MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I think I'm getting back in - Euro Creature?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I think I'm getting back in - Euro Creature?
GeneralBigBag
I think I want back in to modular, I'd like a Serge setup, but the cost is a bit steep, and Euro seems to have caught up as far as west-coast-isms go.
I'm thinking about this:

Which seems to be more or less the Creature. It's got enough going on that it's self-contained, and I can always hook it up with the EuF for some VC-AHR, VC-LFO, and etc...

Does this make sense?
J3RK
You basically have what I'm running right now, only I'm using the Noisering instead of the Wogglebug, and I have a Dalek Modulator going into it soon. I'm doing two racks instead of one, but I basically want a small, self-contained system like this as well. I'll just be doubling up on some of the Wiard modules is all. (and tossing in a SynthTech e350 for good measure)

I've been quite surprised by what I've been getting out of a similar system though. It's really a lot of fun.
GeneralBigBag
I was considering the Noisering instead, get some more Malekko in there, but I like the idea of having a fourth bit that I can use as a filter... I guess that is a lot of filtering...
Cybananna
The Malekko / Wiard Envelator will be out soon, so it would be worth looking into two of those instead of the Maths. They will fit in the same footprint.

Maths is great, I have one, but i'm really looking forwar to the Envelator.
suboptimal
Tough choice, really. Channels 2 and 3 of the Maths are extremely useful, especially as additional modifiers for the outputs of channels 1 and 4. The Envelator looks like it'll be amazing, though. Guess you can't go wrong on this front...

Edit: And to the OP, this looks like a really fun single row. Get some stackjacks and you'll be in business. Makes me think I need to do something like this myself...
Veqtor
Go for the maths, it's freaking awesome!
GeneralBigBag
I have yet to understand the powers of the Envelator over Maths...I should have a look back at the Wiard site...

All this said, I can't shake the lingering feeling that this setup wouldn't be as singularly awesome as this
itijik
Take those wogglebugs out of there, to make room for...well, you know Mr. Green
jenamu6
You need multiples in that first rack.........a lot
parasitk
It's not really anything like a Creature, and it certainly won't sound like one. It's a cool rack of goodies though! thumbs up
REwire
There aren't any filters in Euro that sound like the Serge but the Frequensteiner is the only one that really takes to being FM'd like the Serge. Now, if I could have just one filter it'd be the Cwejman MMF6.

Also, the Anti-Osc is cool but doesn't make osc waveforms like the Creature's VC Timegen osc. For that I'd get a Z3000, uLFO or OSC-6 or add the 6hp Asol Osc to the Anti-Osc.

Dan
GeneralBigBag
@jenmu6 - I'm thinking either the MW case, which has mults, or just get a bunch of stackables. I'll prob do the latter, since I'm thoroughly spoiled from my Buchla experiences

@ Parasitik - It's not about the sound as much as the ballpark functionality, crossfader which will do VCA work, MMF that can track a keyboard and can be rung, oscillator with a bit of jazz, something like a VCS, and something in the realm of a SSG (no comparator admittedly, and I suspect vastly different core)

@ Rewire - You're right, but with the EuF I feel well spec'd out filterwise, I had thought about leaving the borg out altogether, but I don't have a vactrol filter (unless I'm in for a surprise if I opened the EuF), and I like the idea of self-contained-ness.
I suppose the Frequensteiner is the same functionality... guess it's time to check some demos ...
J3RK
REwire wrote:
There aren't any filters in Euro that sound like the Serge but the Frequensteiner is the only one that really takes to being FM'd like the Serge. Now, if I could have just one filter it'd be the Cwejman MMF6.

Also, the Anti-Osc is cool but doesn't make osc waveforms like the Creature's VC Timegen osc. For that I'd get a Z3000, uLFO or OSC-6 or add the 6hp Asol Osc to the Anti-Osc.

Dan

Something SSMish is nice FM-wise. I'm speaking from the standpoint of a MOTM 440, but I'm guessing something like the TipTop SSM filter would provide a similar FM response. (which is to say fast and smooth...)
smitty
If you take into account costs for multis and tip top cables, there isn't much difference in price with this system and a creature.
GeneralBigBag
Ah - my reasoning:

Euro:
Option 1
385 MW Case (negating the need for mults)
250 AntiO
225 BorgF
240 Maths (at Moog)
270 Wogglebug
140 VC Panner
1510 Total

Option 2
200 Doepfer DIY
20 Wood etc
32 4x stackable cables
1375 Total

Where the Creature + Case + PSU is $2025. I suppose if I built my own case it would be $1725, and/or it was reasonable to replace the PSU with something off-the-shelf (vis a vis https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11765&start=0), then it would be a fair comparison.
dkcg
GeneralBigBag wrote:
I have yet to understand the powers of the Envelator over Maths...I should have a look back at the Wiard site...

All this said, I can't shake the lingering feeling that this setup wouldn't be as singularly awesome as this

Needs more cowbell.
REwire
Just get the Creature! All 42U of my Euro stuff can't make many of the sounds that little one panel synth can. Despite what Rex says about how sensitive it is, you can mount it in anything. Mine is in a Buchla box and for a while was held steady only by it's bottom naked and still worked. That filter is the best ever made! The dynamic curve of the envelopes is so perfect as well.

My Creature Demo

Dan
aetherpulse
REwire wrote:
Just get the Creature! All 42U of my Euro stuff can't make many of the sounds that little one panel synth can. Despite what Rex says about how sensitive it is, you can mount it in anything. Mine is in a Buchla box and for a while was held steady only by it's bottom naked and still worked. That filter is the best ever made! The dynamic curve of the envelopes is so perfect as well.

My Creature Demo

Dan

I agree, just get the creature. Why get something to be kinda like it when for a little more you can get the thing you're trying to sorta be like?
J3RK
REwire wrote:

My Creature Demo

Dan

That is an excellent filter. The MOTM 440 can do those sounds, bubblies, the nice eeeeaaaiiiiioooowwww FM basses, etc. Nice stuff though. I've wanted a Creature on and off for a while, and may jump eventually. smile
GeneralBigBag
I worry at how well the pro-creature arguments are resonating within me now....
smitty
I'm sure you have probably checked out carbon111's page : http://www.carbon111.com/creature.html
Kent
cue cave-in in 3...2...1... lol
tIB
another plus 1 on getting the creature... mboat aside it cant be that different in price?
jenamu6
mmm, i'd say go euro.

That way you get to have a total new hobby on the side.........collecting modules on a monthly basis.
Cause there's tons of new exotic `(with no Serge counterparts) modules coming out.
tIB
^ guess it depends on whether you just want a creature (or equivalent) or you want something to grow. how well does sts and euro play together?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2