berlin
ben_hex wrote:
...but then the reverse mode making new bipolar waves out of two u I polar sources! Could be ace, new audio rate waves is the first thing to spring to mind.

Yes, I wonder if you can put in two very fast envelopes (which are positiv) and get a nice VCO-like wave/ sound out of it.
ben_hex
Igor Berlin wrote:
ben_hex wrote:
...but then the reverse mode making new bipolar waves out of two u I polar sources! Could be ace, new audio rate waves is the first thing to spring to mind.

Yes, I wonder if you can put in two very fast envelopes (which are positiv) and get a nice VCO-like wave/ sound out of it.

Yeah or 2 different folded waves or but crushed wave and non bit crushed.
CFM
Dear Fellow Wigglers!

I'm very happy to be able to announce that our first module, the Bipolar Half-Wave Rectifier, will be arriving at Schneiders tomorrow, and is available online right now! For those who pre-ordered at Schneiders, I expect they'll ship in the next few days, and those pre-ordered from me will be going out tomorrow!

All the best!

Alex CFM
Dcramer
w00t
gottberg
Endorfinity wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong, the effect of half rectified wave is like having it pitch shifted an octave down, right? or will it sound distorted? interesting either way...

I think not (have not tried it though). Half the wave is gone but the frequency of the other half is not changed. The amplitude is halved, you can expect the sound to distort but the pitch should not shift.

On the other hand a full wave rectifier has an octave up effect.
echoplex
any demos?
ben_hex
echoplex wrote:
any demos?

Video coming soon thumbs up
echoplex
thanks.. that's great .. ! applause
dulcett
CFM

How long is the wait time for the Rectifier at the moment? Just bought mine directly from the CFM site yesterday.
wednesdayayay
Love this concept I stumbled onto the circuit on my breadboard
This works amazingly well with the ciat lonbarde plumbutter

I had meng qi add me a couple in my original expander idea.
echoplex
need some samples of this unit now screaming goo yo Mr. Green
wednesdayayay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFU8RyQjBY
here is a video showing what mine was doing to get your water wheels running
CFM
dulcett wrote:
CFM

How long is the wait time for the Rectifier at the moment? Just bought mine directly from the CFM site yesterday.

Zero. Going into the postal dimension tomorrow!
dulcett
CFM wrote:
dulcett wrote:
CFM

Zero. Going into the postal dimension tomorrow!

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

Cheers.
Rob
JensenR30
This seems like it could be a neat little module.

Still, the passive diodes will have some voltage drop, thereby distorting the signal.
With just an op amp or two, you could make "superdiodes" (active signal rectifiers with no voltage drop).
This might improve the signal quality.

That said, because the two input waveforms would be essentially cut and spliced together, maybe having zero voltage drop isn't an issue...

Just a thought.
CFM
JensenR30 wrote:

Still, the passive diodes will have some voltage drop, thereby distorting the signal.
With just an op amp or two, you could make "superdiodes" (active signal rectifiers with no voltage drop).

That said, because the two input waveforms would be essentially cut and spliced together, maybe having zero voltage drop isn't an issue...

Just a thought.

The diodes are Schottkys, so the drop isn't as bad. With active rectification you wouldn't be able to use it backwards.
JensenR30
CFM wrote:
JensenR30 wrote:

Just a thought.

The diodes are Schottkys, so the drop isn't as bad. With active rectification you wouldn't be able to use it backwards.

Good point.
I didn't consider that.
But on the topic of using it in the "reverse" direction to combine two waveforms, how are the waveforms recombined?
The circuit I have in my head (which is essentially just two diodes in series with the input voltage connected to the middle of the diodes) would short the two inputs together when the negative (+ label) input is low and the positive (- label) input is high.

There is probably more to the circuit than I am imagining.

I would love to see/hear a demonstration of the recombination mode! grin
echoplex
okay, can someone please upload a little demo video of this thing.. just to see what it does and what it sounds like..shitty quality, I dont care..
But I really have to make a decision on this quickly !!!

thanks[/u]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3