MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What's up with ADDAC's customer service?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author What's up with ADDAC's customer service?
meatbeatz
I have a faulty (from factory) ADDAC207 and cannot get a response from ADDAC on how to remedy the situation. I have tried getting in touch via email, skype and PM.

Has anyone had contact with ADDAC recently?

seriously, i just don't get it
Fastus
Count me among the waiting customers. What's going on ?
Riggar
I do know that Andre was poorly lately - this as a result of my order emails to and from. Hope he's ok?
meatbeatz
According to ADDAC's website and facebook page ADDAC are still in business having just announced new products..

It looks like they are more invested in attracting new sales than servicing existing customers.

I've been more than patient in waiting for a reply, trust me. This thread is a last resort.

EDIT: If Andre is unable to reply to messages he should at least say so either on Muff's, or on his website/facebook page. Surely easier than having to answer to a bunch of annoyed customers?

There were known issues with the 207 that had been apparently fixed in later serial #'s (I'm gathering this by the fact that only modules with a serial # below 70ish needed updating). Due to a bunch of customers complaining that their 207's were buggy, Andre offered a clunky firmware update that not only didn't fix the problem but was an absolute PITA to install. That's all fair enough but what happens next I take issue with: the guy says, here's an app to install the firmware... and then he dissapears! He hasn't posted since admitting there's still bugs..

If he was ill or had personal issues, all it would of taken is for him to tell someone to post on his behalf that's he's out of action for a while. Fuck, I had a stroke last week and I still managed to keep my waiting customers informed in ER. Though we know this is not the case for Andre as he's been busy developing/launching new product.

I believe I am well within my rights to be pissed off. I have a module I paid for two years that's no good to me. Thing is I really want the 207 to work as it should. On paper it's the perfect quantizer for me and it's because of this that I'm still open to accepting a valid excuse, it'd just want to be a good one. If ADDAC had replied to my messages I'd not have aired this in public, which tbh is demoralizing for me to do.
Etan
He seems to be active on Facebook, last post was 4 hours ago...
Hirsbro
I support this thread, though I promised myself that I would waste no more time, energy OR money on this module very frustrating
abdul6
Well, as I got no response here from Addac, I decided to take another quantizer.
Thanks to my shop, they are very nice and comprehensive, they accept a refund - my Addac was 7 months and mint outside (though totally bugged inside)...

...end of the Addac adventures for me. Two months ago I was thinking to pick up some filters and mixers, but I changed my mind after this big disapointment,

too bad
monads
Well this isn't good. I was on board with picking up a few of their modules like the 502, 503, 802....but this posting is making me abandon the idea.

I don't get the more active on Facebook and ignoring your customer base??? seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
gottberg
This is not good.

I bought the 42hp mini case from ADDAC and it was not working - they connected the wrong leads from the jack to the distribution board... obviously no one there bothered to test it before shipping it out.
I had it fixed locally on my expense and never contacted them about this cause I didn't think it was worth the fuss.

I was thinking about buying the 206 switch because of its feature set but reading this thread honestly I don't anymore.
monads
This is great, no response or update to this thread from ADDAC???? Come on, what's the latest???? I want to buy their stuff confused
artisokka
monads wrote:
This is great, no response or update to this thread from ADDAC???? Come on, what's the latest???? I want to buy their stuff confused


Well... I used to lust after several of their modules (especially the quantizer). No response made me change my mind... sad banana

Really surprised about the silence from their side. This definetely is not the way to handle this kind of situations. zombie
dropthedyle
i successfuly bought a 206 switch and a 703 mixer last week. i had a direct answer to my mail order. i also was able to contact Andre by FB...
meatbeatz
dropthedyle wrote:
i successfuly bought a 206 switch and a 703 mixer last week. i had a direct answer to my mail order. i also was able to contact Andre by FB...


If you're able to get hold of him could you notify him of this thread?
meatbeatz
double!!
meatbeatz
triple!!!
meatbeatz
quadruple!!!! zombie

now my phone wants in on the action confused
monads
dropthedyle wrote:
i successfuly bought a 206 switch and a 703 mixer last week. i had a direct answer to my mail order. i also was able to contact Andre by FB...


Regarding direct contact.....maybe because it was a 'sales order' and not a 'service inquiry' on a previously purchased item??? lol

That's what prompted this thread, a last ditch effort since service inquiries to ADDAC have received radio silence.........I'm scared to buy their stuff if 6mos-2yrs later a module doesn't function properly and I find myself on the same abandoned island other's are currently in.
etherline
dropthedyle wrote:
i successfuly bought a 206 switch and a 703 mixer last week. i had a direct answer to my mail order. i also was able to contact Andre by FB...


Did you get any email confirmation of your order after you paid?
ADDAC System
Dear all,

Hope everyone is well.

Sorry it took me this long to get back to all of you, I'd like to apologize for not doing it sooner and telling you that we never did and never will put aside any customer service, while at the moment the quantizer is the exception to this.
This pertains to the fact that, as we haven't yet found any development to the situations that have come to our attention, it would be unnecessary to elude you with unnecessary replies.

