MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

*VIDEO* Neutron Sound - Orgone Accumulator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author *VIDEO* Neutron Sound - Orgone Accumulator
ben_hex
Here's my latest module overview video for the Neutron Sound Orgone Accumulator. Really impressive bit of kit that I've hopefully demonstrated with a few patch examples. Check the links in my video description for links to Neutron Sounds' own videos on the functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6nYw4C0TTg

Video description

Here's my overview of the Neutron Sound - Orgone Accumulator. A feature packed digital VCO with AM, FM, dual VCO sync, wavetables, waveform cross fading and loads more! Check out the videos on Neutron Sounds page to check the features of the module at the link below. I've tried to stick to patch examples here to compliment those videos.

Waveforms & Crossfading -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBqqk8GlzA&list=UUsRN4vExCa0sydz_zNst MZQ

Tuning & Detune -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlBwmcDfAWo&list=UUsRN4vExCa0sydz_zNst MZQ

AM & FM -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUi5QpHcVqw&list=UUsRN4vExCa0sydz_zNst MZQ
Summa
we're not worthy ouch I think I need this... very frustrating
CJ Miller
Nice demonstration!

FYI at 12:23 you've got "emulation" spelled "eumlation"
talfred
Summa wrote:

Same here. I wasn't very impressed before I saw this demo, but now I think it's a must have. Wonder what the total cost for the PCB, panel and all parts are altogether?
meska
thanck to have change the intro music !! :p
wirelesswine
Are they still planning on a pre-built run of these as I saw on a thread a few weeks back?
DonaldCrunk
such a great module. Mike Cameron was kind enough to demo the on he built for me the other night, sounded like a real Michael Bay module. thoroughly challenged my Cyclebox in every way (including usability). really crazy shit - and very good description of the features as always. thanks for this!
Neutron7
Thanks for the video, excellent as usual!

People who want a ready made one:

The pre-built uses a different PCB, (all SMT) so it has to go through prototypes and testing all over again which takes time.

If anyone likes building diy and re selling them, feel free!
wirelesswine
Neutron7 wrote:
The pre-built uses a different PCB, (all SMT) so it has to go through prototypes and testing all over again which takes time!

Thanks. I want one but I am not a DIY'er. Will keep an eye out on this and look for updates. Great stuff!
Neutron7
If anyone happens to be going to knob-con there will be a built (by Mike Cameron) orgone accumulator in the Bob Moog foundation charity raffle.
sammy123
Great video. It has inspired me to play with mine more.
z3r01
Excellent demo videos as always, ben_hex!

Definitely gonna get one when it's available. thumbs up
s0lo
Nice complex module!!. Great demo ben_hex
ben_hex
Summa yep you do! twisted

Thanks CJ Miller no chance of sorting that but I've added a little "whoops typo!" annotation. Cheers thumbs up

Glad the video has won you round!talfred hihi Neutron7 can know doubt help with working through the costs etc.

meska yeah, my naive self through a longer intro and music sting was good, only a few months of doing video but it had go, was annoying me! No doubt a good few others. I think the new short one is loads better.

DonaldCrunk I've heard Matttech loose on his Cyclebox a few times now and it always sounds ace! I think this is much easier to understand with more features (different sort of digital VCO) but I haven't done much to compare the two. Tonally I can hear some crossover though.

Glad you like it! Neutron7 Mr. Green

You weren't drawn to it much from the start?sammy123

z3r01 cheers! Well worth it. I know it's easy to say to follow a video but I was genuinely very impressed and blown away with unit. I've already got notes to film a second video and it's getting a lot of use just whle jamming and also in some projects and other work I do.

Thanks! s0lo

FOR THOSE AFTER MORE INFORMATION Here are the original threads -

DIY
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116293&highlight=org one+accumulator

Assembled
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103111&highlight=org one+accumulator

There's also a video on my page on installing or updating the firmware on the Teensy which even for a total DIY noob was an easy task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526WLrDo7wM
LeftyLogic
ARGGHH. I really don't need any more oscillators, but oh man I want one of these so bad... MY ASS IS BLEEDING
loderbast
very good patch examples in the video. thanks a lot!
i just recently finished my orgone accumulator and this helps getting my head around some of the possibilities.
thelizard
talfred wrote:
Summa wrote:

Same here. I wasn't very impressed before I saw this demo, but now I think it's a must have. Wonder what the total cost for the PCB, panel and all parts are altogether?

It's actually not expensive at all. I probably built mine for less than $140.

