MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What's the difference between Sympleseq and Orbitals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author What's the difference between Sympleseq and Orbitals?
drip.feed
Hey Stacy, what's the diff? Both set of DIY boards are back in stock. What's a boy to do? seriously, i just don't get it
bkbirge
I like 'em both. I sold my 2 symple seq's to partially fund a pair of orbitals builds and am mostly happy with that decision. The orbitals doesn't clock as fast or as slow as my symple seq's did but that might be because I did a mod to the symple seq where you could choose speed ranges. Can't easily do mods like this on the orbitals because the daughterboard has all the i/o.

Other differences...
much easier to tell when a step is active on symple seq
Orbitals has forward, backward, ping pong, cv'able, and reverse for direction control, symple seq only goes forward.

Sequence length on Orbitals is from 1 to 16 steps (9-16 you lose the 2nd sequencer). CV output is much more stable on the builds I did for the Orbitals than it was for the Symple Seq, I'd have no problem gigging the Orbitals and I can't say that about the SS. Again, might just have been my builds though.

There are some clock routing differences too, the clock slaving pass through is done differently, not sure which I like better, they both have their pros and cons. You can't easily use the orbitals to take an external clock in and pass it around to multiple modules, the clock out comes from the internal clocks only. But that means you also have access to extra free running clocks.

Orbitals has variable gate lengths for the gate output, a feature I didn't really care about until I used it, now it's a must have for me. This is per sequence, not per step, but still uber cool.

Tuning on both without a quantizer is an exercise in patience but that's no different than many other step sequencers. The Orbitals has a transpose input for sequencer A that I find really fun.

White blinding pushbutton LED's or blue blinding indicator LED's? Take your pick, it's a toss up there.

One big caveat of the Orbitals is the light on the button only shows current step, it doesn't show active step - you determine that purely by the feel difference from an "out" button to an "in" button and it's not very easy on the fly.

Overall though I think the Orbitals is the winner for me even taking into account the pretty large price difference. It's just so feature rich and begs to be played.
drip.feed
Thanks bkbirge! That's pretty comprehensive.

What did you mean when you said the CV out of your Sympleseq was unstable? hmmm.....
bkbirge
drip.feed wrote:

What did you mean when you said the CV out of your Sympleseq was unstable? hmmm.....

The logic control board hangs on the daughter i/o board via a single header and it's kind of floppy. I don't know if that's the cause but on one of mine I built in particular sometimes the CV out would warble a bit around pitch and when I stabilized the logic board with some foam it seemed to go away. Now keep in mind my wiring on that one was of the "spaghetti" variety so it very well could have been that also and had nothing to do with the mechanical design. But I will say I've had zero issues like that with the Orbitals.

Here's an older modular track I did you can hear what I'm talking about about the warbles, it's the ghosty lead sound, pretty cool for the track but of course that's something you'd want control over, 'bout 40 seconds in it starts or listen to 5:08 where it is naked what you hear there is supposed to be a single pitch lol...
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/153979328" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
drip.feed
LOL -Jesus, that *is* an unstable CV. lol Good track too.
matic
Does orbitals have the "ghost" trigger the same as symple seq?on the symple seq there would be a small trigger after the original, depending on your envelope setting you could hear it.

Just to clarify, the sample seq (at least mine) also did not mirror the clock in rate at it's clock out. Clock out was always the speed of the Internal clock
bkbirge
No ghost trigger on the orbitals that I can tell. There was a mod to the symple seq that fixed that problem if I remember correctly.
duluthdack
bkbirge wrote:
drip.feed wrote:

The logic control board hangs on the daughter i/o board via a single header and it's kind of floppy. I don't know if that's the cause but on one of mine I built in particular sometimes the CV out would warble a bit around pitch and when I stabilized the logic board with some foam it seemed to go away. Now keep in mind my wiring on that one was of the "spaghetti" variety so it very well could have been that also and had nothing to do with the mechanical design. But I will say I've had zero issues like that with the Orbitals.

Here's an older modular track I did you can hear what I'm talking about about the warbles, it's the ghosty lead sound, pretty cool for the track but of course that's something you'd want control over, 'bout 40 seconds in it starts or listen to 5:08 where it is naked what you hear there is supposed to be a single pitch lol...
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/153979328" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

This saddens me to here this... :( I'm getting one of these built for me... :( MU format....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1