MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Japanese Girl pedal..?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Japanese Girl pedal..?!
dkcg
I would think Metasonix would be all over this pedal.

Could maybe cover some Polysics songs with it. Rockin' Banana!
Hainbach
That's the Pocket Miku in a pedal? Funky!
LoFi Junglist
I'm sure there's a completely legit reason for spending hours to Code that...

ndkent
First time seeing it but "Miku" refers to Hatsune Miku, the virtual pop star who spawned a million home made online videos and full scale concerts.

Strange parentage. Hatsune Miku is Windows software and a character by a sample library maker Crypton run on Yamaha's Vocaloid software engine.

Gakken, the magazine publisher who made that SX-150 analog mini stylus synth a few years ago (that surely gave Korg the idea to make their Monotron) made a new product, the NSX-39 "Pocket Miku". It's a stylus + USB operated mini synth containing a limited version of Miku on an IC chip. So I'm 99% sure this has to be another use of that chip. I bet the chip will show up in toys before long. That makes me wonder if Yamaha's name is on the chip. I've not actually seen a photo inside the Gakken Pocket Miku. Because it would be weird to see a Korg pedal run on a Yamaha chip... maybe the chip is branded Crypton?

The Gakken Pocket Miku lets you back the singing with a GeneralMIDI type synth accessed by USB MIDI. Since there is a synth track in the video, I'd guess the synth is also coming out of the pedal... though I don't see a USB cable in the video... so I'm just speculating here.

Cool idea, but presumably this being the first generation speech chip, the words are very limited in terms of count. The Pocket Miku instrument has USB so you can do a link and upload phrases. This Korg doesn't show a USB in the video though I see "phrase 1" "phrase 2" etc which smell like user banks. So I guess they are just not showing a mini USB connector in the video. My guess is maybe next year or later they will do a next gen chip that has less limitations. I guess as a pedal now it's either going to inspire creativity through limitations or be an annoying novelty the next time you hear it not creatively.

Ginko
LoFi Junglist wrote:
I'm sure there's a completely legit reason for spending hours to Code that...

hihi hihi hihi
Ginko
ndkent wrote:
First time seeing it but "Miku" refers to Hatsune Miku, the virtual pop star who spawned a million home made online videos and full scale concerts.

Strange parentage. Hatsune Miku is Windows software and a character by a sample library maker Crypton run on Yamaha's Vocaloid software engine.

Gakken, the magazine publisher who made that SX-150 analog mini stylus synth a few years ago (that surely gave Korg the idea to make their Monotron) made a new product, the NSX-39 "Pocket Miku". It's a stylus + USB operated mini synth containing a limited version of Miku on an IC chip. So I'm 99% sure this has to be another use of that chip. I bet the chip will show up in toys before long. That makes me wonder if Yamaha's name is on the chip. I've not actually seen a photo inside the Gakken Pocket Miku. Because it would be weird to see a Korg pedal run on a Yamaha chip... maybe the chip is branded Crypton?

Cool idea, but presumably this being the first generation speech chip, the words are very limited in terms of count. The Pocket Miku instrument has USB so you can do a link and upload phrases. This Korg doesn't show a USB in the video though I see "phrase 1" "phrase 2" etc which smell like user banks. So I guess they are just not showing a mini USB connector in the video. My guess is maybe next year or later they will do a next gen chip that has less limitations. I guess as a pedal now it's either going to inspire creativity through limitations or be an annoying novelty the next time you hear it not creatively.

If there is such a chip, I would love to have one to hack!!
PrimateSynthesis
Where do I stick my penis? hmmm.....
ndkent
The Gakken NSX-39 "Pocket Miku" is widely available and probably cheaper and quicker to get than the yet to be released korg stomp to get one to hack (or signing some dev deal with Crypton and perhaps also Yamaha)-

the Gakken unit is basically under $50 in japan though you'll generally pay about $20 to either import it or ship it (=$70)

http://www.amazon.com/KEYBOAD-POCKET-OTONANO-KAGAKU-MAGAZINE/dp/405750 4656/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409595989&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=NSX -39+%22Pocket+Miku%22

Now I don't know 100% that Korg is using the chip in the Gakken UTAU NSX-39 thing, but I would think that if someone is going to fab an IC chip it's going to be in other stuff (the korg pedal, I'd bet some interactive toys are in the works). Korg is surely doing curcuitry to support the chip like some kind of pitch tracker and trigger and surely other details fwiw.
moremagic
i want to get one of these to play with it in a feedback loop
i imagine itd be a real trip
IR
ndkent wrote:
Because it would be weird to see a Korg pedal run on a Yamaha chip...

