MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack format sequencer modules / 5U (MU or MOTM synth)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Eurorack format sequencer modules / 5U (MU or MOTM synth)
VOLTA
Ive been thinking about building a dedicated case with sequencer modules in eurorack format. Can i drive my dotcom or other MU/MOTM synth modules with these sequencers? Can this be done or will there be mismatch going on?
JohnLRice
I think a majority of eurorack sequencers will work fine with a majority of 5U modules but there are likely some that wont or at least work but be problematic. This is true with even mono-format systems though, meaning not all 5U modules work perfectly with all other 5U modules and the same goes for eurorack. So, you really need to look at each module and research if there are compatibility or other issues with it.

As "proof" that it can work well hihi here is a eurorack sequencer driving a 5U modular 8_)
kindredlost
Just as JLR said, MOST of the time everything works fine between formats but occasionally there is a low voltage or gate level which might cause some poor action. That is where having a few voltage function modules like a signal processor etc., are extra handy. I think most people don't have nearly enough of these utility modules and usually concentrate on the more flashy fare.
The Disquiet
I too combine Euro sequencers (Klee, ER-101) with 5U. Works fine!

If you want you can get a Hinton Trimmer to scale CV between the formats
VOLTA
Thanks for the replies.

So how can i determine if it will work and what specifications should i look at?
When reading about the intellijel metropolis it doesnt say anything about voltage or gate level. Maybe its in the manual, i can try downloading it.
Beside from this is it other specs i should be aware of and look for to minimise the risk of mismatch?
The Disquiet
I think the Metropolis CV and gate will transfer without problems to 5U. But the Hinton Trimmer might be a good utility module to get:

http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/modular/trimmer/index.htm

As you can see he can make them with mini-jack and jack connections. This way you can scale signals between the formats if necessary
Cat-A-Tonic
Aside from level boosters and attenuators,
I find a comparator invaluable for correcting mismatched gates and triggers.

I usually use Blacet's Window Comparator or I/O for this.
Doepfer A-189 will also work in a pinch.
There are other options too.
SynthmonkE
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I am currently in the process of figuring out how to combine both MU and eurorack components. I'm fairly green in this environment, so I am seeking guidance before i do something I'll regret.

My goal is to mix both full scale and euro modules in a singular setup. Is it necessary to have a trimmer when converting between formats? I have been considering one of the .com conversion modules or even just getting bulk cable size converters, but after reading this and a few other posts, I am concerned about the jump between something +15v and +12v-- especially since I am using an expertsleepers module to get everything in/out of my DAW.

Additionally, do you guys also happen to know an efficient method of using a +15v PSU to convert and power +12v euro modules? For convenience, it would be easier to use a single PSU.
Sugarfree
+15V vs +12V is only a concern if you want to power both formats from the same PSU. OTOH, the output voltages vary between manufacturers in both formats, so it shouldn't be more difficult to work with two formats rather than only one. (except the cable size difference).
Klangzaun
Don't worry about Metropolis and 5U. I am using Metropolis with CotK, Moon Modular, Synthesizers.com and Krisp1(Oakley) 5U/MU Modules without problems. Works fine.

Gate length can be set on Metropolis.
pugix
I patch between Eurorack and 5U all the time and seldom have problems. I made my own 1/4 inch to miniplug patch cables. I do not like 'format jumblers' that have sets of both kinds of jacks. Twice as many cables are needed and all have to pass through a physical choke point.
ppkstat
pugix wrote:
I made my own 1/4 inch to miniplug patch cables.

I am considering making some on my own. What mini-/jacks an cable did you use?
pugix
ppkstat wrote:
pugix wrote:
I made my own 1/4 inch to miniplug patch cables.

I am considering making some on my own. What mini-/jacks an cable did you use?

http://pugix.com/synth/making-patch-cables/

I ordered more Switchcraft 250 1/4 inch plugs recently and noticed that the price has really hiked up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1