MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

shopping advice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author shopping advice
22tape
hey guys. putting my shopping list together for my first modular! woohoo!

i need some advice. comments on the sound/quality of the modules below would be greatly appreciated!

a-127 vc resonance filter: clean or dirty?

a-116 voltage controlled waveform processor: what kind of distortion? it's a clipping sort of distortion right? it doesn't sound like digital distortion/clipping does it?

a-124 vcf5 / "wasp" filter: i've read that this is pretty dirty. but how dirty? it doesn't self oscillate....hows it sound with the resonation cranked?

ultimately, i'm looking for the volatile effects....effects that need to be tamed....that are not neccesarily easy to tweak, but once you hit the sweet spot we're not worthy

what are your favs?

thanks guys. this is gonna be great love
22tape
oh yeah, howabout that doepfer spring reverb? i've read that it's a little tame. anyone get really nice springy-ness? are there no other reverb modules out there?

thanks!
Muff Wiggler
sorry to say, i have no experience with Doepfer modules! but I'm sure some of the other guys will be able to give you some info

good luck! so much fun putting together your first modules 8)
22tape
cool, thanks muff! and thanks, too, for maintaining such a great forum!
spbaker
well heres my thoughts on a few of those (keeping in mind i'm pretty new to all of this modular stuff too)-

the A199 is anything but tame- its important to know that you can swap the tank with other tanks like accutronics brand, so if the small one that comes with it is too tame then grab a nice 19" one and hook it up, i remember reading somewhere that someone had built a switching system between a few diff tanks for changing them on the fly. the other fun thing on this module is the feedback send and return allowing you to further process it thru distortion, filters whatever, then into a vca for gating purposes, the fun never ends! i hd it recently going thru a Plan B Dual Timbral gate VC with a light to CV module so i can hold the gate open until just that point where the feedback gets almost too much and release it.

i'm a bit torn over the A116- i was really hoping it would be a fairly strong type of distortion but it is far from it- yes it does clip the signal to rough it up a bit, and the symmetry control enhances this- but it ain't rip your face off nasty.... i've had some interesting results processing CV signals with it tho, i'd also be keen to hear how other peeps are using this module, maybe i'm missing something with it??

i don't have a wasp filter but i know there is a mod for it to make it self oscillate if that what you want.

if you are looking for aggressive filters try the elby synthacon panther series, its resonance is over the top and has a trimpot to add more or less, another filter to look at is the A106-1 Xtreme filter
Muff Wiggler
22tape wrote:
thanks, too, for maintaining such a great forum!


believe me that it's an absolute pleasure! thanks for being a member!! 8)
felix
spbaker wrote:
well heres my thoughts on a few of those (keeping in mind i'm pretty new to all of this modular stuff too)-

the A199 is anything but tame- its important to know that you can swap the tank with other tanks like accutronics brand, so if the small one that comes with it is too tame then grab a nice 19" one and hook it up, i remember reading somewhere that someone had built a switching system between a few diff tanks for changing them on the fly. the other fun thing on this module is the feedback send and return allowing you to further process it thru distortion, filters whatever, then into a vca for gating purposes, the fun never ends! i hd it recently going thru a Plan B Dual Timbral gate VC with a light to CV module so i can hold the gate open until just that point where the feedback gets almost too much and release it.

i'm a bit torn over the A116- i was really hoping it would be a fairly strong type of distortion but it is far from it- yes it does clip the signal to rough it up a bit, and the symmetry control enhances this- but it ain't rip your face off nasty.... i've had some interesting results processing CV signals with it tho, i'd also be keen to hear how other peeps are using this module, maybe i'm missing something with it??

i don't have a wasp filter but i know there is a mod for it to make it self oscillate if that what you want.

if you are looking for aggressive filters try the elby synthacon panther series, its resonance is over the top and has a trimpot to add more or less, another filter to look at is the A106-1 Xtreme filter

I second everything spbaker said. I don't actually own any of those, but I've played with them all. The A-199 reverb is a lot of fun, I've got that one on my list for sure.

