MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make me care about [or at least respect] prog rock.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Make me care about [or at least respect] prog rock.
JohnLRice
I recently got the Haken album The Mountain, thanks to sduck, and it's great! I love it all, especially the track sduck posted, Pareidolia, and the track Somebody! I keep playing Somebody over and over again and to me it's like one of those tracks that I can't play too loud! SlayerBadger! Om SlayerBadger! It's simple, beautiful and grandiose, like if maybe Genesis and Gentle Giant were commissioned together to write music for an epic James Bond movie? hihi

Some other relatively newer bands/albums I've gotten into lately:

MoeTar
Amazing musicianship but maybe a little too much at times? Especially when listening to the whole album start to finish. It's growing on me but I'm not always in the mood for it. Here's a couple of my favorites:

Entropy Of The Century

Regression To The Mean

Opeth
wow, it's like a totally different sound than I expected from them! I LOVE their Black Water Park album but it is really heavy somewhat progish death metal with about 75% growly vocals and 25% clean. Their newest stuff though could almost be prog rock from the 70's . . .except the punchy and clean recording sounds very modern. I love it too, just hard to think of them as the same band. Here's a couple of my favorites:

Voice of Treason

Opeth - Faith In Others

Fates Warning
A great prog metal band that has been around since the early 80's and are still producing quality output!

From The Rooftops

The Ghosts Of Home

Neal Morse
All star prog musicians, all top notch! Three lead singers, Mike Portnoy on drums, etc, etc I love the compositions even though sometimes the influences are fairly obvious, like bits of Yes, Toy Matinee, Styx, King's X, Dream Theater etc here and there, not that it's a bad thing! ;-)

The Call

Alive Again
sduck
you necrobumper you

I had forgotten about this thread. Much fun!

Yes, Neal Morse totally rocks - remember old Spock's Beard? That was his band until he pulled a Peter Gabriel and left (was replaced by their drummer Phil.. no I mean Nick) to do christian stuff. He's local to me, and we have several mutual friends, and have talked on the phone a few times. He comes to symphony concerts quite often - sits near the front on the cello side. Odd fact - he hired me to play cello/guitar/keys on one of his tours, but I had one of those weird life moments where something intervenes and you can't. Or my wife said no, I can't remember which...
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
you necrobumper you

Yes, Neal Morse totally rocks - remember old Spock's Beard? That was his band until he pulled a Peter Gabriel and left (was replaced by their drummer Phil.. no I mean Nick) to do christian stuff. He's local to me, and we have several mutual friends, and have talked on the phone a few times. He comes to symphony concerts quite often - sits near the front on the cello side. Odd fact - he hired me to play cello/guitar/keys on one of his tours, but I had one of those weird life moments where something intervenes and you can't. Or my wife said no, I can't remember which...
hehe, So I was recently falling in love with Haken and I decided to search Muff's artist section to see if there was a thread. I found this thread and then was reminded of how i found out about them in the first place, it was YOU! lol thanks! Hug

And yeah, I knew he was from Spock's Beard and Liquid Tension Experiment etc. I even saw him live many years ago in a Seattle club (also on the bill was Fish from Marillion . . must have been a solo band after he left Marillion ?)

Tell Neal if you talk to him that some old prog rock dude you know who likes modular synths loves his music. Cheesy!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I'm glad this thread is back as well.

Hey JLR, I really liked all the stuff you posted. Especially MoeTar -- I'm going to check them out for sure. That music is more scarily technical than I usually listen to -- the guitar player scares me he's so good. I could never figure out how to practice to be able to play the same thing twice perfectly, and to base an entire song on those intricate picking patterns seems insane to me (I thought Fripp was the only insane one in that regard, and I gotta say that he fluffed quite a few of his lines when I saw King Crimson live last year).

On the last page, I really liked that My Brother the Wind track. In fact, I liked it so much I am now downloading all three of their CDs.
zedius
Gonna have some fun digging through this thread and try to gain a better respect for prog myself, as it's always grated on me.

However, I'd like to share Thought Industry's prog metal album Songs for Insects. I purchased it on a whim and was blown away. Basically nobody has ever heard of this and it's a real damn shame.

Produced by Dave Rave in 1992, if that's of interest to anyone. One of these guys went on to form I Am Spoonbender.

[/video]
ioaek
ever wonder what Kitaro was up to before he got into new age?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
So, I went back and read this entire thread. I made a critical comment that one of the Gentle Giant tracks sounded like the renaissance faire to me.

