MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel suitcase?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Easel suitcase?
misa
sorry, I just know that this topic must have been discussed, but I am oblivious to the right words to search for:

I am looking for a suitcase to fit my 208r easel and a second boat (for a 216r) into. Can anyone recommend something? I came across a fitting suitcase (a Halliburton Zero, cheap on ebay), but the lid doesn't come off and while everything fits, the case is too large like a suit two sizes up...

so any pointers to the fitting Halliburton, recommendations or something similar (a link to the thread? wink would be very helpful!
angora
Could you maybe fit some DIY components in the oversized case with the 208r like our hero Charles Cohen?

mccolalx
I built a frame for my 208r and about 82hp of euro that fits into a Pelican 1550 case. You would need the 1550PF frame that screws into the Pelican case, and then mount the aluminum frame to it.
Two 4U Buchla rows wouldn't fit, but the Buchla and Euro combination fit perfectly...and allows for some interesting combinations.
If you're interested, I can send you measurements and better photos.

sascha.victoria
http://store.sierracases.com/ZERO-Centurion-706X-Aluminum-Carrying-Cas e.html
solaris
sascha.victoria wrote:
http://store.sierracases.com/ZERO-Centurion-706X-Aluminum-Carrying-Cas e.html

ah, I have been looking at that one, but IMHO 21" is too big, you'll need to put (actually, build) a cumbersome frame to keep the boats in place, and it's not carry-on (fwiw).
a shame...
misa
thanks for the pointers and links everyone.

here are some findings for future reference:

There is one type of Halliburton cases (the Centurion Elite 700x series) that has the detachable lid.

it's also possible to attach little screwmounts to these, to attach any kind of panel inside the case (both parts of the shell). These screw/panelmounts don't seem to be available for the other Zero suitcases (like for mine).

An Easel (two boats, one for the 208, one for a 218 or 216, both are 4 x 4U) is about 17.1 x 14.1 x 3 inches (plus knobs and (stacked cables) (that's about 43.4 x 35.6 x 7.5 in cm) (these are the 208r Rev 2 boats, which are a bit higher than the 200e boats)

So the 21 x 17 x 7.5 Halliburton zero that is widely available on ebay for about $40-$90 would fit (with some space to put DIY, cables or good luck charms), but you can't take the lid off -- unless you mod it (or have it modded for you)...
angora
Looks like the 713x would be exactly what you are looking for if I didn't miss something.

http://www.casesbysource.com/product/centurion-elite-case-713x-zr-713x

It also looks like you could bump up to the 709x at 26 inches wide and get 2U of extra modules in there with the 208 and 218. It would be really nice to have a 257r sitting next to your 208!

http://www.casesbysource.com/product/centurion-elite-case-709x-zr-709x

Are you going to have your lid modded, or do you think you are going to get a700x case? I'm interested in what you decide to do and how it works out. I'd love to "upgrade" the easel case to 5U wide.
ws9848
how much do you think the bemi easel ones would be worth if I had one or wanted to buy one without the modules?
solaris
ws9848 wrote:
how much do you think the bemi easel ones would be worth if I had one or wanted to buy one without the modules?

does BEMI actually sell the suitcase alone?
yes I did wrote to them but...
alka
I purchased a 21 x 17 Centurion aluminum case off ebay for $50... fits great for me as I wanted a little storage room on the side. I did need to add my own detachable hinges however for the lid...

I like the space on the left (which was originally used for the Music Easel's power supply) to store/carry a bag of bananas, adapters, program cards, etc. A small marshall amp also fits perfectly in the space.
solaris
hi alka,
thanks for the suggestion, I already saw your very nice suitcase :-)
and I have a custom one by mr. weedywhizz...

but I really want to know if someone knows if BEMI sells the suitcase
alone.
ttown23
solaris wrote:

but I really want to know if someone knows if BEMI sells the suitcase
alone.

According to my 'knowledge', no
divisionbyzero
zero halliburton still makes the cases that were initially used for the easel. i went in on a group order a few years ago and with the help of someone who knows metalworking managed to get a close replica of the original (still have to get the little leather trim to fill the gaps):

i have an email somewhere with the exact model number and color code, i'll try to dig it up.
misa
hi /0,

that looks really nice. Please dig up that e-mail.

How are the boats attached to the bottom of the case?

Did the case from the groupbuy come with the power supply?
captnapalm
misa wrote:
hi /0,

that looks really nice. Please dig up that e-mail.

How are the boats attached to the bottom of the case?

Did the case from the groupbuy come with the power supply?

Jason Butcher had this batch made, along with the very nice panels and the power supplies. I had Zero make a couple of these cases several years back too. They're very expensive. I imagine even if you got a run of 20+ they'd be over 1k each for the empty cases alone.

The panel and the boats all screw in to the case via countersunk screws from the outside, just like the originals did.
BHC303
divisionbyzero Nice SlayerBadger!
boops
Just mounted this ,in a zero case 21 x17 ,works great ,i sell 400 eu the complete kit ready and easy to install :2x 4u powered 200e upgrade psu ,200 r (without the zero case ,easy to find on eBay),with aone distro and window hole for dc dc connection via 10 edge pins connector

outoff
boops wrote:
without the zero case ,easy to find on eBay

any trick to find zero with removable lid as yours?
thanks

s
captnapalm
outoff wrote:
boops wrote:
without the zero case ,easy to find on eBay

any trick to find zero with removable lid as yours?
thanks

s

You can drill out the rivets on the original hinge and replace it with removable hinges. That's what I'm doing for the cases I'm building.
outoff
captnapalm wrote:
You can drill out the rivets on the original hinge and replace it with removable hinges. That's what I'm doing for the cases I'm building.

thanks, but there is plenty of rivets !
I'd prefer to find one instead of...
captnapalm
outoff wrote:
captnapalm wrote:

thanks, but there is plenty of rivets !
I'd prefer to find one instead of...

I've been looking on eBay and Craigslist at these cases for almost a year now and I've never seen another one this size that came with removable hinges. It will be tough to find.
outoff
captnapalm wrote:

I've been looking on eBay and Craigslist at these cases for almost a year now and I've never seen another one this size that came with removable hinges. It will be tough to find.

yep, but boops did ! hey boops, tell us the secret !
papz
What secret ? You simply have to replace the hinges meh
outoff
papz wrote:
What secret ? You simply have to replace the hinges meh

hey guys, did you seen boops pic above ? there is no holes from old rivets
papz
Indeed, ZH cases use to have a long piano hinge when the lid is not removable.
Boops' pictured one is likely a unit with removable lid from the factory.
But similar hinges are available.
Or you can modify the existing piano hinge to make the lid removable, as I did on mine : https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1987912&highlight=#1 987912
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4