MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Verbos dual Four Pole Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Verbos dual Four Pole Filter
anselmi
I´m looking for something different...is this filter the one I need?

I got :

MMF-1
Borg2
Ripples
patchable SEM (new)
microbrute
slim phatty
Minitaur

How it compares with this and other well known filters?

And where´s the amazing demos???

It looks gorgeous and I can hear some interesting sweeps in a few youtube videos but that´s all... seriously, i just don't get it
Dogma
Yeah Im looking at his osc's and I cant find that much. I nearly bought his VCA/filter the other day but for he lack of demos.
Its a real nice low/hi pass filter thats morph able between the 2. Vactorals. Not much more to it I dont think

EDIT> With Verbos OSc's he has done his complex OSC before with his Buchla systems so Ive heard those but im interested in the other one. For which I cant find many - one actually
anselmi
no users of this filter here? seriously, i just don't get it
L
If i can, during the week end i could do some audio /video demos
btw i love this system!
Dogma
i too am super interested. Also in the tone control as a final VCA and filter..... With the L1 Quad Mixer I dont know if Id need it.
WHat are your thoughts?
Funky40
no

its not the überfilter and there wont be any.
everything else is hype.
my verdict and my opinion

if you need a "goody" for your pleasure, get one, you will be happy.
if space and money IS an issue, probably think twice
mritenburg
This is a simple limited demo of the low pass channel of the dual four pole using the saw wave from the harmonic osc. I'm using a system x envelope to open the filter on each gate and I'm using the triangle from the complex osc to sweep the cut-off frequency. I posted this in the VERBOS thread, but figured I would post it here since people keep asking.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/verbos-eastcoast[/s]
Dogma
Yeah your probably right although I do think his oscillators are very nice
Ive decided on this bad boy instead http://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-1-mutant-vactrol-filter
DIY which is super easy on this is about $280 to DIY - sounds incredible.
paperCUT
mritenburg wrote:
This is a simple limited demo of the low pass channel of the dual four pole using the saw wave from the harmonic osc. I'm using a system x envelope to open the filter on each gate and I'm using the triangle from the complex osc to sweep the cut-off frequency. I posted this in the VERBOS thread, but figured I would post it here since people keep asking.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/verbos-eastcoast[/s]

Any demos of both filers in series? Sounds great.
goiks
i enjoy this filter, it's very playable and crude/vintagey sounding. but, like most of his modules, i think it could be smaller without sacrificing function or playability, and it probably won't stay in my setup forever.

(other filters i have: qmmf-4, uvcf, doc oc, addac filterbank, r-54)
alamandra
Does sound awesome what i heard of it, but that's not my first hand experience of actually using the module. I'd like one but a 3rd filter just isn't needed in a system like mine, and I am keeping the filters i got forever.
w00dw0rth
Dogma wrote:
i too am super interested. Also in the tone control as a final VCA and filter..... With the L1 Quad Mixer I dont know if Id need it.
WHat are your thoughts?

I have to put in a plug here for the Amplitude and Tone Control module. I just got it and have been using it side by side with a Pittsburgh LPG - to kind of explore the differences - and I can confirm that it is badass, and super fun to play. As you probably realize, it is a VCA and LPF, but not integrated in the same way that most LPGs are, so you have way more functionality and options for modulation. It sounds amazing, and makes so so much sense after spending a half hour with it. I've been dreaming patches using only it and the Verbos Harmonic OSC only now for the past several nights.

I can't speak to the dual 4 pole because I've never touched it. But the ATC is really fun and makes you want to go on west coast excursions all day long.
ndkent
Was drawn because it's Verbos and a steep filter pair is pretty rare.

Watch out that the really early ones made need a fix.

I guess some people want filters that really distort so I guess it's not one of those but a filter I'm happy to own for dual filtering
stickmann
It is a unique filter. The resonance never goes into self oscillation and gives the filter a watery squelch sound with high resonance settings. It is a bit quirky and gives me a sort of rustic 1960's tape recording filter vibe (highly opinionated, perhaps slightly biased thought). I primarily used it in series and it gives very precise and unique band pass filtering. I would be hesitant to recommend it as your only filter(s) but it adds a nice sound, unique features (dual 24db slope, series or 2 separate filters), and does what is advertises very well.

Two CV inputs with attenuverters are nice but I think the panel size could have been significantly reduced by having just one CV input per filter. Perhaps there was a design concept for this that I have not heard of, but mixer + attenuverter modules can easily achieve this.

Having said that, my favorite patches with the DFP involve crazy modulation of all four CV inputs with stepped modulation. It is probably because of the 4 pole that the changes sound crispy and drastic. I've had particularly good results feeding the Phonogene into it.

I could record stuff but I'm usually getting lost in patching and forget. I have the full Verbos set and really enjoy using all of them.
konnekshen
ndkent wrote:
Was drawn because it's Verbos and a steep filter pair is pretty rare.

Watch out that the really early ones made need a fix.

I guess some people want filters that really distort so I guess it's not one of those but a filter I'm happy to own for dual filtering

i just bought one... what do you mean by "early ones need a fix?"

mine says "dual four pole v2" 2013,
so it is a later one i guess?

thank you

btw yes it is big. yes it is kinda limited.
but it sounds sooo good...

and if you feel alone, then you can modulate it and it will
talk to you so sweet ... 60s alien cat purring

ps i would love to know what the 4 jumpers on the back are for...
filter and reso tuning?
Dogma
I really like dual filter setups like this and yes its exxpensive and big but from the demos it sounds incredible and I want it. The L1 mutant filter Im getting is not much cheaper at all so the 20% premium doesnt seem so much if your gonna live with it for a couple of years
ndkent
konnekshen wrote:

The first few that went out the door from Analogue Haven needed a fix. If it's one of them it should be easy to spot if listened to and clearly something is wrong (signal to noise, knob range). Because of the way they were rolled out for sale it's impossible to buy a problem one new by accident now. But as luck would have it I bought one second hand that was bought early and Mark quickly fixed mine.
mritenburg
ndkent wrote:
konnekshen wrote:

The first few that went out the door from Analogue Haven needed a fix. If it's one of them it should be easy to spot if listened to and clearly something is wrong (signal to noise, knob range). Because of the way they were rolled out for sale it's impossible to buy a problem one new by accident now. But as luck would have it I bought one second hand that was bought early and Mark quickly fixed mine.

That's interesting. I bought my dual four pole on the first day they were available and have not had any issues.
Selador
To clarify the issue people are talking about, and is present only in systems powered by switching supplies:

tuj
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108759&start=0&postd ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
mritenburg
Selador wrote:
To clarify the issue people are talking about, and is present only in systems powered by switching supplies

That makes total sense because I have a linear supply. Thanks for the clarification.
quadrupole
For some reason I can't stop thinking about adding a DFP to my setup. It would be my only euro filter, but it looks great and sounds awesome in the few demos I've heard. However, getting it would mean delaying my modular grid fantasies a bit since its big and kinda expensive.

I'm just curious how everyone feels about the DFP a couple of months later. Do you guys still like it? Is it a keeper or something interesting passing through? How's it wearing on you?
we_squirm
I bought it and quickly returned it. It was beautiful, but a little too polite sounding for my tastes.
quadrupole
Interesting. The description says it can 'screech and growl' with the best of them. I guess I'm still looking for a demo that shows this screech and growl.

Still curious how others feel about their DFPs!
jameswalk
Why manufacturers of such excellent and expensive stuff don't invest in some decent promo vids is beyond me. This looks so interesting but I refuse to buy blind !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6