MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

nw2s::io progress!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author nw2s::io progress!
scottwilson
== Update Mar 4 ==

Production boards were delivered yesterday... and woooboy they sound so good. Really excited. It's the first round I've gotten with the full +6dB of gain coming from the DAW side, and ahhh just the ability to get that smooth SeM20 saturation as a hardware insert makes it worth it!

I have a few more tests to run through to have a full workout, but assuming that's all good, then the upgrades will ship this week and the newer orders will ship starting Monday!

Regards,

Scott

==========

== Update ==

Big ol TLDR post about the progress of the balanced versions as well as some thoughts on integrating modular and studio gear. Browse through. And thanks for all the support!

http://nw2s.net/nw2sio-design-usage-and-update/

==========

Making some progress on the io module. Production panels have been received, so here's a photo of one of them fitted to a prototype board. Couple more weeks to get updated prototype PCBs and *knock* *knock*, I'll be able to get the PCB production underway as well!

-Scott
mckenic
thumbs up
CF3
we're not worthy
Lookin sweet.
thresholdpeople
Fantastic!
ignatius
lervly.

can't wait for this one. already got the studio ready for it. 2 snakes, patch bay space, hole in the case smile

It's motherfucking bacon yo
clusterchord
i am so getting this one.

cant believe it,, someone finally tackled the interfacing of euro/modular world with the pro audio. long overdue. hoooray!!

this will go to my sml utility eurobox, together with some Expert Sleepers, buffered Multiples. maybe i'll throw in a Gozintha too, just for those special situations requiring extra gain..
Ya-Neck
Incredible!!! Such a great invention! SlayerBadger!
Can't wait for it!
C14ru5
This will be a great improvement over my current 10-channel Analogue Systems RS250 Trunk Line module. As that one does not have any amplification/attenuation, this module is simply a must-have for any medium to large sized modular system used in a studio setting! Straight from the modular system into the interface - no need to run it trough the mixing console anymore. love
myecholalia
I'm sure I am missing something, but can someone tell me what the difference between this and an expert sleepers es-3/es-6 combo is (besides only 6 ins on the es-6)? Cheers!
C14ru5
The most obvious difference is that the ES-3/ES-6 uses an ADAT optical interface, while the ns2s::io is has analog I/O. So they are similar products, but for different types of setups. I think a more direct comparison to the nw2s::io would be the ES-1 (DB25).
scottwilson
Correct - It's a bit of both. It's bi-directional like the ES-3/ES-6 but analog like the ES-1. In theory, the gain staging is different since the 'io will run at +/- 18V.

Prototyping the SMT board is taking a bit longer than expected as we work through some issues, but hopefully will have an update soon!

s
djthopa
Looking forward to more info & updates!
ignatius
applause applause applause

stoked for this still. will be so handy
HIMA
...gone kinda quiet around here. hope all is well.
scottwilson
It's going. Too much work and too little time. Prototypes are in, but as to be expected, they have a couple of issues, and I just need some quality time with them to debug!

s
ignatius
great! thanks for the update. happy debugging smile

thumbs up
visible cow
Just subscribing to this thread. If there's a euro module that I actually need it's this.
seank
i need at least two of these. fantastic module! keep us posted.
scottwilson
Wow, sorry for the time it's taken to get to this point! Even I'm getting tired of waiting for myself. Seriously, having this thing in my rack is spoiling me, and I'm ready for it to be in production!

First off, let me say that I've decided to offer two versions of the 'io - an active version and a passive version.

The passive version will use the exact same interface, but rather than including an active balancing circuit, will include a passive unbalanced connection from the 3.5mm connectors to the DB-25s. The passive IO will be available for $195 assembled, and since it's completely through-hole, I'm going to offer it as a super simple DIY kit for $145.

To be clear, the "passive" version isn't completely passive. It does include the same LED driver circuit as the active version. Only the audio path is passive.

I'll have the passive version in production in the next 2 weeks and they should be shipping before the holidays! I'll open up for ordering as soon as I get the PCBs in (the rest of the parts are already here) so I know the balance of kits to assembled units I'll need.

The active version of the io is going to end up somewhere in the $400 to $500 range (hopefully at the lower end of that), and is probably overkill for about 90% of you. It's running at +/- 18V and uses the same precision circuitry that most pro audio equipment out there uses. It's not quite ready yet, and will need another round of prototyping to test the updates I've made.

For those of you, who like me, really want the active version, but can't wait, I'm going to offer an upgrade option. Since the panel PCB is the same on both versions, you can buy the passive version now, and when the active version is ready, you can purchase the active PCBs for only the price difference and swap them out.

Thanks for your patience so far. I hope additional the passive option will satisfy those of you with the workflow needs who will only be running shorter cabling to gear that may or may not be balanced, but who still want the workflow benefits of a more standardized, denser format.

Regards,

Scott
C14ru5
Thanks for the update!

scottwilson wrote:
To be clear, the "passive" version isn't completely passive. It does include the same LED driver circuit as the active version. Only the audio path is passive.

To my ears, passive means "no power necessary". To avoid the confusion, why not simply call the two variants unbalanced/balanced instead of passive/active? Or you could just slap a "pro" suffix on the active version.

You did not explicitly say if you were releasing DIY kits/PCBs for the active version, or for the active upgrade PCB. But I sort of interpreted you this way: "it's too advanced of a build to risk offering it as DIY". Could you clarify?
scottwilson
That makes sense. Certainly don't want to be confusing. (you _could_ leave it unplugged and it will still do the job)

As to the actively balanced version: Aside from the panel PCB, it will be almost completely SMT, and some of the components are very fine pitch, so it won't be feasible to offer a DIY version. The upgrade would be the same price whether you purchased assembled or DIY.

Regards,

Scott
seank
HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME.

how can i preorder two kits?
thresholdpeople
Will the passive version have any attenuating resistors for the signals going out? Or will it only a cable format changer?
scottwilson
It will have a 3dB attenuation that is simply due to the fact that you're converting from unbalanced to balanced and losing half the voltage.

Assuming that your converters are calibrated to +4dBu = -18dBFS, then with that 3dB attenuation, a +/-5V signal (10V P-P) will result in a -5.8dBFS digital signal. If you've got some really hot eurorack gear, a 20V P-P signal will result in a -2.8dBFS. Super hot, but not clipping.

s
seank
would you still use the same db25 to trs balanced cable?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5