The Korg 707 had Yamaha FM chips, both companies had common ownership, I don't know how it is now.
ndkent
IR wrote:
ndkent wrote:
Because it would be weird to see a Korg pedal run on a Yamaha chip...

The Korg 707 had Yamaha FM chips, both companies had common ownership, I don't know how it is now.

My understanding was in the 80s Yamaha owned a substantial percent of Korg so they got their 4 op FM technology to work with (though not their flagship tech) - anyway I'm too lazy to pry open the Gakken unit but inside there is supposedly a combined GeneralMIDI and simplified MIKU realtime synth on a chip. You get the general MIDI so the singing could be in sync with sequenced music or just acapella.

Anyway as to feedback, at best it might be glitchy. This unit surely isn't waveshaping the guitar sound and turning it into a voice, what it looks like it's doing is pitch and gate tracking and replacing it with the next phoneme in a loaded sequence. So like you'd have the phonetics to a song and then if you play it, each phonem will come out in sequence as you play the melody live... hopefully - unless you mess up
davydka
This was an excellently written response. Thank you.

ndkent wrote:
First time seeing it but "Miku" refers to Hatsune Miku, the
virtual pop star who spawned a million home made online videos and full scale concerts.

The Gakken Pocket Miku lets you back the singing with a GeneralMIDI type synth accessed by USB MIDI. Since there is a synth track in the video, I'd guess the synth is also coming out of the pedal... though I don't see a USB cable in the video... so I'm just speculating here.

Acsii
ndkent wrote:

That video is mint
alternating.bit
Since the pedal is rather limited (and the fact that you have to do some deep translation code via an iPhone app to load your own phrases), how different would it be if you just sampled the few tones somehow into a Phonogene vs buying the pedal?
ndkent
alternating.bit wrote:
Since the pedal is rather limited (and the fact that you have to do some deep translation code via an iPhone app to load your own phrases), how different would it be if you just sampled the few tones somehow into a Phonogene vs buying the pedal?

Do we actually have more specs on the Korg pedal, I've not been following? Anyway there will be when it hits the streets in Japan.

The thing in the video with the eurorack is the Gakken UTAU NSX-39 Pocket Miku that I'm pretty sure has the same engine - I just grabbed that because it had eurorack in it. There must be hundreds of videos on the Pocket Miku mini synth that came out earlier this year.

So as to the question, that video doesn't have anything complicated with phonetics I'd say the real thing has (I think) a 64 step phonem sequence you are pitching in realtime. That's really not anything a commercial sampler seems to do unless you program something elaborate in Reaktor or Max or something.

Here is a good example of what I mean by sequencing phonems that would be not something easily done with a sampler, and is a cover of a favorite song by Denki Groove.

alternating.bit
I'm glad you posted this. Now I really know I have no use for one razz
dkcg
Just ordered one from Amazon. I think it will have a nice conversation with the Flame Midi Talking Synth. Maybe I'll try to get some weird feedback loop going so it's talking to itself in the past (delay wet out and maybe even a Max patch to take the miku input and make random midi for the Flame). hmmm.....
smetak
ndkent wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:

Do we actually have more specs on the Korg pedal, I've not been following? Anyway there will be when it hits the streets in Japan.

The thing in the video with the eurorack is the Gakken UTAU NSX-39 Pocket Miku that I'm pretty sure has the same engine - I just grabbed that because it had eurorack in it. There must be hundreds of videos on the Pocket Miku mini synth that came out earlier this year.

So as to the question, that video doesn't have anything complicated with phonetics I'd say the real thing has (I think) a 64 step phonem sequence you are pitching in realtime. That's really not anything a commercial sampler seems to do unless you program something elaborate in Reaktor or Max or something.

Here is a good example of what I mean by sequencing phonems that would be not something easily done with a sampler, and is a cover of a favorite song by Denki Groove.

After watching the video, I'm in the urge to break something.....
GilgaFrank
The Andertons guys' review of the miku pedal is laugh out loud funny.

nbirnel
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Where do I stick my penis? hmmm.....

In the quarter inch jack? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
LoFi Junglist
I wonder if this bloke in my city has one?

weinglas
Here I am using the Miku pedal live (from about 0:30):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-P_aa68UE
andrewF
I've had one of these for a while, kinda fun
These are just some simple patches:
dadek
really lovely use there weinglas. Guinness ftw!

there's such a startling range of 'language' in there, for such a small amount of controls. well demonstrated by your video andrewF. thanks.

i think i'll go and spend some time with mine today, now, run guitar or synth? help
nepsis
This is ridiculous and beautiful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2