The PCB + Panel are from Neutron, and cost about $60.
The Teensy comes from Sparkfun, and is $20.
The jacks can be Erthenvar, Kobiconn, or Thonkiconn. If you build DIY modules routinely, you probably have a stash.
The Mouser BOM has everything else that you need, aside from potentiometers. The pots can be ordered from Tayda for $1.50 a pop (with very low shipping costs). I was able to replace almost the entire BOM with Tayda resistors, capacitors, headers, LEDs, etc. (most of which I already had from other builds). From the Mouser BOM, I only really needed to order the buttons + button caps, the surface-mount headers, the keyed header for the power cable, the BAT42 diodes, and a few of the caps that didn't have direct Tayda replacements.

The build took me about four hours from start to finish. I wouldn't recommend it as your first build, as the Teensy section is a bit difficult. Overall, I'm very happy with mine.
vasculator
thelizard wrote:
talfred wrote:
Summa wrote:

The jacks can be Erthenvar, Kobiconn, or Thonkiconn. If you build DIY modules routinely, you probably have a stash.
The Mouser BOM has everything else that you need, aside from potentiometers. The pots can be ordered from Tayda for $1.50 a pop (with very low shipping costs). I was able to replace almost the entire BOM with Tayda resistors, capacitors, headers, LEDs, etc. (most of which I already had from other builds). From the Mouser BOM, I only really needed to order the buttons + button caps, the surface-mount headers, the keyed header for the power cable, the BAT42 diodes, and a few of the caps that didn't have direct Tayda replacements.

The build took me about four hours from start to finish. I wouldn't recommend it as your first build, as the Teensy section is a bit difficult. Overall, I'm very happy with mine.

i think in the end mine was ~$170 and took me about 6 hours. it's my favorite digi osc i've used. the sound is excellent. killer demo ben_hex! it actually cleared up a few details for me.
ben_hex
Glad the video is useful for people with the module too. Cheers everyone!
sammy123
ben hex It's pretty much my favorite oscillator but there was features that I had not quite figured out yet and then I got distracted by my living VCOs.
talfred
thelizard wrote:
talfred wrote:
Summa wrote:

Thanks for the info lizard. $140-170 is a great price. I'm tempted to build 2. I have a piston honda, but the sound coming from ben_hex's excellent video seem warmer than that. Didn't know arduino/teensy had enough power to generate sounds like these.

There are so many great DIY projects rigth now. And a lot of good pre-built moduls as well. We're living in the golden age of modular synthesis!
pievo
very tempting to start soldering...
thelizard
pievo wrote:
very tempting to start soldering...

So far, I've had extremely good luck with this iron:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10707

In the price range, it was the best reviewed variable-temperature iron that I could find. It's far better than the previous two irons that I had used. However, I'm also very new at this, so take my recommendation at face value! They have free shipping at $75, so if you're ordering a Teensy, the iron + some solder will get you there.

Quote:
Thanks for the info lizard. $140-170 is a great price. I'm tempted to build 2. I have a piston honda, but the sound coming from ben_hex's excellent video seem warmer than that. Didn't know arduino/teensy had enough power to generate sounds like these.

My $140 estimate is very ballpark, as I ordered all of my parts for the Neutron, the HexInverter Mutant Drums, a second Mutable Instruments Shruthi, various Ciat-Lonbarde paper circuits, and general educational projects simultaneously (I'm listing those out for people who are unaware of some of the amazing DIY projects available right now). Really, though, resistors are a penny a piece from Tayda, and the potentiometers for the Neutron added up to $21.

The main thing that Mouser gouges you on is the price of sockets and pre-cut headers. You can order a huge pile of 40-pin headers (http://www.taydaelectronics.com/40-pin-2-54-mm-single-row-pin-header- strip.html) and cut them yourself for less than the cost a single Mouser header. Keep in mind, though, that you really do need to order the surface mount headers from Mouser (or at least not Tayda, since they don't carry them).
Complex Waveform
Wow! Really impressive! love
matttech
ben_hex wrote:

DonaldCrunk I've heard Matttech loose on his Cyclebox a few times now and it always sounds ace! I think this is much easier to understand with more features (different sort of digital VCO) but I haven't done much to compare the two. Tonally I can hear some crossover though.

Ha! "matttech on the loose, armed with a Cyclebox!"

this looks interesting, although I'd probably say the Cyclebox is more unique in a way. At the start of the demo it sounded like there was some level drop when morphing between the waves - is that the case?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3