MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[interest check] hexinverter Mutant CLAP DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]

How many PCB/panel sets are you interested in?
1x PCB+panel+rare parts set ($79)
87%
 87%  [ 43 ]
1x PCB set -- NO PANEL OR PARTS ($49)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
More than 1x PCB+panel+rare parts set ($79ea)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
More than 1x PCB set -- NO PANEL OR PARTS ($49ea)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49

Author [interest check] hexinverter Mutant CLAP DIY
hexinverter
Hey guys!

So I guess it's just about time for the Mutant Clap to hit eurorack retailers, and that means I am hard at work making the DIY project for it too!

Therefore I am starting this thread to serve as DIY support and to get an idea of how many PCBs to get together for everyone.

If you're not familiar with the Mutant Clap, check out the module project page here http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=mutant-clap-diy-project

Also, ModularGrid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/hexinverter-net-mutant-clap

**IF YOU'D LIKE TO GET AN EMAIL WHEN THEY'RE IN STOCK, SIGN UP HERE**: http://eepurl.com/pDf_5

Please use the above poll to indicate interest!

I'll have eurorack panels, PCBs and rare parts (long pin headers + CD4006 shift register ICs) in stock. There will be no full kits as there are too many parts for me to pack economically.

Audio Demos

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/151086003" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
regenbot
panel+pcb+rare parts here. Cannot wait. I'm definitely going to pick one up, great work w00t
thelizard
I'm buying a kit the day it comes out. Let us know when the BOM is posted! I have a Tayda cart with my properly-sized Bassdrum and Hihat capacitors. I'm waiting for the next 15% off coupon, and would love to get the Clap caps in there while I'm at it.
paulstone
so only toast pcb for eurorack ?
gianni
very interested in a PCB +panel set!
smurphd
Il take two x pcb+panel.
mothertongue
Not sure if I want the clap yet, but the poster and graphic materials are superb! Well done!
hexinverter
thelizard wrote:
I'm buying a kit the day it comes out. Let us know when the BOM is posted! I have a Tayda cart with my properly-sized Bassdrum and Hihat capacitors. I'm waiting for the next 15% off coupon, and would love to get the Clap caps in there while I'm at it.

Absolutely! I've just got to finish up the PCBs and then I'll be onto the BoM. Then I will post it. ETA: ~3-5 days.

paulstone wrote:
so only toast pcb for eurorack ?

That's right. Though if you are skilled, there's no reason you cannot adapt it to another format if you really want This is fun!
hexinverter
The DIY PCBs are coming along nicely smile

thelizard
Nice! I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to power regulation rules. Is this 7805 safe to use, or is the 1.5 V Output Current going to mess anything up?:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/lm7805-l7805-7805-voltage-regulator-ic -5v-1-5a.html

I only ask, because most Mouser-linked 7805s have 1 V of output.
hexinverter
thelizard wrote:
Nice! I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to power regulation rules. Is this 7805 safe to use, or is the 1.5 V Output Current going to mess anything up?:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/lm7805-l7805-7805-voltage-regulator-ic -5v-1-5a.html

I only ask, because most Mouser-linked 7805s have 1 V of output.

Either should work just fine for you! That's actually the current rating (in amps) and means that the regulator can only supply up to that amount of current.

In fact, the circuit only draws a little bit of the possible current the regulator can supply. I just picked a larger 7805 regulator for this layout since there was room on the PCB and lots of people probably have the big ones like this laying around smile
kisielk
Just got my hats PCB+panel+rare parts in today. Can't wait to order the clap (and the snare??? smile
hexinverter
kisielk wrote:
Just got my hats PCB+panel+rare parts in today. Can't wait to order the clap (and the snare??? smile

Woot! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Well actually the Snare will be a ways out yet! Expect to see the DIY version sometime after NAMM (so Feb/March)

It is an enormous circuit so I decided to spend a lot of time getting it perfect and released the Clap before it, instead of at the same time.

It will be well worth the wait though. It's going to be crazy! screaming goo yo
NullSquare
I can't even vote in the poll yet and I still want one (PCB+Frontpanel+Rare Parts)! grin
b-art
Same here... can't vote yet but put me down for PCB + Panel + rare parts! nanners

edit: hahaha this post made me able to vote wink
hexinverter
Bill of Materials is up, and I've sent off for prototype PCBs!