Well, on the way home from work tonight, I remembered that there is an absolutely awesome prog track which I characterize as "rock goes to the renaissance faire." So, I thought I'd share it with y'all.

Here is one of Jethro Tull's greatest tracks, from their classic Songs From the Wood album, "Velvet Green"...

This song tells the story of a wench who is seduced by a young stud, swept off on horseback to a beautiful place in the country, and then rudely used and left to make her way back home on foot.
sduck
Songs From The Wood is great! One of their classic albums.

Here's one I've been fascinated by recently. The whole album, not just this song. Hard to pigeonhole, as they pull strands from dozens of styles. Kind of reminds me of Echolyn often. And they're from Minneapolis!

Get the whole thing here - https://bubblemath.bandcamp.com
neandrewthal
sduck wrote:
you necrobumper you

Do you like Nick D'Virgilio? I've been a big Spock's Beard fan ever since the release of their 2003 album, Feel Euphoria. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Feel Euphoria where, uh, Nick D'Virgilio's presence became more apparent. I think X was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums
MindMachine

dubonaire
sduck wrote:
Songs From The Wood is great! One of their classic albums

Songs from the wood make you feel much better, much better than you could know.
dubonaire
MindMachine wrote:

Saw these guys live in 1980.
nigel
Don't think these guys have been mentioned yet. I only really know their "MIND Volume 1" album, but I love it. Some wonderful Zappa-style guitar and tuned percussion, among other things.

Bataserpa
Van Der Graaf Generator and Peter Hammill solo albums are great, specially the most experimental ones from PH (Loops and Reels, Ph7, Black Box, Nadir's Big Chance, etc.).
In my opinion, he is also one of the best vocalists around.

https://youtu.be/ump0-RiGSlM
sduck
Isuldurs Bane is great! Not all their efforts are as nice as this one though. This album and this particular track are classics of the chamber rock sub-genre.

I have version of this track where a friend mash-uped (is that word?) this track into a Frank Zappa tune - Dupree's Paradise maybe, or something similar - he found a connecting marimba part, and joined them there, and it takes a while to even notice what happened.
leeski
hihi hihi hihi
leeski

JohnLRice
How about a new year necro bump? zombie Bump! zombie

Farmers Market is an awesome group of top musicians, sort of Middle Eastern Progressive Folk Fusion?

Slav To The Rhythm is their most "typically progressive" album I think, here's a couple from it:

But THIS one may require your third cup of coffee to keep up with! eek! hihi
medium Rob
https://youtu.be/DrTV7eP3Id8
https://youtu.be/sv78Eulq79M

How about US Maple... one of the greatest rock bands of the 90s.
senecio
medium Rob wrote:
https://youtu.be/DrTV7eP3Id8
https://youtu.be/sv78Eulq79M

How about US Maple... one of the greatest rock bands of the 90s.

Todd Rittmann was my studio-mate in art school for a while. He taught me to play the guitar by showing me the blues scale in E (its all I’ve ever needed to know) These guys were something to behold live! Really theatrically bizarre on stage and very talented.
senecio

As far as Prog, what’s not to like about this gem?
m0n0mania
dubonaire
m0n0mania wrote:

One cymbal for each member of the audience.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I was listening to that Guapo track at work today, and digging it.
Homepage Englisch
Another prog rock fan here. I love many of it's subgenres - prog term nowadays is so wide it's almost meaningless- I love unconventional music, complexity, but not complexity for the sake of it. As I'm getting older, I appreciate more a key factor in good music: honesty. It doesn't matter if it's a simple folk tune or a concerto in 11/8.1

Prog is not for everybody, but there's so many subgenres and local flavors to explore: from bossa nova influenced A Barca do Sol, andean Los Jaivas, French theatrical prog of Ange and Atoll, massive and absolutely beautiful Italian scene, avangarde Czech rock, Balkan fusion of Leb i Sol, German not-only-krautrock Grobscnitt, demonic folk ululations of Comus, bizarre avangarde of Höyry-Köne from Finland, simplistic Curved Air, modern Japanese rock of Interpose+, post rock, math rock, scene from Quebec, Düsseldorf, Reykyavik, avant post metal of Kayo Dot, fusion with jazz, with all kinds of electronica, with chamber music, with cabaret. There are a few modular synths thrown in for a good measure too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 5 of 6