MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The New Gizmotron
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author The New Gizmotron
Crowyote
Rumour has it that 10cc's Gizmotron will become available again in the near future with a more reliable build quality.

I got into a bit of debate with the spokesperson of the company on TGP about how the thing works and whether or not it is the only thing capable of producing genuine bowed sounds on a guitar. Obviously, I discussed the Vo-96 to some extent

Whaddaya guys think?

steamroom
i would definitely get one...
there are three for sale in tokyo here (for bass) but the are $2k each..
Chrome Dinette
Would love to get one.
dkcg
I would love one. But not for anywhere near $2000. $200 sounds much better.
sascha.victoria
I think $500 would be my threshold for that thing. Looks super useful to me.
GovernorSilver
steamroom wrote:
i would definitely get one...
there are three for sale in tokyo here (for bass) but the are $2k each..

Are these 3 vintage Gizmotrons or 3 Gizmotron 2.0 units?
Crowyote
There's no way those can be 2.0s.

The 2.0's haven't been made commercially available yet.

Also, if they are vintage units they probably wouldn't work.

I'm going out on a limb here, and I'm going to guess it's the classic story of some Japanese manufacturer infringing upon the copyright of an American product. Seems like they should know about it.

Steamroom, can you attach pics?
dkcg
Crowyote wrote:
There's no way those can be 2.0s.

The 2.0's haven't been made commercially available yet.

Also, if they are vintage units they probably wouldn't work.

I'm going out on a limb here, and I'm going to guess it's the classic story of some Japanese manufacturer infringing upon the copyright of an American product. Seems like they should know about it.

Steamroom, can you attach pics?

I think he means there are 3 vintage ones there.

Yeah...them Japanese infringing on copyrights, like them tube screamer clones, Shinei clones, univibe clones... razz
Crowyote
dkcg wrote:

I think he means there are 3 vintage ones there.

Yeah...them Japanese infringing on copyrights, like them tube screamer clones, Shinei clones, univibe clones... razz

d'oh! I get your point.

The claim from the Gizmotron guys is that there were no known extant working units. If that is the case, 3 working units in one place seems quite dubious
steamroom
pretty sure it's the real thing,
being sold on yahoo auctions, the equivalent of Ebay here...

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/181879066

going for $1k
i have seen a real one here in a shop called TC Gakki, but it's not for sale...
GovernorSilver
steamroom wrote:

going for $1k

Again, vintage or 2.0?
Crowyote
GovernorSilver wrote:
steamroom wrote:

going for $1k

Again, vintage or 2.0?

2.0 has not been released yet.

They have repaired some vintage ones. Who knows maybe they have a division in Japan too.
steamroom
The ones I have seen here are definitely the old ones, and as always in Japan, still in the box! it has amazed me that the one country (well...Tokyo..) where you don't have room to save boxes for every damn thing, lo and behold...
GovernorSilver
steamroom wrote:
The ones I have seen here are definitely the old ones, and as always in Japan, still in the box! it has amazed me that the one country (well...Tokyo..) where you don't have room to save boxes for every damn thing, lo and behold...

Thanks for confirming what you saw are the vintage ones. thumbs up
dkcg
GovernorSilver wrote:
steamroom wrote:

Thanks for confirming what you saw are the vintage ones. thumbs up

You know that TGP would have a thread on the new ones if they were out... hihi

I hope they get rereleased and fairly available. I love how this thing sounds and would help kill my Moog guitar GAS.
Crowyote
dkcg wrote:

You know that TGP would have a thread on the new ones if they were out... hihi

I hope they get rereleased and fairly available. I love how this thing sounds and would help kill my Moog guitar GAS.

There is one:

Gizmo thread.

It is a cool device, but it's no Moog Guitar or Vo-96. However, it's about a 1/10 of the cost or so, if it makes it to market

It's basically a somewhat glorified hurdy gurdy type wheel that spins on your string or strings with varying pressure. It also will severely limit the action of your right hand as you are required to press on the Gizmo's keys to keep the note sustained.
dkcg
Crowyote wrote:
It's basically a somewhat glorified hurdy gurdy type wheel that spins on your string or strings with varying pressure. It also will severely limit the action of your right hand as you are required to press on the Gizmo's keys to keep the note sustained.

I end up using my palm on my rt hand to dampen strings when I use the ebow, so i won't mind getting possibly 5 more strings to vibrate. I have a feeling if it needs a somewhat "permanent" installation, it will end up my on BassVI. grin

I saw that thread on TGP a while back, but then forgot what the gizmotron was called and lost that thread. thanks for the link.
Crowyote
But having the right hand free to control a whammy bar, or to pluck or play a synth/theremin etc or what have you is a really nice thing to experience.

Innocence is bliss in this case, I suppose. meh
dkcg
Crowyote wrote:
But having the right hand free to control a whammy bar, or to pluck or play a synth/theremin etc or what have you is a really nice thing to experience.

Innocence is bliss in this case, I suppose. meh

Just because my palm is muting doesn't mean my fingers are catatonic. I usually fingerpick, so even with the ebow in hand, palm dynamically muting, I still have at least two fingers free to pluck or strum.

Besides, my 250e can play a lot more complex sequences than any finger.

No need to be condescending, leave that part on TGP, we don't do that here. meh
Crowyote
dkcg wrote:

Just because my palm is muting doesn't mean my fingers are catatonic. I usually fingerpick, so even with the ebow in hand, palm dynamically muting, I still have at least two fingers free to pluck or strum.

Besides, my 250e can play a lot more complex sequences than any finger.

No need to be condescending, leave that part on TGP, we don't do that here. meh

I'm not really trying to be condescending . . . just realistic! Even if you get the Gizmotron, you will still GAS for a Moog Guitar or Vo-96!

Hell, I'm putting mine out there for sale, and I'm still GAS-ing for it! I'm also GAS-ing for a Gizmotron, because maybe someday I will get hired to use it for something, and it sounds totally different. The one thing I am not GAS-ing for is an eBow, but I won't turn it down if someone gives me one.

The 250e thing sounds like a challenge . . . I will put my fingers and Vo-96 against your 250e. If I can come up with more complex patterns I get your 250e, and if I lose you get my Vo-96. Sound like a deal? Guinness ftw!

.......... Haha, just kidding! No way I'm ever giving up my Vo-96. She's the sorceress who has my heart at the moment.
GovernorSilver
Crowyote, just buy us all VO-96s and we'll all be happy.
Crowyote
I would if I could Governor Silver, if for no other reason than to support Vo's imaginative work.

At least I can be grateful for not being banned, the banned me over at Acoustic Guitar Forum because I had a little debate about the Vo-96 with another member. Some people aren't so forward thinking, a guitar should just be a guitar to them.
GovernorSilver
Crowyote wrote:
I would if I could Governor Silver, if for no other reason than to support Vo's imaginative work.

Lol, fair enough.
pianoscope
2k???? build your own

glove piano gizmatron

http://youtu.be/lZIkHxPH8kI?list=UUb5NzH36C8Qg82Y-Yr-CZEQ
Lemmingsunday1
My friend had a working copy he sold last year to a Jimmy Page fanatic. They are unwieldy, and fragile.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2