Please bear in mind that none of your contacts has been forgotten.

Also, we'd like to ask you to understand that we are a very small team and these last months have been ultra busy. Literally, if i would stopped my schedule to handle the 207 issues at this time, ADDAC could easily slip into an unruly mess!

We absolutely warrant there's no lack of goodwill in both our efforts of bringing you new stuff, as helping you cope with matters pertaining to our modules.
We have been replying and giving customer support for any other modules besides 207 firmware issues which for now it's still at the same stage as our last firmware update. We're planning on re-programming the whole firmware from scratch in the next months.

Hoping for your best understanding!

all the very best
andre
READYdot
Andre, I have sent you my 207, some time ago and haven't heard news from you?
Fastus
While I appreciate finally hearing something, it isn't exactly good news that the whole firmware needs to be re-written. Certainly this means the resale value of this module just hit zero, while it's useability in the meantime isn't much better.

And now, even more waiting...
etherline
ADDAC System wrote:


Please bear in mind that none of your contacts has been forgotten.
..
Hoping for your best understanding!

all the very best
andre


I'm sure everyone understands the pressures a small business works under and wishes you well, but you understand the principle of handshaking in communication protocols. You might know that you have received our communications but we don't know that you received our communications or our money or our modules unless you respond. I would respectfully ask that you bear that in mind. It is important to communicate with your customers.
Ginko
I'm really confused as to where the 207 is at - I have been planning on getting one, but was put off by the original problem and I thought that new ones from ADDAC had new firmware and old ones could be upgraded, with a bit of a workaround - is it fixed or not, or is there a separate issue?
meatbeatz
ADDAC System wrote:
This pertains to the fact that, as we haven't yet found any development to the situations that have come to our attention, it would be unnecessary to elude you with unnecessary replies.


Andre, this equates to ignoring your customers. Since when was replying to a customers multiple calls for help unnecessary? I wasn't asking to be eluded, all I wanted to know was if you DO actually intend on fixing the firmware or whether it will be left as is. I highly doubt ADDAC Systems would've fallen into disarray if you'd taken 2 minutes to update the 207 thread.

ADDAC System wrote:
We absolutely warrant there's no lack of goodwill in both our efforts of bringing you new stuff, as helping you cope with matters pertaining to our modules.


Please tell me, if ignoring your customers is not a lack of goodwill then what is it? I'm not interested in your efforts to release new stuff while you ignore your existing customers.

ADDAC System wrote:
We're planning on re-programming the whole firmware from scratch in the next months.


I think you owe it to 207 owners (and prospective buyers seeing as it's still for sale) to make this a priority.

Personally for me the most important thing is for the 207 to accurately quantize to the selected scale on receipt of a gate/trigger, on all four channels simultaneously and with no glitches or interaction between channels. I can do without all the other features (micro-tuning etc.).
Paranormal Patroler
I'm flabbergasted by the torch-ready responses I read. zombie Common' guys, don't you see how everybody is mishandling the situation here? I own a 207 myself and I'm equally dissapointed by its non-working status but lets take a step back and face some facts before things do get uglier. (By the way, I'm in no way affiliated with ADDAC Systems other than being supportive of their products 'cause I own quite a lot of their modules)

a) ADDAC fucked up the communication. A bad move, we can all agree to that. Non-responsiveness does not help in any way and claiming replies are "unnecessary" is a no no as well.

b) The only module that reportedly has an issue is the 207. Apart from wiggler gottberg facing issues with his case (and not contacting Andre about it) nobody else had any issues with any other modules as far as this thread is concerned. If that is the case and Andre wasn't responsive to that please be specific of your problem. Claiming that ADDAC products can turn sour down the road is total bullshit and people who post this shit need to grow the fuck up immediately. I own a lot of ADDAC modules and I never had any issue (207 not withstanding). Be fucking responsible with what you post. Eurorack is small business, its not the first time a manufacturer runs into a problem, we've been through this shit before. If you are dissuaded by the lack of responsiveness vote with your money and shut up.

c) Saying that, ADDAC is indeed a small business. This means ADDAC people need to get paid so making new products and selling stuff is top priority in order for ADDAC to stay alive. What about your 207? Buhuhu! If the company goes bankrupt your 207 gets fuck-all resale value and nobody wins. So being patient but staying vigilant is the best way to handle this.

d) Andre just promised a 207 overhaul, which is much much better than getting nothing at all. It sucks not having the 207 do what we were promised it would do and shame on ADDAC for releasing it before bug-testing it extensively. But now its in our cases and its still a very useful quantizer as it is. Have you even tried working with the module and not use the triggers for the rest of the channels? The 207 is much more advanced than anything out there right now. Did you only pay for that functionality? Hell no! Should we get what was advertised? Hell yes! But going crazy doesn't help. Be precise in your accusations. I'm not saying we're not right, I'm saying that losing our calm helps nobody.


