MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RNC vs RNLA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author RNC vs RNLA
xonetacular
necro bump

Need a comp for some hardware sidechaining bass since the comps in my qu32 don't have sidechain annoyingly but they are useable otherwise though not the most exciting. Was planning to get the RNC first but after reading this thinking RNLA is the way to go. I kinda wanted both but not sure how useful the RNC will be now.

I have a dwarmer 1968 for the master bus.

What's the deal with the pbc-6a? some people here said it's amazing but it's weird I can still find zero demos of it after all these years and it's a lot pricier than the others.

will also take recommendations for other hardware comps with sidechain for this purpose that aren't that expensive, rack mount would be better.
acidbob
Only had the RNC and I think it was broken or had some issues, it was so noisey that I couldnt really use it. But at that time I didnt know anything about compressors.
Michael O.
xonetacular wrote:
necro bump

Need a comp for some hardware sidechaining bass since the comps in my qu32 don't have sidechain annoyingly but they are useable otherwise though not the most exciting. Was planning to get the RNC first but after reading this thinking RNLA is the way to go. I kinda wanted both but not sure how useful the RNC will be now.

I have a dwarmer 1968 for the master bus.

What's the deal with the pbc-6a? some people here said it's amazing but it's weird I can still find zero demos of it after all these years and it's a lot pricier than the others.

will also take recommendations for other hardware comps with sidechain for this purpose that aren't that expensive, rack mount would be better.

By “sidechaining bass,” do you mean as one would in a bus compressor (i.e., highpassing the bass out of the sidechain/detector to avoid excess pumping/breathing), or do you mean that house/hip hop style ducking special effect? If the former, the 1968 has a built in facility for exactly that. If the latter, either FMR unit should do the trick, but neither will really be ideal imo.

Been a while since I’ve used either, but as for the difference between the two: I believe the rnc is a peak compressor/limiter while the rnla is rms/average based. Both use a vca for the gain reduction iirc.
xonetacular
I mean for ducking as a mixing tool/effect. I use the the highpass on my 1968 on the master bus.
Plattform
I'm curious about the Real Nice mode on the RNC, some of you could explain how it sounds, and with what kind of material ?

I don't know if I should get it for that mode, I'm looking for a quite compact sound without pumping artefacts, without loosing the drums to much (for the master)
xonetacular
For the RNC there were some posts a while ago about using a cheap passive highpass filter to use in the sidechain with an insert to RCA cable for use on the master bus.

On the master bus I wouldn't go over like 3db gain reduction though. might be alright for that with the highpass.

something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Harrison-Labs-FMOD-150Hz-HP-High-Pass-Satel lite-Electronic-Crossover-USA-Made/372140466011?epid=1551007920&hash=i tem56a54cdf5b:g:j98AAOSwzrxUtbfZ&frcectupt=true
Plattform
Yes the high pass/sidechain trick is pretty cool, I knew about it for some other compressors, and it give you a gain control, so with colorful compressor you can deal with compression and saturation independently !

Well I'm looking for a comp that can handle more than 3db of gain reduction, I tought you could compress more with the Real Nice mode, I've heard that if you want this mode to work well, you have to make it compress all the time (so pretty heavy compression) have you tried this ?
xonetacular
I just mean in general I wouldn't compress too much on the master bus. im sure it can handle more if you're going for something different.
Plattform
it's more common than what people think to compress more than 3db on the master, even in professional mastering studios (but often it is done with different compressors in series so it sounds more natural)

I understand that this is how you do it (and many other person), but sometimes forgetting those popular statment and break some famous imaginary rules is good ! That's why before buying a compressor I want to be sure that it can handle a lot of compression if needed.
xonetacular
Well I just snagged both an RNC and RNLA in a funk logic rack, so I'll be able to test them both and see how they do.
Plattform
Cool !
notmiserlouagain
Can only add, I bought a rnla when it came out, and it´s one of the few pieces I still have today, because it´s such a workhorse, so portable, survived countless drops and maltreatments, still sounds good on the mix Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2