MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

suggestions for a noise rack(euro)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author suggestions for a noise rack(euro)?
AR126
my budget will be $500-$700(maybe more)
i've been experimenting w/noise generators latley(pink and brown,
mostly)and getting some pretty cool results.
however,it's all been online generators or plugins and i'd like
to have a hardware set-up.
i was thinking a gozinta and a few noise modules...
just an idea...
thanks
thrasumachos
hexinveter's vcNOIZ is just about as noisy as they come
AR126
thanks,
will check it out directly
thrasumachos
check out his jupiter storm and galilean moon modules too, really excellent noise (and modulation, in the case of the moons) sources
AR126
o.k,tentatively,i was was considering gozinta>vcnoiz>jupiter storm...
what's a good rack,and do you just plug the modules into the power
source?
thanks
thrasumachos
Those are all good starting modules, especially for a noise set up. I would honestly suggest the doepfer a-119 over the gozinta, because you can use it for really gnarly feedback. maybe you can do this with a gozinta, but I haven't played with one so I don't know for sure. yeah you should have some sort of cable or distro board to plug the modules into. For something small starting out I know a lot of people like to go with tip top's happy ending kit.
AR126
Hi T,thanks for the feedback.
i was thinking of the gozinta because of a demo i saw w/it and the harvestman piston honda.
an a-119 sounds like a good suggestion though...
what i'm really after is something heavy and crushing,so i could
be completely off-base all around.
as far as a case goes,the happy ending was,in fact, what i was considering.
thanks much A
thrasumachos
the gozinta is something you would want if you wanted to bring in an external sound source like an ipod or laptop into your modular stuff, but it's really just an amplifier to driving it hard will distort. the bonus of the a-119 is that it gives you two outputs on a single input, great for creating a feedback loop. If you're after really crazy distortion (and the piston honda is really crazy on its own) look into something like the ryo optodist (really pretty easy to DIY, even as a first project) or the malgorithm, plague bearer, doepfer a-189 bit modifier, or all of the above!
Orbless
Look into the trogotronic stuff as well, I believe you can get them as diy kits as well to save a few bucks.

I set this up a bit ago as an ideal of a gnarly sort of noise machine.

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/100020
AR126
Thanks again guys!
looks i have to re-research the research(yikes).
i've heard of all these modules,i'm just not familiar w/them.
duh...
long day,so the quest must resume tomorrow...
best A
diasporos
Can't speak highly enough of Trogotronic stuff. I have most of their standalones as a noise setup (though really it's a 'modular') and the thing I can say about their playability and sound is not hyperbolic: they are intuitive, sound really fat, squelchy, inspiring, finger-friendly (button arrays!!) and there's something 'high end' about the quality of the build that I respect. Takes a long time to tame them but it is possible. You can actually make phrases and melodies as well as noise cycles and patterns.
AR126
Whoa,that's really cool!
i mean,i've been checking out warthog demos(like,half an hour ago)
and i thought"this just might do the trick"
i didn't notice any other standalones though(?)
i've been getting much appreciated advice from other MWs
(you guys rule)but for the time being,i think a standalone
would easier on my sanity(lightweight,i know...)
thanks again
(BTW,your signature looks awfully familiar...)
czern
I have finally been making the noise I set out to make when I started building my modular. The main patch that really set it off was when I sent everything thru a self-resonating filter. The A-106-1 to be exact. It burns and crackles in ways I have never heard. I think I got it for like $80 on the BST boards. It's huge but I will probably have trouble separating with it.

Now I am hoping to add some more filters that have their own self-resonant characteristics. This is probably similar to what everyone says about the Plaque Bearer although I haven't heard one yet.
beyourdog
AR126 wrote:
my budget will be $500-$700(maybe more)
i've been experimenting w/noise generators latley(pink and brown,
mostly)and getting some pretty cool results.
however,it's all been online generators or plugins and i'd like
to have a hardware set-up.
i was thinking a gozinta and a few noise modules...
just an idea...
thanks

Get yourself an FM/AM radio fro 10 bucks lol
AR126
Get yourself an FM/AM radio fro 10 bucks lol

tried that,thanks(??)
jshell
Agree on the Trogotronic. I got the new 679 standalone mini synth and it's awesome. Difficult, but awesome. It has the buttons like the Warthog, but also has a tube and CV inputs. I've been having fun pairing it with a Repeater Electronics horn dog.

Dammit, I swear I started getting into Eurorack to stop getting all of these different size boxes and their power adapters.

A new module just came out today: the Pittsburgh Modular 'Collapse'. It's a decimator, but analog. Could be good for really fattening up a sound.

http://pittsburghmodular.com/collapse

And there's also the 4MS eurorack versions of the Atoner and Noise Swash (the Noise Swash being one of my favorite noise pedals; I'm not sure how the eurorack version differs).

I also like the Pittsburgh Cell 48 cases. They're small, and can be good for making smaller standalone noise synths or effects in something that's just a little bit bigger than a MoogerFooger. For me, they fit in my pelican cases alongside all my noise pedals and such, so they fit in a hybrid noise environment. But if you're going to keep things in studio, the Happy Ending Kit is the more versatile beginner option.
AR126
cool,
should be getting the trog 479 on monday.
i'm stoked about the cv inputs and tube...
i have 4 Pittsburgh cell 48 cases(all modules Pittsburgh as well)
anyway,i'm thinking the 479 should be pretty crazy w/the PM system2.
an analog decimator?
gnarly....
DiscarnateEntity
This noise 'oscillator' is really fucking nasty:

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/m-a-s-f-mo-s-model-osc03

Buy it here:

http://masf.figity.com/modular/osc03
AR126
that module is well and truly badass.
i noticed there was standalone version.
no idea if that one's available...
jshell
Saw the MASF Osc03 standalone here:

http://www.tonefactor.com/masf-foot-pedals-s/1877.htm

Haven't found their Eurorack stuff in American stores yet... But I've just started checking. I'd love to have that thing.
AR126
Thanks!
i believe i was on the tonefactor page last,and saw the Osc03
standalone last night...
neverthless,the heads -up is still much appreciated.
gonya
Not really sure what kind of noise you are going for...
but Dwarfcraft just made two modules:
http://www.dwarfcraft.com/synthesizers.html
AR126
thanks for the tip!
any info is appreciated...
@the moment,i got my eye on the MASF osc03.
acidicfeces
I just got the circuit abbey impulse drive and I love it.
It might not be too obvious as a noise companion from the few video demos there are.
It has three "exhaust" outputs that are noisier than their respective comparator outputs.

If you can find a trogotronic m666, grab it!
I'm actually considering a second one.
The m666 needs modulation to really get nasty, though. (up to 9 CV inputs)

I suggest jupiter storm, too.
All its outputs make it a great control center; it's also great as an audio source.

As for utility, multiples are probably important for noise.
AR126
thanks,
i tried posting a reply but it disappeared...
thanks for the info!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3