So let's start suggestions instead of going for flaming. What needs to be done? How can we handle it as customers? My personal suggestions:

a) ADDAC gets its act together and specifies an approximate date for the release of the new firmware. We need to know when we can expect it. No excuses, no bullshit.

b) Customers need to be kept up-to-date on the revision. No feature-creeping for the new firmware to get this thing out as fast as possible, but keeping us up-to-date means people are more patient. Keeping us in the dark means flaming.

c) No new 207 should be sold in the meantime. Selling a buggy module is unethical.

d) An ADDAC official post needs to be made about the 207 reprogramming and people should post there. We only focus on the 207 and we keep it civil, raining complaints directly to ADDAC only stalls things for all of us.

e) If more people complains pile up Andre needs to give replies in that thread. But do know that getting the ADDAC mastermind to spend time on replies stalls firmware update. Saying that, Andre, keeping people in the dark is the worst possible thing you can do. Remember the Plan B situation?


I am a firm believer that we can get good results out of this.
loopt
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
If you are dissuaded by the lack of responsiveness vote with your money and shut up.

This is a forum on the internet and it is for discussing things. That includes stating personal opinions.
I don't think you are in the position to tell people to shut up.
Paranormal Patroler
loopt wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
If you are dissuaded by the lack of responsiveness vote with your money and shut up.

This is a forum on the internet and it is for discussing things. That includes stating personal opinions.
I don't think you are in the position to tell people to shut up.


Sometimes people need to be reminded of the power of their posts. Making unstated claims about the quality of a manufacturer based on a personal assessment can and has* started a downward spiral - will this help anybody? I think not. Its easier for people to read that ADDAC is shit and believe it, than it is for posters to point out that the negativism is not-withstanding. I stand by my words: post responsibly.


-edit-

Just felt the need to say I'm against fanboyism as well. I have no personal gain out of "protecting" ADDAC other than trying to keep things civil all around (as is my responsibility) and trying to get a new firmware out for the 207. It might be the case that my passionate writing has got the best of me, so I want to make clear that my posts are not a personal attack on anybody (unless stated as such). My intention is not to offend but merely to awaken.



*Apart from the PlanB insident there have been several occasions were people start massively dissing on the quality of a certain manufacturer just because one module out of a numerous line turned sour by bad design
loopt
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
loopt wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
If you are dissuaded by the lack of responsiveness vote with your money and shut up.

This is a forum on the internet and it is for discussing things. That includes stating personal opinions.
I don't think you are in the position to tell people to shut up.


Sometimes people need to be reminded of the power of their posts. Making unstated claims about the quality of a manufacturer based on a personal assessment can and has started a downward spiral for sales - will this help anybody? I think not. Its easier for people to read that ADDAC is shit and believe it than it is for posters to point out that the negativism is non-withstanding. I stand by my words.

The power of posting on the internet combined with the power to vote with our money is basically all we have as consumers. So why not exercise it?
Also, this forum is already chock full with posts raving about the quality of ADDAC modules.
I'm not saying that basic rules of netiquette and style shouldn't be enforced, but calling facts for what they are should be allowed.

Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Just felt the need to say I'm against fanboyism as well. I have no personal gain out of "protecting" ADDAC other than trying to keep things civil all around and trying to get a new firmware for the 207. It might be the case that my passionate writings has got the best of me and I want to say that my posts are not a personal attack to anybody (unless stated as such). My intention is not to offend.

Fair enough.
I just felt a little offended when you told people to shut up. I do not own any ADDAC products and I have no axe to grind in this thread.
Paranormal Patroler
loopt wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Just felt the need to say I'm against fanboyism as well. I have no personal gain out of "protecting" ADDAC other than trying to keep things civil all around and trying to get a new firmware for the 207. It might be the case that my passionate writings has got the best of me and I want to say that my posts are not a personal attack to anybody (unless stated as such). My intention is not to offend.

Fair enough.
I just felt a little offended when you told people to shut up. I do not own any ADDAC products and I have no axe to grind in this thread.


I apologize if I have offended you; it was not my intention. If I could rewrite that sentence it would now say: shut up (and think before you post) Hug
flo
Just a suggestion to Andre... Since you're rewriting the firmware anyways: I had the impression that much of the bugs had to do with the innovative feature of being able to quantize negative CV. If that's indeed the case, maybe add an option to turn this off, so negative CV gets ignored (like in all other quantizers) and thus there's no problem with a 0V input at quantizer 1... Not sure whether it would help, just an idea.

Apart from that, all ADDAC that I have is top notch high quality stuff and I intend to buy more of it. The 207 is high on my list, looking forward to updates.
meatbeatz
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'm flabbergasted by the torch-ready responses I read. zombie Common' guys, don't you see how everybody is mishandling the situation here? I own a 207 myself and I'm equally dissapointed by its non-working status but lets take a step back and face some facts before things do get uglier. (By the way, I'm in no way affiliated with ADDAC Systems other than being supportive of their products 'cause I own quite a lot of their modules)


207 owners are annoyed at the lack of communication. Other than that, what's to be flabbergasted about? I paid for this module over two years ago and now I'm kicking up a stink. If I hadn't I doubt we'd have a response.

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Claiming that ADDAC products can turn sour down the road is total bullshit and people who post this shit need to grow the fuck up immediately.


Where are you getting this from? The only issues I'm aware of are a) the 207 and b) lack of communication.

