MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tip for Tiptop audio...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Tip for Tiptop audio...
kraku
My wish for next Christmas is a digital ADSR envelope generator from Tiptop audio. The envelope would have all the usual 4 controls (attack / decay / sustain / release) and in addition to that "curve" parameters for each of those four parameters.

With curve parameter you could tweak each of the ADSR curve part's slope smoothly between exponential, linear and logarithmic (and go to their extremes!). So basically this would be the same as with Logic Pro's Ultrabeat drum machine's envelopes (which actually uses splines for this), but you'd only have one extra knob per part to twist.

With this kind of envelope you could create super snappy drums and tweak them to perfection. You could also create all kinds of smooth sounding round basses and "wopwop!" kind of effects.

Please tell me there are other people on this forum who would love to see this thing come into market smile
kraku
To get more technical and down to the point of this:

Each of the slope parts of ADSR would be done using a separate Bezier curve. The slope knob would just move the two middle control points on a predefined path.

The math side of this would be really fast to run on a any chip.
Funky40
in addition to above wish:
IMO Decay needs to have also a inverted S-shape.
Could be useful too for attack.
also not stupid for the release stage

such a ADSR is my #1 on the wishlist
ST UF FLI N EAR
Incl cycling at audiorange? twisted
krv
ST UF FLI N EAR wrote:
Incl cycling at audiorange? twisted

of course and I don't want to wait for the next xmas, I want it now and for free

what about an "envelopes card" for the z-dsp?
wetterberg
I'd really dig a TipTopAudio version of the cv-able envelope. Many of the other prominent manufacturers have one - MakeNoise, Wiard/Malekko, Doepfer.
Something really compact and utilitarian would friggin rock.
D/A A/D
The possibilities of the Z-DSP keep breaking my brain...
Veqtor
I miss the Serge ADSR when I'm working on my euro-modular. I don't think attenuation is needed for CV inputs. Thus, really compact ADSR's can be made. Perhaps slope for attack, decay and release? I don't know.

Perhaps, one could have a variable knob to change the slope for attack, decay and release at the same time, when at minimum it is suitable for percussive sounds, 12 o clock is linear and maxiumum is the opposite of the perc setting?

By percussive I mean a exp attack, log decay and linear release.
Anti-percussive would reasonably be log attack, exp decay and semi-exp release...

This way it would be possible to have vc-attack, vc-decay, vc release, and vc-velocity. All of this fits in 8HP like the Z2040.
tj
+1 for tiptop envelope SlayerBadger!
Nuuj
As long as one is doing digital envelopes one could have a library of sampled envelopes created from acoustic instruments and complex envelopes created from scratch.
Veqtor
Nuuj wrote:
As long as one is doing digital envelopes one could have a library of sampled envelopes created from acoustic instruments and complex envelopes created from scratch.

This is a VERY interesting idea...
numan7
Quote:
Perhaps, one could have a variable knob to change the slope for attack, decay ... All of this fits in 8HP like the Z2040.

hmm, this sure sounds like something zdsp could do, although that of course would take up 28 hp for 2 envelopes... i think the dsp version could provide different knob profile settings (slope curves, cv amts, etc for the variable knobs) that could be loaded separately for each env/channel,are controllable in both directions so that you could have different spaces of timbral variation to explore. ...

And much much more would be possible I would think...

Dead Banana (brain explodes...)

Still tho, 8 hp per adsr sure would be sumthin 8_)

Cheers
numan7
D/A A/D wrote:
The possibilities of the Z-DSP keep breaking my brain...

thumbs up+1
drewtoothpaste
Nuuj wrote:

This sounds awesome - and could be done in a tiny module with 1 "envelope select" knob and 1 "timebase" knob that affects the A/D/R by -200% / 0 at center / 200%. Maybe a 2/3-digit LED display for the envelope# too.
felix
It's a cool idea, but I don't see the reason why they need to be digitally generated envelopes.
wetterberg
nah, I like the analogue TTA designs a lot. I figure we suggest what we want, and then The Almighty Gur handles the "how".
MrDys
I'm not sure why this request should be TipTop specific...
numan7
MrDys wrote:
I'm not sure why this request should be TipTop specific...

i'd guess it's just that tta hasn't offered an vc envelope/slopes module yet, whilst many of the other well known makers of euro modules have at least one in their lineup. and it is a cool and exciting category of module (witness all the love for maths, envelator, ctg, usw...).

i personally hope we get to see both analogue and digital tta envs (that can be cross-patched for very complex dsg/maths-like transients and functions, but with 12 bits or higher digital control and maybe some kind of storage on the the digital side for better repeatibility when one has a cool, cool transient that is too borderline-stable >> maths/slopes scaling/inverting knob growl-growl-growl - not that I don't love my maths's 8_) << to ever set up quite the same way again) at some point...

Cheers

Cheers

Cheers

6 or 8 hp widths would kick add 8_)

Cheers
karplus
Nuuj wrote:

Holy shit, I'd love to hear something like that - that would seem the only reason to have a digital envelope in my book.
transferpoint
I sent tiptop an email a month or two ago asking them to do an ADSR and an LFO... they said they have plans to do both in the future.

Dan
Veqtor
karplus wrote:
Nuuj wrote:

Holy shit, I'd love to hear something like that - that would seem the only reason to have a digital envelope in my book.

One interesting aspect of this is lowpass envelopes modelled after overtone fallout during the envelope. This tail following the initial attack is primary identifier we use to distinguish pianos from celestas for example.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1