MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet MX2040 Mixer Processor Kit Build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Blacet MX2040 Mixer Processor Kit Build
Kwote
http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com/2008/07/blacet-research-mx2040-mixer-pr ocessor.html

nother bun out the oven!
johnnymad
i built that one about a month ago. it's come in handy so far. i'm going to build the I/O as soon as I order it.
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
i built that one about a month ago. it's come in handy so far. i'm going to build the I/O as soon as I order it.

the I/O was one of my first 3 modules. but back then i wasn't messin with kits. I'll be getting a 2nd as a kit for sure though. and 2nd MX kit while i'm at it. and probably a 3rd and 4th MX too. w00t
Muff Wiggler
hey nice work! that was a good read, thanks!
johnnymad
i've got two modules to build ahead of the I/O, and then my first modular is officially "done." applause
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
hey nice work! that was a good read, thanks!

right on man. my goal with the blog thing is to try and document as many modules possible as almost a bonus to any regular documentation that goes along with whatever folks are building. as i personally love collecting any and all info i can.

and in doing this trying to keep things fresh as there is a ton of room for redundancy. this isn't necessarily hard to do as i have personal experiences that i can relate to the reader that they may or may not have when building.

of course i'm still in the early stages, so many modules down the line i'm sure the blog will get more challenging. but then i think i'll be taking on tougher and tougher projects so it should all balance out.
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
i've got two modules to build ahead of the I/O, and then my first modular is officially "done." applause

you mean one full frac rack? or more?

you know the drill around here? pics or stfu. Coffee Addiction FTW
johnnymad
Kwote wrote:

i know. confused i can't find my digital camera. very frustrating my synth is in a homemade case. 9 mfos modules, 1 cgs, and 2 blacets.
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
Kwote wrote:

i know. confused i can't find my digital camera. very frustrating my synth is in a homemade case. 9 mfos modules, 1 cgs, and 2 blacets.

sounds cool. now that my eyes are opening up to thomas henry i'm starting to think about mfos a bit too.

which modules did you build?
johnnymad
3 vcos
1 dual ar generator
1 state variable filter
1 low pass filter
1 dual vca
1 sample and hold
1 noise cornucopia (not yet completed)
Cybananna
looks good kwote. SlayerBadger! I haven't decided if i'm going to get it yet. i'd like to hear your thoughts and how you use it. I already have mixers and CV processors so I may not need it. if it has some nice tricks though I may get it for a few tricks and the fun of building Blacet kits. hyper
Roycie Roller
I really enjoyed the blog Kwote. Great photos, really descriptive, and some very handy tips. It'll be great to see the blog fill up with your future builds- the SN-Voice i'm really looking forward to.
What's the technique for securing the pcb to the faceplate? Did you have a photo of that step?
Now i really look forward to buying some Blacet kits. They are such great value. I wonder- how hard would the Mini-Wave be to DIY, & how many Eproms can you fit on the pcb (or do you need a daughterboard)?
p.s. I also enjoyed Muff's power supply thread but it scared the shit outa me & i don't think i'll be trying it out anytime soon!
felix
Yeah keep it up. The most recent post *almost* made me order up a frack rack. Almost. hihi
eyehue
great blog, Kwote! keep it up!

and definitely, MFOS and Thomas Henry stuff is great.

the MFOS Weird Sound Generator sits on top of my modular next to my Baby Ten Sequencer. The WSG is a great ambient accompaniment (or noisy accompaniment) to the modular and I did a few mods for a lil vactrol style CV control.

Thomas Henry 566 VCO is one of my favs, it's up there with the Blacet VCO. i have an SN Voice PCB waiting to be built.
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
looks good kwote. SlayerBadger! I haven't decided if i'm going to get it yet. i'd like to hear your thoughts and how you use it. I already have mixers and CV processors so I may not need it. if it has some nice tricks though I may get it for a few tricks and the fun of building Blacet kits. hyper

so far i only have the bananalogue 3p to A/B it with. but i'll say i immediately like the Blacet Mixer better! for two important reasons. the trimmers on the pcb allow you to get basically dead center on each control knob. the pots have a little indent in the 0 position so that it stops right there. you can get really exact 0 settings in this regard.

and the LED's!! so freakin useful for knowing what's going on. if it's truly zeroed they'll be completely off. and feeding stuff like lfo's you can monitor the +/- swing(tracks the rate perfectly).

finally the extra channel. the 3p just has the 3 ins. i figured with blacet having 4 why not normal em all together but after awhile of messin with synthesis i actually think i prefer for it to be separate.

originally i had planned on getting 19" rack attens. but what i realized is the attens won't be necessary as i'll eventually have a ton of vca's and mixers.
consumed
those +/- leds on the mixerprocessor are really cool for seeing whats going on in your modular, whenever you're wondering what your voltages are doing. you know, the blacet bar graph would be excellent for this too...in fact, i should probably pick one up. seeing leds jumping around is a whole lot funner than wiring up the DMM.
Kwote
Roycie Roller wrote:
I really enjoyed the blog Kwote. Great photos, really descriptive, and some very handy tips. It'll be great to see the blog fill up with your future builds- the SN-Voice i'm really looking forward to.
What's the technique for securing the pcb to the faceplate? Did you have a photo of that step?
Now i really look forward to buying some Blacet kits. They are such great value. I wonder- how hard would the Mini-Wave be to DIY, & how many Eproms can you fit on the pcb (or do you need a daughterboard)?
p.s. I also enjoyed Muff's power supply thread but it scared the shit outa me & i don't think i'll be trying it out anytime soon!

the Blacet kits have all pots soldered directly on the pcb. just solder em on the board and screw on the faceplate. simple.

the only wiring required is for the jacks and switches if any.
some of the newer kits have an extra pcb for the jacks too like the window comparator(no flying wires!).

for the SN Voice and the Dual Chime i'm gonna have to use screws and brackets. it was very challenging finding small enough brackets to get the job done but i found em. i measured the pcb mount holes and added two holes(the size of the rack mount holes) on my DC panel design. i'll be sending it out to FPE within the next day or two. I think the SN Voice will be more challenging as there are lots more pots and jacks so i'll be toying with that idea for a bit. just not sure where i'll mount it yet.

the mini-wave should be cool. but the kit is out of stock. i know because it wasn't listed as such a couple months back and when i ordered it John immediately informed me they had run out. so that was cancelled and i'm just waiting for them to be back. there are two sockets so you can have two ROMS in house. if you want more you'll need the expander from David Hylander.
Kwote
eyehue wrote:
i have an SN Voice PCB waiting to be built.

my two SN Voice pcb's arrived yesterday. have you sourced the parts yet? i haven't had time to get it together yet but maybe we should start a thread with links to all the components to ease things a bit.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
those +/- leds on the mixerprocessor are really cool for seeing whats going on in your modular, whenever you're wondering what your voltages are doing. you know, the blacet bar graph would be excellent for this too...in fact, i should probably pick one up. seeing leds jumping around is a whole lot funner than wiring up the DMM.

totally. i'm gonna grab two bar graphs sometime soon. i really would love to see the +/-10v in action. the led's on the mixer are pretty accurate but don't have numbers to accompany them so the scanner wins out in this regard.

i was so uptight about getting them before but at this point i can't front.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1