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I own a lot of ADDAC modules and I never had any issue (207 not withstanding). Be fucking responsible with what you post. Eurorack is small business, its not the first time a manufacturer runs into a problem, we've been through this shit before. If you are dissuaded by the lack of responsiveness vote with your money and shut up.


I did not start this thread do dissuade anyone. I started it to get ADDAC's attention since he's been ignoring me for months on end. If people are put off by that it's up to them.

I'm a manufacturer also albeit on a much smaller scale. Up until recently I've kept my mouth shut regards the long winding road that is the 207 due to this. After being ignored for months I am now bringing it to the forum as my only means of getting through. All of this could've been avoided. I've bought two arduino UNO's and spent countless hours troubleshooting the 207. No major drama.. I take this as part and parcel of building a euro rig. All I wanted to know is whether it was worth my while persevering (ie: WILL there be a fix?). If not, at least I could put it behind me. I've always maintained a fully functioning 207 is worth hanging out for. I'm glad to hear new firmware is planned and that a happy ending is in sight (fingers crossed).

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Have you even tried working with the module and not use the triggers for the rest of the channels?


Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Did you only pay for that functionality? Hell no! Should we get what was advertised? Hell yes! But going crazy doesn't help.


I wouldn't have bought the 207 if it didn't have trigger inputs.

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
a) ADDAC gets its act together and specifies an approximate date for the release of the new firmware. We need to know when we can expect it. No excuses, no bullshit.

b) Customers need to be kept up-to-date on the revision. No feature-creeping for the new firmware to get this thing out as fast as possible, but keeping us up-to-date means people are more patient. Keeping us in the dark means flaming.

c) No new 207 should be sold in the meantime. Selling a buggy module is unethical.

d) An ADDAC official post needs to be made about the 207 reprogramming and people should post there. We only focus on the 207 and we keep it civil, raining complaints directly to ADDAC only stalls things for all of us.

e) If more people complains pile up Andre needs to give replies in that thread. But do know that getting the ADDAC mastermind to spend time on replies stalls firmware update. Saying that, Andre, keeping people in the dark is the worst possible thing you can do. Remember the Plan B situation?

I am a firm believer that we can get good results out of this.


I completely agree with all of this. Thanks for bringing something constructive to the thread.
If you think my bringing this to the board was crazy or otherwise, we can exchange emoticons via PM. SMACK!
Paranormal Patroler
meatbeatz wrote:
I completely agree with all of this. Thanks for bringing something constructive to the thread.
If you think my bringing this to the board was crazy or otherwise, we can exchange emoticons via PM. SMACK!


I think this thread is created under a fair light and I'm happy that it stirred a response by ADDAC. Although I guiltily enjoy the spank emoticon, we should keep this thread going in a constructive manner so please allow me to answer

Agony!
Fastus
I think it's important not to forget the narrative before getting upset at customers being upset.

A module was released with buggy untested software - followed by a buggy untested firmware update that nobody could install & that required purchase of additional hardware. A request that future modules should be more easily update-able was denied with a declaration that "the code must be written right to begin with" - a noble sentiment that ignores the immediate reality.

All this was exacerbated by an absence of communication instead of any kind of helpful dialogue - it seemed like we just bought an expensive lemon and are stuck with it.

I don't think I'd be in Eurorack if this was a typical experience, and I don't think anybody would have bought this module if they knew this would happen.

This is a fairly forgiving crowd here at MFW - I think it's entirely misplaced to be angry at customers who have every right to be upset by this whole experience.
NS4W
I've had good communication with André, and I managed to install the firmware updates after a few tries. It still has some remaining flaws to be sorted out. That said, I'm glad they are back on track and replying to bug reports thumbs up

I second the need for a function to bypass Q1 influence on the Q2,3 and 4.
Paranormal Patroler
I promised myself I won't get into a debate in order to avoid derailing this thread in any way. But your reply is very courteous and civilized so I cannot help but answer the points you raised to show my gratitude towards your toned down vibe.

Quote:
A module was released with buggy untested software - followed by a buggy untested firmware update that nobody could install & that required purchase of additional hardware. A request that future modules should be more easily update-able was denied with a declaration that "the code must be written right to begin with" - a noble sentiment that ignores the immediate reality.


Personally I find that ADDAC's response regarding the update was ok. Obviously the fix is not in par with what we are expecting (disclaimer: I have yet to upgrade my 207 so I really don't know if indeed this firmware fixes any bugs but I'll accept that it does not for the sake of the argument) but the hardware design of the module did not anticipate the need for a firmware replacement and ADDAC gave this cumbersome solution as DIY option. Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't there an option to ship the module back to ADDAC to get it fixed?


Quote:
All this was exacerbated by an absence of communication instead of any kind of helpful dialogue - it seemed like we just bought an expensive lemon and are stuck with it. I don't think I'd be in Eurorack if this was a typical experience, and I don't think anybody would have bought this module if they knew this would happen. I think it's entirely misplaced to be angry at customers who have every right to be upset by this whole experience.


