MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tuner pedal for live ? (visible in dark, chromatic)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Tuner pedal for live ? (visible in dark, chromatic)
clusterchord
hi guys,

on gigs, we often improvise scores to experimental film and other things. so there are normal, tonal sequenced parts, but some are completely amorph where i "play" with tune knob on 258J or System 100, and wonder off into psyhedelic ambient mess, and back.

when its a lead sound its no problem to do it by ear, but with background and bass sounds it can get tricky to hear where you are exactly, if other players are doing something intense. or your monitoring sucks. so, i would like to have continous visual information showing where i am, so i can choose the target pitch with more ease and precision.

can you recommend me a small pedal or gadget that is chromatic and has nice visual representation of notes (ie. A4, D#5 etc) that works in total dark, and with decent accuracy?

obviously ones with microphone inputs only wont work. i need line input, so i can mult the output of any oscillator to it. i was planning on velcroing it to the top lid of my case.

thanks
DonaldCrunk
I just use a simple boss tU2, a beat up one that ive had for years. Im sure theres better models out there, i dont think it shows the octave though? I dont quite remember. It does take raw modular signal fine which is nice, though the LEDs arent the brightest anymore.

Something i started doing that may or may not work for you - i used to do the same thing, play 1/v octave melodic stuff and then go crazy with the oscillator tune knob for a while, then retune. This proved troublesome because i had to disconnect the 1/v octave, any FM modulation and then attempt to retune onstage - and the DPO has notoriously touchy tuning controls.

What i do now when im ready to go for some pitch sweeps and other shenanigans with the osc pitch is to disconnect the 1/v octave input and just patch in a bipolar variable voltage source - i have a tile that does this, but of course a center channel of MATHs will and any other module that outputs a static voltage + an attenuverter. This allows freeform craziness in whatever pitch you require, then just repatch your quantizer or whatever back into 1/v octave when youre done, no retuning required.

Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesnt, but its saved me a little stress onstage smile
clusterchord
thanks i went to checkout the Boss unit, that might work nicely.. i might pickup the newer TU3, its just a tad more accurate.

btw i had these things separate so far, things that got sequenced were regular synths like sh101 or a6, and euro is dedicated to freestyle never used v/oct inputs, so i havent run into the problem you describe yet. but i might... just got qunexus for the euro and will try to incorporate that too.

but im thinking, wouldnt the tuner save me? if i have remembered what my defualt pitch was for the given oscillator, i could always return to that one, prior to continuing with 1v/oct input from qunexus, or a sequencer..
DonaldCrunk
clusterchord wrote:
thanks i went to checkout the Boss unit, that might work nicely.. i might pickup the newer TU3, its just a tad more accurate.

btw i had these things separate so far, things that got sequenced were regular synths like sh101 or a6, and euro is dedicated to freestyle never used v/oct inputs, so i havent run into the problem you describe yet. but i might... just got qunexus for the euro and will try to incorporate that too.

but im thinking, wouldnt the tuner save me? if i have remembered what my defualt pitch was for the given oscillator, i could always return to that one, prior to continuing with 1v/oct input from qunexus, or a sequencer..

yeah i'm sure the TU3 is a lot better, but again there is no shortage of chromatic guitar pedal tuners to check out.

regarding the use of the tuner though - i think it would be fine if you don't have FM going on your oscillator and you haven't got anything plugged into the 1/v octave input - tune away. the problem i ran into was having a sequencer running, then at some point i would manipulate my tune knobs manually and introduce FM.

When i went to retune, the sequencer would be holding on the last step played, forcing me to disconnect the sequencer from the 1/v octave input in order for the oscillator to sound it's "true" pitch. Next, i had to remove all FM modulation that i had going (tuners apparently don't like frequency modulation haha). And finally (and this can sometimes be irritating) i had to open the signal path - VCAs, filters etc so as to let a constant tone through to the tuner ( i had my tuner hooked up at the output).

Now you want to multi an oscillator output directly to the tuner, which removes one of the issues i had - the "constant tone" issue. However, you'll still have to disconnect any pitch information you have going to the oscillator to tune it as well as any FM. seeing as you have a 258 in your system i'd expect you'd be doing a lot of FM, so that can be a little bit of a pain.

i hope that's a better explanation. by sticking a static voltage source into an attenuverter then into the 1/v octave input of the oscillator, i never fiddle with the tune knob of the oscillator and no readjustment is required when i'm ready to go back to the land of melody.

again, you may not find this even necessary - some modules have 'looser' pots than others and are more difficult to retune, and with so many instruments onstage you've got a lot of sound to cover you while you take time to retune. I live and die by just a few modules so i don't have that luxury in a live situation! wish i did!

I actually blame you for my weirdness about tuning, back in the Harmony Central days (definitely a few years ago, i was called "scenicsquare" then) you called me out for having a minimoog part in a weird pop song i wrote out of tune, it's made me super paranoid about tuning ever since. I couldn't hear it, but you were totally right. w00t
clusterchord
DonaldCrunk wrote:
I actually blame you for my weirdness about tuning, back in the Harmony Central days (definitely a few years ago, i was called "scenicsquare" then) you called me out for having a minimoog part in a weird pop song i wrote out of tune, it's made me super paranoid about tuning ever since. I couldn't hear it, but you were totally right. w00t

ahh but of course, i remember you from those days.. it's a small world. i even commented on some of your live work on GS drone thread, not knowing that was you. jesus how time flies. its been more than ten yrs ive been procrastinating on them forums. i hope i wasn't a prick about the tuning ... Mr. Green

thanks for the explanation on the issues with fm and sequencer.

so far the controls on 258J are very smooth but solid in retaining position where you left it off. well see,, i'm waiting for the audio damage sequencer to become avail, and then i'll have more on-hand situation, and have yet to incorporate QuNexus and Doepfer RM Ribbon into all this.

cheers
Steevio
I use an old Boss TU12, and its super accurate and perfect in a dark environment. (i play live in very dark clubs)

i hook it up to an auxilliary on my mixer, so that i can send any of the many outputs to the tuner. (i run about 8 VCOs, which create many different types of sounds, but the tuner can always pick up the fundmental even if its being FM'd, filtered etc..
If the FM is extreme, it will often pick up the frequency of the modulator VCO
razorblade
I use a Sonic Research ST200 - stomp box size strobe tuner - had it for 8 years- it's bulletproof and extremely accurate. I also use the Peterson strobe tuner on my Iphone for quick and dirty stuff.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/pages/manual-st2.htm
twincities
razorblade wrote:
I use a Sonic Research ST200 - stomp box size strobe tuner - had it for 8 years- it's bulletproof and extremely accurate.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/pages/manual-st2.htm

i use the ST200 in my studio. quickest, most accurate tuner i've ever touched. for the same price range as the boss/other generic guitar tuner pedals, i think it's a no brainer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1