For filters, I would also suggest the A-106-1 Xtreme Filter, or the Harvestman Polivoks. They are both pretty dirty, the Polivoks more-so, if memory serves, so it would really depend on what types of filter modes you want. The Polivoks has both BP and LP outs, where as the Xtreme has an additional HP out.
D/A A/D
The A-116 is not really for distortion, in my setup it has 2 purposes:

a) To wave shape CV signals, you can do some REALLY cool things with asymmetrical and/or squished control waveforms.

b) To ever so slightly change the beating within a drone, by changing the symmetry of the waveforms

For distortion get yourself a Plan B Model 25, you won't regret it...

The a-124 does not self oscillate without modification, but it does have some SNARLY raunchy distortion... However the IC's used are digital chips. For really intense raw filtering I give another vote for the Harvestman Polivoks, I don't own one but everyone I know who does loves the fuck right out of it... Plus the clips I have heard are in the ballpark of what your looking for. Other than that there is the Plan B Evil Twin bandpass filter, which I hear is a wildcat on PSP...

FMing oscillators with noise is another way to make your shit sound like its dieing... Thats good fun.

Alex
Cybananna
I'm another with no experience with the modules you're looking at but I can recommend the Polyvoks filter. I have it and use it all the time. I'ts a great filter for what you seem to be looking for. I use it a lot and have several other filters. It's definately dirtier and more unstable.
22tape
great advice, thanks spbaker. so i've looked and listened to as much as i can... i think the extreme filter is most up my alley...i love the almost 'broken' sounds you can get out of it. actually, i only heard the one on youtube...the one with the key pushing it with an 808. does anyone else have any clips of the a106?

sold on the a199.

thanks again!

that's what i was afraid of with the a116...i was kinda hoping it was rip your face off nasty! that void will be filled by the a106.

spbaker wrote:
well heres my thoughts on a few of those (keeping in mind i'm pretty new to all of this modular stuff too)-

the A199 is anything but tame- its important to know that you can swap the tank with other tanks like accutronics brand, so if the small one that comes with it is too tame then grab a nice 19" one and hook it up, i remember reading somewhere that someone had built a switching system between a few diff tanks for changing them on the fly. the other fun thing on this module is the feedback send and return allowing you to further process it thru distortion, filters whatever, then into a vca for gating purposes, the fun never ends! i hd it recently going thru a Plan B Dual Timbral gate VC with a light to CV module so i can hold the gate open until just that point where the feedback gets almost too much and release it.

i'm a bit torn over the A116- i was really hoping it would be a fairly strong type of distortion but it is far from it- yes it does clip the signal to rough it up a bit, and the symmetry control enhances this- but it ain't rip your face off nasty.... i've had some interesting results processing CV signals with it tho, i'd also be keen to hear how other peeps are using this module, maybe i'm missing something with it??

i don't have a wasp filter but i know there is a mod for it to make it self oscillate if that what you want.

if you are looking for aggressive filters try the elby synthacon panther series, its resonance is over the top and has a trimpot to add more or less, another filter to look at is the A106-1 Xtreme filter
22tape
well, i'd love to hear more clips of the polivoks before i buy the a106...anyone? hyper

thanks.


Cybananna wrote:
I'm another with no experience with the modules you're looking at but I can recommend the Polyvoks filter. I have it and use it all the time. I'ts a great filter for what you seem to be looking for. I use it a lot and have several other filters. It's definately dirtier and more unstable.
22tape
thanks felix and ad/da for chiming in!
D/A A/D
**cough** I have a a-116 for sale **cough**
Cybananna
22tape wrote:
well, i'd love to hear more clips of the polivoks before i buy the a106...anyone? hyper

thanks.


Cybananna wrote:
I'm another with no experience with the modules you're looking at but I can recommend the Polyvoks filter. I have it and use it all the time. I'ts a great filter for what you seem to be looking for. I use it a lot and have several other filters. It's definately dirtier and more unstable.


I just saw this post and it's getting late here. I'll try to do it tomorrow. Hopefully someone else can do some too to get some more variation in use.
22tape
fantastic, thanks.

Cybananna wrote:
22tape wrote:
well, i'd love to hear more clips of the polivoks before i buy the a106...anyone? hyper

thanks.


Cybananna wrote:
I'm another with no experience with the modules you're looking at but I can recommend the Polyvoks filter. I have it and use it all the time. I'ts a great filter for what you seem to be looking for. I use it a lot and have several other filters. It's definately dirtier and more unstable.


I just saw this post and it's getting late here. I'll try to do it tomorrow. Hopefully someone else can do some too to get some more variation in use.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group