I'm happy to read that you haven't had any bad experiences with any other manufacturer before but it so happens that I have and some of troubles I've run into deemed modules unusable. One time I had to wait for a specific manufacturer to ship me a replacement board. It took a very long time to get this done and said manufacturer still thinks it was my fault that his module broke down out of the blue and claims I plugged the power backwards, which was not the case. Shit happens all the time in Euroland - not being aggravated about it doesn't mean we're forgiving, just patient. Additionally stating that your sour lemon doesn't amount to nothing is a null point as: a) there is plenty of functionality in that module to overshadow any other quantizer out there right now b) you can always ask for a refund

As I said to meatbeatz my post's intent was not to undermine the fair disappointment voiced by owners of the 207. Do not forget that I am also an owner of the 207 module, so in a sense "I'm with you guys". What I'm trying to avoid is reading more posts that make very strong logical fallacies: yes, the lack of communication from Andre is what has given rise to the voice of dissent and there is no good enough excuse for that. I won't allow my fanboy status to cloud my better judgement, but I will not stand by when I read claims that ADDAC modules might break down in the near future and Andre won't give a shit about it. This has not been the case for every other ADDAC module up until now and stating that this single precedent sets the tone of how ADDAC operates is not right and shouldn't be tolerated. Has anyone tried communicating with Andre about any other issues? If so please state the case, that's what I said before and I'll say it again.

Do not undermine the flame-mentality that can be driven by these occasions. This thread is in good standing and has reached a good conclusion, ADDAC took the cry to heart and will be working on making a stable firmware. Let's drive our point across by being constructive about it and making suggestions or by posting about specific bugs we encounter.
Riggar
Well I’m with Paranormal on this. Let’s keep it civil and reasonably constructive – the salient points have been well made – and hopefully, taken note of. We ALL really do want to have the 207 working as intended.

Given it’s now recognised that the 207 needs re-written firmware – that’s a pretty tough call in anybody’s book – to get to that point – you’ve got to have gone through all the possible permutations. So we need to face this together, a re-write is never easy, never smooth and there may be some angst along the way. But hopefully we’ll get there and that’ll be a good day!
Fastus
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't there an option to ship the module back to ADDAC to get it fixed?

Being stateside, I rather thought this would be a non-starter due to shipping /insurance costs. What I had hoped was that Andre would supply a timely solution to US distributors. As it is, I'm near Control Brooklyn, but I understand communication has been 'sporadic' at best.

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
a) there is plenty of functionality in that module to overshadow any other quantizer out there right now b) you can always ask for a refund


Actually the quantizer is at the shop awaiting a fix (which is only a tad better than being in Portugal awaiting a fix.) I would indeed take a refund if it was available, that was never explicitly stated.

If there's any silver lining, this incident pointed me to exploring the Arduino - it's just that when more experienced users were having difficulties even loading the update, I thought it best left to professionals.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm going for this: https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/usb-ttl-programmer/

I'm yet unsure whether the 207 uses PIC's but I'll have to check eventually. If that's the case I'll have to get an Arduino but that is never a bad thing. hihi
etherline
meatbeatz wrote:


Has anyone had contact with ADDAC recently?

seriously, i just don't get it


Today I received an (unprompted) update on the status of my order. I hope it is a sign that others will also receive some news on their enquiries.
stevenb
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'm going for this: https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/usb-ttl-programmer/

I'm yet unsure whether the 207 uses PIC's but I'll have to check eventually. If that's the case I'll have to get an Arduino but that is never a bad thing. hihi


I successfully updated my 207 on both Mac and PC using this adaptor:
http://www.frys.com/product/6997547
I did have to install the FTDI driver on both Mac & PC for it to work.

There was some confusion in the instructions about which way to hook up the wires from the programmer to the 207. What worked was hooking up my wires so Tx on the programmer went to Rx on the 207 and the RX on the programmer went to TX on the 207. The instructions said to hook up Rx to Rx and Tx to Tx. Andre had stated that this was proper wiring of you are using an Arduino to do the programming. I don't believe having the wires reversed could cause any damage.

The timing of turning on power to the module vs starting the download to the module was a little odd, but ultimately not a big deal. Andre's Mac programming app worked well for me.

I look forward to the next 207 update. I'm sure the code is fairly complicated. I suggest ADDAC take their time and do a thorough job. I do software/hardware QA for a living and have a good feel for the scope of their task.
meatbeatz
stevenb wrote:
The timing of turning on power to the module vs starting the download to the module was a little odd, but ultimately not a big deal. Andre's Mac programming app worked well for me.


With the Mac app did you connect the wires TX>RX and RX>TX or was this with the PC method? IIRC the wires were connected differently for the MAC app and PC method. Did you notice any improvement with the new firmware installed?
monads
I hope my postings weren't insinuating ADDAC modules would break in 6mos-2yrs timeframe. If so, I apologize. I was merely referring to the lack of communication, IF, something should go awry regardless of module reference.

My conclusion of this thread has brought back and I'm on board with my original ADDAC acquisition modules thumbs up
ADDAC System
Dear all,

We decided to create 2 new threads to follow this one:

For any Firmware upgrades related issues: errors, problems, connections, etc:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1689582#1689582

For any bug reporting on the latest Firmware (vs:J3):
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1689585#1689585


This way we'll be able to keep a record of FAQs that will help everyone in the process!


