MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a-100 diy kit #2 hum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author a-100 diy kit #2 hum
recapitation
i just bought a doepfer diy kit #2 hoping to get rid of my suitcase since i only have 3U worth of modules now. however, upon arrival, the manual said "not recommended for audio use, only control voltage" (buyer beware..).... so i set it up and found there to be a significant hum when certain modules were plugged in. does anyone know why the hum occurs? is it because of a high overall mA load, or due to certain properties in a particular module, like LEDs?? i found that the worst culprit is the plan b m24 heisenberg generator. my other modules are: spring reverb, external input, bbd, polivoks, wasp, vactrol low pass gate, and traut/ribbon controller. incidentally, i found the spring reverb depth to be significantly lacking relative to the suitcase. my next question is whether the doepfer mini cases have the same hum problems, because if they don't, i'll just buy one and sequester the model 24 and any other hum-inducing modules into that. basically i just want to find out what's causing the hum and how i can get around it. help me get rid of my suitcase!! thanks in advance.
baboo
hard to say. I'm also using this kit but I keep mostly envelopes and modulation sources there with one filter. I don't have any significant hum, and many of these modules have LEDs . However , I had a problem with Maths and after some thinking I realized it was because the busboard was not insulated from my case. when I screwed it into a wooden part and it was conected to the PSU only with cables the problem was solved- maybe you should check If your busboard is touching some metal parts of your case. You can also try unplugging some of the modules from the busboard to see if it is a power load problem
ST UF FLI N EAR
i have the kit too. no hum.
well i had some weird (uunwanted) noises before, but guess grounding the busboard to the rails solved that.
megamouse
I also Have this kit, with a Maths, A-111-5 minisynth, and a-190-2(recording as we speak). I was also worried about this little warning Doepfer Made about their product, but have never some across a significant hum. However I do have my bus-board attached at the very bottom (about 6 inches deep) in the case, and the power supply is off to the right side away from any modules. In the future this will become my control box, so I never have to worry about damage befalling my modules. However I'm also thinking buy a new power supply from Modular world to eliminate any worry, as 500mas is never going to be enough.
theabsent
Quote:
www.doepfer.de:

because of the poor sales and the poor quality of the voltages (compared to DIY kit #1) this product is no longer continued

I had one too - very poor quality, as is now stated on Doepfer site too. I sent it back and now I have 4 x Diy-kit #1 - No problems, very good quality.
dingebre
Think ground loops. That your hum occurs only when some modules are plugged in suggests to my you may have a ground loop problem. Isolate which module it is, or combination. Insulate the panel(s) from the rack, reconnect the modules and listen for the hum. You can also try using unshielded cables if that doesn't help. See if the offending module always causes a hum or if it is only when connected to certain other modules.

I know my MFB SEQ-02 can't be connected with shielded cables due to capacitive loading (confirmed with MFB and by a simple test).

Good luck.

David
recapitation
thanks for all the help and advice!! wish it was more explicit on analoguehaven's site about this, but i won't get started..... you can never do enough research i suppose....

last question: does the doepfer 32hp mini case have similar issues? i see no mention of this in its manual, so i assume it's fine for audio, but i just want to be sure....
dkcg
recapitation wrote:
thanks for all the help and advice!! wish it was more explicit on analoguehaven's site about this, but i won't get started..... you can never do enough research i suppose....

last question: does the doepfer 32hp mini case have similar issues? i see no mention of this in its manual, so i assume it's fine for audio, but i just want to be sure....

The minicases are not recommended for oscillators.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1