Mouser's search function is down right now, so I'll do the Mouser cart later. Stay tuned for that smile

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dHRXUkxweHhYM DZOSkZDem00enp5ZGc&usp=sharing
DMR
NullSquare wrote:
I can't even vote in the poll yet and I still want one (PCB+Frontpanel+Rare Parts)! grin
hexinverter
I just added the link to the Mouser Cart on the project page here!

Keep in mind that not every single part is available at Mouser. Make sure you go through the Google Drive BoM line by line and ensure you've sourced each part!

http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=mutant-clap-diy-project
Feed
Can't poll but put me down for two full kits.
regenbot
Does the thonkiconn jacks work with Mutant DIY?
hexinverter
regenbot wrote:
Does the thonkiconn jacks work with Mutant DIY?

It looks to me like they would fit since they are reportedly the same footprint as Kobiconn, just with a ground lead already soldered! But I have not tested.
regenbot
Thought so, don't have them yet myself. I think the gnd hole on the pcb's might be too small. Maybe make it bit bigger on future modules thumbs up

hexinverter wrote:

It looks to me like they would fit since they are reportedly the same footprint as Kobiconn, just with a ground lead already soldered! But I have not tested.
Eloc
How does the "reverb" circuit work, if you don't mind me asking? I've looked for a 909 clap schematic that includes this section but I cant find one. I'm assuming it's some kind of analog trickery that just happens to give a reverb-like sound to a noise source, but wouldn't give such a reverb-like sound to other audio signals (but would perhaps give an equally, if not more, interesting effect anyway).

I've voted for 1x euro kit, I'll also grab a Galilean Moons kit if they're going when this arrives.

Also, is the vcNOIZ SMT kit available at all? I can only find 'universal' through hole PCB on your site.
hexinverter
Eloc wrote:
How does the "reverb" circuit work, if you don't mind me asking? I've looked for a 909 clap schematic that includes this section but I cant find one. I'm assuming it's some kind of analog trickery that just happens to give a reverb-like sound to a noise source, but wouldn't give such a reverb-like sound to other audio signals (but would perhaps give an equally, if not more, interesting effect anyway).

I've voted for 1x euro kit, I'll also grab a Galilean Moons kit if they're going when this arrives.

Also, is the vcNOIZ SMT kit available at all? I can only find 'universal' through hole PCB on your site.

The simulated reverb effect is in the original 909 schematic. I cannot take credit for that very clever feature innovation myself smile

They definitely do not call it anything on the schematic though, so that's probably why you're not seeing it pop out at you. Actually the TR-909 handclap only had a volume control, and nothing to actually sculpt the sound whatsoever. So basically there's a lot going on in the circuit that isn't really made readily apparent at first glance.

What is a typical reverb effect doing actually? Well, it's simulating the effect a room has on a sound which occurs in that room. A room's reverberative properties can be mimicked by a bandpass filtered version of the sound, whose volume is controlled by an envelope that slightly lags the envelope of the initial sound being reverberated.

The TR-909 very cleverly exploited this fact by doing exactly that smile

So the reverb effect in the Mutant Clap is a bandpass filter tuned to a specific frequency, feeding a VCA with a delayed envelope. The "reverb" envelope's tail is voltage controlled, and that forms the reverb tail.

Putting other signals in will also achieve a similar sounding effect, as long as they're quite percussive! The effect is pretty interesting. I highly recommend not only using the Mutant Clap for clap sounds -- I have a lot of fun jamming other signals into it, as it's basically a strange synth/FX voice when you plug other audio sources in.

The vcNOIZ SMT kit is discontinued now unfortunately! Sorry about that!
hexinverter
regenbot wrote:
Thought so, don't have them yet myself. I think the gnd hole on the pcb's might be too small. Maybe make it bit bigger on future modules thumbs up

Thanks for the tip! I've never used the Thonkiconn jacks so didn't even think of making a footprint for them.

I adjusted my PCB footprint to work better with the Thonkiconn jacks now. If I need to make a second PCB prototype (ie: there are errors in the ones I already ordered), then, these PCBs will feature the new footprint.

Otherwise, my next projects will have the new footprint thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5