Regarding this thread and all the points that have been made, we will never be able to apologize enough for this whole situation.
The customer is always right, it was our fault and thanks for baring with us in this process. We learned a lot from it and will take extreme care so that this will not repeat itself!

We've been creating Eurorack modules for more than 5 years now, more than 10 have firmwares, and this is the only module that had bugs (apart from the obvious black sheeps here and there) we had never before needed to correct firmwares and totally trust our solutions.

I assume my bad communication, it's totally my fault here.
Somehow i believe it's in my blood, many times i go hermit on my workbench and fall into this black hole where i forget about the world.
I do this in order not to loose my train of thoughts, i get so deep in it that most times i stop only when i'm exhausted or starving, making breaks to eat and sleep only and this can go for days, weeks... So don't get me wrong, i take all our work very seriously, been working pretty much 6 to 7 days a week for more than 3 years now totally out of passion, driven by all your feedback! Still feeling strong, more knowledgeable that ever and more enthusiastic about it every day!
And while on personal matters i have to confess that i've fallen in love recently (<3) (it doesn't happen very often) and as it's expected this last couple months i didn't work as much as i regularly do. (shy)

Also would like to mention that although slowly but following all your feedback we've been improving this firmware upgrade process to a minimum of hassle on the user side.
Created and corrected our Upgrade Guide as more questions arise making it clearer. And created the OSX App for mac users, Win users already had one.

Regarding Firmware issues we've been reading through all threads and emails you all sent us and corrected everything you reported.
After all maybe re-writing everything won't be necessary yesterday i fixed the last couple issues reported. Most of the issues were logic special cases that had been overlooked at.

Thanks NS4W for all your valuable bug descriptions and new Firmware testing!
We know how bug report sometimes can be hard, it's mostly about finding an issue and being able to reproduce it at all times, so when something happens that you have a feeling that it's not right try looking for how it happened and see if you can reproduce the error again and again, then share it with us, if we can reproduce it here we can fix it asap!
This module works in such an intricate way and can be used in so many different ways that maybe it was optimism on our behalf to believe it was right the first time. It was not lack of testing but we just weren't looking at some sides of it when after all this is Eurorack land where no connection is wrong and should expect the unexpected from all users. We'll have more exhaustive testing in the future, that's for sure!

Regarding the firmware update process,most manufacturers use different platforms to develop their products, the solution we now offer is the easiest one possible for the platform we use in our developments, we couldn't have implemented it in any other way.
The good side of it is that the necessary Serial to USB hardware and the upgrade process can be used on ALL of our hybrid modules, old or new.

For future modules we'll keep using this same method but without the need to power the synth at the precise moment of pressing the upgrade firmware button, making it all far simpler, we know that sometimes the power on timing can be challenging, at least until you get a feel of it.
This solution was created only to avoid shipping the module back to us which, of course, is always the B option.

We're also now stocking tested Serial to USB devices and we'll ship it to our distributors in next weeks, Control already has one on it's way!

BTW. We haven't sold any 207 since the first major reports have appeared, even halted a whole batch that was in production!


Once again terribly sorry for this whole process and many thanks for baring with us!

all the very best
andre
stevenb
meatbeatz wrote:
stevenb wrote:
The timing of turning on power to the module vs starting the download to the module was a little odd, but ultimately not a big deal. Andre's Mac programming app worked well for me.


With the Mac app did you connect the wires TX>RX and RX>TX or was this with the PC method? IIRC the wires were connected differently for the MAC app and PC method. Did you notice any improvement with the new firmware installed?


The connecting of the wires has nothing to do with PC or MAC, but is determined by the hardware USB>TTL Breakout Board . In my case I used the same Breakout Board:
http://osepp.com/products/breakout-board/osepp-ftdi-breakout-board/
on both Mac and PC and in both cases the wiring was Tx > Rx and RX >Tx.

Steven
Summa
ADDAC System
thumbs up
meatbeatz
ADDAC System wrote:
And while on personal matters i have to confess that i've fallen in love recently (<3) (it doesn't happen very often) and as it's expected this last couple months i didn't work as much as i regularly do. (shy)


Say no more! love hihi

Thanks Andre. Nice to have you back. No hard feelings. thumbs up
meatbeatz
stevenb wrote:
The connecting of the wires has nothing to do with PC or MAC, but is determined by the hardware USB>TTL Breakout Board . In my case I used the same Breakout Board:
http://osepp.com/products/breakout-board/osepp-ftdi-breakout-board/
on both Mac and PC and in both cases the wiring was Tx > Rx and RX >Tx.


d'oh! Sorry I confused Mac/PC with USB>Serial/Arduino. I thought I read that the instructions had the connections the wrong way round for one or the other but this may have been corrected since. I may have even updated and not realized as there was no clear indicator of a successful update. Not to confuse matters anymore, I will erase all memory of my attempts to update the 207 and start afresh.
duck1887
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Apart from wiggler gottberg facing issues with his case (and not contacting Andre about it) nobody else had any issues with any other modules as far as this thread is concerned. If that is the case and Andre wasn't responsive to that please be specific of your problem


I bought a 601 in ... July was it? and had to send it back for repair, and have not heard back even after a couple of emails. I say this not to scold Andre but simply for reference. I accept Andre's explanation and send him my best wishes. All will be forgiven once I get Big Red back in my case again ... love
simonhold
So I just read this entire thread.
And I did so because I have yet to receive ANY response from ADDAC on any of my emails regarding the 207.

