MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

my diy modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author my diy modular
johnnymad
here's my diy modular so far. all of the modules except for the mixer are mfos. i still have to build a few more modules, but it should be done by next week...hopefully meh meh

top row: 3 vco, mixer

middle row: state variable filter, low pass filter, ar generator, vca

bottom: sample and hold

remaining modules: 2 mults, utility lfo, noise cornucopia (done but not pictured), and blacet I/O

close up of vco. complete with dymo labelling. 8)
eyehue
nice work! looks real clean!
scozbor
johnnymad wrote:
complete with dymo labelling. 8)

what is this dymo you speak of?
Kent
Rock on! There is a lot of man hours wrapped up in those!
Muff Wiggler
that's very cool johnny, nice work! pics like this always make me wish i had a wooden case...
johnnymad
scozbor wrote:
what is this dymo you speak of?

it's just a brand of label maker. it prints out onto a clear tape.
Kwote
right on. thanks for posting. pretty wide panels. how's that working out for you? any regrets?
johnnymad
Kwote wrote:
right on. thanks for posting. pretty wide panels. how's that working out for you? any regrets?

it's great so far. every time a module is finished, different and more interesting sounds are made.

the panels are 4.5'' wide. the ar generator and the lfo panels have almost every inch covered. those were the only two with a really tight fit. i'll post pics of the final product when it's done.
johnnymad
here's my modular as of lately. i was planning on putting two mults after each blacet module, but my plans have changed. i'm going to get a frac rack and move the two blacets in there, then i'll build two more diy modules to fill the spaces. i'm going to build a bunch of mults into a project box so i don't waste any space. sorry for the fuzzy picture.

[/img]
wetterberg
very nice - and nice touch with the vaseline on the camera lens wink

why not just build the mults right into the modules? There's plenty of space there.
spbaker
excellent! we're not worthy

it has a great aesthetic with the vintage knobs and the layout of the modules, well done!
wetterberg
spbaker wrote:
excellent! we're not worthy

it has a great aesthetic with the vintage knobs and the layout of the modules, well done!

+1 - and I agree the blacet stuff needs to come out of there, into its own habitat.
johnnymad
wetterberg wrote:
very nice - and nice touch with the vaseline on the camera lens wink

why not just build the mults right into the modules? There's plenty of space there.

i thought about that, but the other two unbuilt modules won't have any panel space to spare. i'm might build another ar generator (like the third on the second row) and maybe another utility lfo (like the first on the bottom row). i don't want to drill holes in the preexisting modules either.

i've also thought about ditching another ar or lfo and building a passive ring mod with half the panel being the ring mod and the other half mults. how many mults do you guys have in your systems?
wetterberg
johnnymad wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

i thought about that, but the other two unbuilt modules won't have any panel space to spare.
I was actually talking about building it into the panels of some of the units you've already done - I see lots of bare aluminium in there. Just a thought anyway, mults can be shoved in anywhere.
johnnymad wrote:

how many mults do you guys have in your systems?
I only have 2 4-ways right now, but my full 12u system should end up with like ten or something. They're quick and easy, and I will end up having mine down the side of the case (not racked up, that is). I've seen mults put into some pretty crazy places...
johnnymad
yeah. i actually cut 2 panels with 3 four way mults each, that would fit next to the blacets. i'll figure it out. and there's always duct tape! hihi
Kwote
i've got an FPD file of a 19" 1u panel that will have 10 mults. 6 jacks per mult so that's 1 in and 5 out.

if you want me to flow it to you i'll shoot it your way. or upload it in this thread now that muff has got the whole upload thing going.

i was actually done but then i found out how to be more precise placement wise, etc. so i've redone it. just need to throw all the mults back in. perhaps tonight or tomorrow.

lemme know.
wetterberg
cool, upload it here - may need to .zip it?, then we can print it out, put it on a blank panel and drill away - saving us, what, 50 euro? At least, right?
Kwote
wetterberg wrote:
cool, upload it here - may need to .zip it?, then we can print it out, put it on a blank panel and drill away - saving us, what, 50 euro? At least, right?

i think it's 40 USD or somewhere around there. i don't have a drill and won't until i get out of the apartment life so i'm cool with ordering through FPE but yeah if you do it completely on your own it'll be damn cheap
wetterberg
i was surprised to see: it actually just costs a bit over 30 euro for a 1u with system holes and 60 minijack holes. Not bad at all right there.

Still, I have NO qualms about drilling wink DIY is what it is for me, and the front panel is where the majority of the savings can be made.
johnnymad
i think i'm going to build another dual ar. that will put me up to four envelope generators. the other panel is still undecided. i could build a ring mod/mult, a psycho lfo/mult, vca/mult. maybe a combination of all four? the panel is 4.5'' wide which means i can cram a lot of stuff on it. or i could stick to the original plan and build the mults into a project box. somebody please help .
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
i think i'm going to build another dual ar. that will put me up to four envelope generators. the other panel is still undecided. i could build a ring mod/mult, a psycho lfo/mult, vca/mult. maybe a combination of all four? the panel is 4.5'' wide which means i can cram a lot of stuff on it. or i could stick to the original plan and build the mults into a project box. somebody please help .

heh smile started a seperate thread about this

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359
johnnymad
Kwote wrote:

yeah, i checked it out. 8) i still have no idea what i'm going to do. mounting them in frac ears seems like a cool idea though. how many mults could be squeezed into each ear? i still don't have a frac rack, so i have no way of judging this without seeing one.
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
Kwote wrote:

yeah, i checked it out. 8) i still have no idea what i'm going to do. mounting them in frac ears seems like a cool idea though. how many mults could be squeezed into each ear? i still don't have a frac rack, so i have no way of judging this without seeing one.

i just got 1 per ear six jacks. 1 in 5 out. you have to dremel out part of the rack to get em to fit though. hence why i'm going with the 19" panel for now.
Kwote
also i think having dedicated modular panels for mults is wasteful space wise. if you can manage to squeeze mults in the ear or use my 1u panel i think you'll be better off. my only criticism of your DIY is the width of the panels. i think you should go for standard blacet width of 3"

sqeeze everything closer together and then there'll be no debate about putting mults or other functions in because you won't have the space. and of course you'll have more room in your cases for more modules which is always cool since we're addicts.
johnnymad
i wanted to do them 3'' but some of the modules would not have fit on that width. some have a ton of empty space, while others barely fit. i think ray's modules fit better in motm format, but i wanted to go with frac.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2