Whatever the case may be for not being able to, or choosing not to communicate with customers, I find it appalling to have to find out elsewhere, on my own incentive, that their might be reasonable reasons why I haven't received any response. At the very least an email response pointing towards the existence of this thread, or even forum would indicate ADDAC actually cares about their 207 users.

I don't want to have to browse several sub-forums to even get half a grasp on where ADDAC currently are with fixing this module, if all of that could be right there on their own website, their online home base. If you have a small company with a small team, consolidating your communication is a great time saver.

All I am really interested in knowing is when my ADDAC 207 will function as advertised and what steps I need to undertake to make that happen. And I want to find out about it from ADDAC via an email pointing to their ADDAC 207 page on their website. Where do I sign up for that?
simonhold
Hirsbro
simonhold wrote:
I am really interested in knowing is when my ADDAC 207 will function as advertised


Sorry to say but my best guess would be never, but its better working now than it was a year ago, tbh haven't used it much but I have tested it

simonhold wrote:
l00p
Oh great, I'm not the only one with no answer from addac. very frustrating

This is really really bad move..
synthysynth
Yeah, they're not the greatest. I got an 802 vca and 703 mixer. They were quick to respond when I was purchasing but then I had a couple of issues with the modules. One was definitely user error but either way they never got back to me about any of them.
dropthedyle
My point of view is very different. I have several of their modules and have never had problems to contact them.
My experience with their customer service was just perfect when i had a default with one of the mods.
DonKartofflo
Ive had entirely positive experiences with them both purchasing and, one time, troubleshooting a module which even was a beta.
Summa
+1, only good experience with all of the Addac people, they're pretty busy working and André is doing a LOT of the work by himself so if you don't get a reply in about a day or two just bump it as a reminder.
Paranormal Patroler
Summa wrote:
+1, only good experience with all of the Addac people, they're pretty busy working and André is doing a LOT of the work by himself so if you don't get a reply in about a day or two just bump it as a reminder.


+1, I've had exemplary communication with Andre. It's not always instant but you have to understand the time-schedule and effort that is needed to keep up with inundating tasks.
Fastus
Summa wrote:
+1, only good experience with all of the Addac people, they're pretty busy working and André is doing a LOT of the work by himself so if you don't get a reply in about a day or two just bump it as a reminder.


Well it's not like Dan Green or Tony Rolando have legions under their command, and I'm sure they're both busy guys besides - and they've supplied EXEMPLARY support & responsiveness, which is why I know I can invest in their modules with absolute confidence (look at the wonderful & complex Rene sequencer: ZERO firmware updates - that's a job done right!!)

ADDAC stuff ain't cheap, and as much as we admire our favorite designers, there's absolutely no excuse for absolute absence of support for the unfinished Quantizer that I paid almost $500 for. You'd really think that with so many users at sea, that Andre at some point would sit down, write a single ultimate firmware fix, and test it properly! rather than just kicking the can down the road with an unending stream of firmware updates.
erstlaub
Oh, I'm guessing my wife's website enquiry about ordering the bottom end of the price range P6 expansion kit for my xmas will probably not be dealt with anytime soon then.
Multi Grooves
very frustrating

Not had the chance to try any of their offerings but I have to say it again they are pathetic in the arena of customer service. I have a better chance of contacting Lord Lucan in the middle of playing connect4 against Elvis whilst riding the Lock Ness monster in Atlantis.

So far I've managed to get to 1 email per day from them. F*cking yay w00t

I don't know if there's a problem with my Skype but I'm getting the same error messages on my laptop as the newly downloaded app on my android. Beyond frustrating.
Multi Grooves
Andre is not the only member of staff there. In fact I'm not sure I've ever received anything from him directly...ever.


Looks the site maybe down: Everytime I try to visit I just get a drop down menu akin to when you download.

seriously, i just don't get it
flo
Multi Grooves wrote:
So far I've managed to get to 1 email per day from them. F*cking yay w00t


How many emails per day do you expect?
Multi Grooves
flo wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:
So far I've managed to get to 1 email per day from them. F*cking yay w00t


How many emails per day do you expect?

Hopefully it's not too much of an inconvenience to reply to customer request in a conversational style:

cust: Hi Can I buy that thing you sell?
addac: Sure
cust: In this color?
addac: .....

day 2
cust: Hello? In this color?
addac: yeah sure we have them in the following colors...
cust: Ooh, can I see this one?
addac......


day 3
cust: hello?! Can I see it in that color requested?
addac:.......

Day 4
cust: Hello? Anyone there?
addac: ......

Or am I 'busting their ballz, hans'?
erstlaub
Pretty mweh really.

My wife: Hi there, can I give you some money for my HB's Christmas present?

ADDAC: ...........

I get we're not dropping €€€€€€s on a fancy module or anything but the vaguest of responses would be nice. It's just rude.
Multi Grooves
So I finally made some headway. I wrote a bit of a direct email and got a reply from Andre. He informed me that the guy that I've been communicating with [in installments] only worked a few hours per day hence the staccato emails and that he himself was doing bigger things and couldn't get directly involved with the day-to-day emails (understably) and that he was sorry for the poor-to-date service.

I now have a 402 with a free silver custom (but with minor imperfections) faceplate in transit.

It doesn't have to be this way. If only they'd give straight forward honest answers, threads like this need not exist. But I am happy it's seemingly been resolved and look forward to trying my first ADDAC piece.
noisefor
I am the happy owner of two 111's and previous owner of a 401 (and always have eyes on more). I've had nothing but good experiences with ADDAC - always received responses to both sales and troubleshooting requests, and TOTALLY admire their innovative designs and contribution to Eurorack. Although responses may not have come seconds, or even a couple days after, I have never been left hanging.

That said, I have had really crappy customer support from the trendy manufacturers mentioned above, which has included at times total silence (requiring multiple follow-up emails). Ultimately though, I've never been burned by any of them, and have always been able to resolve shit outside the forum.
Riggar
Ordered a few bits and bobs early December - the Doepfer case extensions are super - stuff arrived 2 days ago. No problems.
pownie
Anybody know if anything's up with them these days?

I've been having troubles with a 701 VCO since february, and it's now more than three months later, and they still have my module in for repair, and they don't answer any of my mails?
flo
Just out of curiosity, what was the problem with your 701?
pownie
Not sure, really, but it didn't track properly. Even after calibration and all, the pitch seemed to randomly drift slowly even within minutes of calibration.
flo
Ok that's strange indeed. My pair has been rock solid from day one, never calibrated myself, even in different cases with different PSUs... Are you absolutely sure it was the oscs and not your CV source or something?
pownie
I think so, yes. It's a complex module to calibrate, apparently, so it might be something I couldn't fix myself anyways. But, problem is they don't answer, so I'm a little bit anxious about it all.
Aiyn Zahev
pownie wrote:
I think so, yes. It's a complex module to calibrate, apparently, so it might be something I couldn't fix myself anyways. But, problem is they don't answer, so I'm a little bit anxious about it all.


Did this ever get sorted out?
tFunk
Anyone heard from them recently?

I bought a custom panel, which Andre told me it was in stock and ready to ship, but after sending the payment more than 10 days ago, no more communication.

I sent a couple more email to ask about my order status but nothing. seriously, i just don't get it

UPDATE: Got my shipment tracking number today It's peanut butter jelly time!
Eudox
I must say i'm a bit surprised by what i read here.

Everytime i've dealt with Addac, everything was quick, professional and very informative.

Quite educational i must even say!

For example, i've placed an order yesterday and ask a few questions about some modules; i've received under a few hours several detailed answers.

The answers about the upcoming 222 CV to Midi module has been added in the meantime to a short FAQ in the product page :

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac222

It's sad that some of you have met some problems with Addac... It's not my experience... and i wouldn't want to see these problems frighten people, or make them keep away from this great line of products!.
noisefor
Thanks for posting Eudox! This has been my experience too!

Eudox wrote:
I must say i'm a bit surprised by what i read here.

Everytime i've dealt with Addac, everything was quick, professional and very informative.

Quite educational i must even say!

For example, i've placed an order yesterday and ask a few questions about some modules; i've received under a few hours several detailed answers.

The answers about the upcoming 222 CV to Midi module has been added in the meantime to a short FAQ in the product page :

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac222

It's sad that some of you have met some problems with Addac... It's not my experience... and i wouldn't want to see these problems frighten people, or make them keep away from this great line of products!.
loydb
Was about to pull the trigger on a 207, this thread has scared me off. seriously, i just don't get it
monads
It appears communication/customer services is hit or miss. Just depends I guess, maybe some email gets classified as Spam/Junk? So Andre never sees it. I will add this hasn't stopped me from purchasing ADDAC modules. And if there's an issues usually your dealer will sort you out thumbs up
Triglav
Yeah, I don't know what's going on but it doesn't inspire confidence. I have placed an order and paid for it a month ago. I have received a tracking number last week, but it doesn't seem to be working. Communication is also very sporadic.

EDIT: Tracking number is working now, hoping for the best.
EDIT2: It has arrived and it's awesome. smile
ADDAC System
Triglav wrote:
Yeah, I don't know what's going on but it doesn't inspire confidence. I have placed an order and paid for it a month ago. I have received a tracking number last week, but it doesn't seem to be working. Communication is also very sporadic.

EDIT: Tracking number is working now, hoping for the best.
EDIT2: It has arrived and it's awesome. smile


We're always available through email, or in Muffs and we frequently peruse the forum to see if anybody needs anything! We also check our PM folder, so let us know if you need any assistance.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group