MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for dark ambient
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Looking for dark ambient
snakehead
I am looking for good dark ambient music, Robert Rich Lustmord style. Light on the beats, heavy on atmospherics. More dark than chill.

I really love Edward Artemiev's soundtracks to Solaris and Stalker, for example. Also, some (not all) Stars of the Lid tracks.

Bonus for 'blackened' soundscapes! Dead Banana

Got recommendations?
konnekshen
Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit - Secret Rhythms Vol 5

Tunguska - a dark drone project from Berlin
http://ms.stubnitz.com/content/tunguska-de-0
_seph
I've been more so on the classical side of ambient for the past several years, but dark-ambient/Industrial are my core... here's something a mix.

if you're into some Stars Of The Lid, I imagine that you're aware of A Winged Victory For The Sullen and although not "dark" and more musical than atmospheric, still a great project.

similar would be Deaf Center, whose other projects Nest and Svarte Greiner
are also outstanding

which then I suppose leads into the more popular likes of Tim Hecker and Ben Frost

and for as brilliant as Frost's By The Throat was, it now puts me in mind of Menace Ruine and while not ambient, I think it something slightly "blackened" worth sharing

and back to Ben Frost and your mention of Solaris, he and Daniel Bjarnason recently revisited that masterpiece

perhaps to something a bit more on topic, Sleep Research Facility

and along that line, Svartsinn

being that you're into Stalker, Fissures is a collaboration of Rich and Alio Die (whose work is also worth investigation) although not necessarily dark.

which all somewhat puts me in mind of more organic acoustic things like Blood Of The Black Owl and other blackened things such as Falls Of Rauros, Skagos and other atmospheric metal...

anyway, perhaps some of this was new and on topic for you. I assume that you're already familiar with the label Cold Meat Industry, which is something of a go-to for this. forum member and CMI artist Nordvargr also has some great work which would be a good fit for what you're after and for finding new music http://www.last.fm/ is a great site, just find something you're into and click Related Artists and enjoy exploring.
tonewheels
Definitely Ian Boddy

and the grandaddy of all dark ambient, Tangerine Dream's Zeit.

loopt
Thomas Köner, Lull (Mick Harris) and Sunn O))) come to mind.
solaris
nordvarg
Adminius
tonewheels wrote:
... and the grandaddy of all dark ambient, Tangerine Dream's Zeit.

Wot he said. thumbs up

Zeit is completely MONSTER!
C14ru5
Biosphere has made a lot of dark ambient throughout the years. These albums are in my opinion from his most dark-sounding period:

Substrata (1997)
Insomnia (1997)
Nordheim Transformed (1998)

Two particular examples from the above albums, are "Poa Alpina" and "Antennaria", both on Substrata.
ignatius
the Haxan Cloak - best really dark thing i've heard in a while.

also, one of the guys from Pansonic has a dark ambien tproject that is amazing. will try to find the name.

also, Brian Lustmord. thumbs up

edit: one of my fav albums in recent years.

mick
_seph wrote:
which then I suppose leads into the more popular likes of Tim Hecker and Ben Frost
woah! we're not worthy
_seph
ignatius wrote:
also, one of the guys from Pansonic has a dark ambien tproject that is amazing. will try to find the name.

Mika Vainio's Ø I assume?

mick wrote:
woah! we're not worthy

yeah. that album is incredible. Ben Frost is perhaps the only contemporary artist that hits that "hero" level for me and I hold him up as an inspiration alongside luminaries like Brian Eno, Throbbing Gristle, Swans, etc...

a couple others~

a personal favorite I assume all know, Coil.

a lesser known Lustmord side-project, Arecibo.

the next two are from the prolific solo musician Stijn Van Cauter.

-first, the spacey dark ambience of Dreams of Dying Stars.

-and second, the atmospheric doom of Until Death Overtakes Me.

to continue the darkness, Kammarheit (aka Cities Last Broadcast)

Atrium Carceri, probably a must for Lustmord fans.

and even further into darkness, Desiderii Marginis.

submerged in the deep, literally, Olhon.
_seph
and apologies for excess, but a friend just sent me this link.. wow.

"Phurpa is a Russian musical collective and performance group, recording and playing authentic ritual music of Bon, the oldest Buddhist tradition from Tibet, using ritual instruments and special tantric singing technique."
snakehead
whoa! nice! thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm definitely a huge Pan Sonic Mika Vaino fan--though a lot of it is TOO foreground to consider ambient.

As with Sunn O)))--I don't consider most of it very ambient at all. Drone, but not ambient. But awesome. All of this stuff I will check out or revisit. Thank you!

Keep them coming!
Carl Hungus
definitely Thomas Koner, Teimo and Permafrost are legends.

Lull
earlier Final
Main, who just reformed and released a great new record
Labradford, but that's a bit guitar droney
Jim O'Rourke (not all of it but he's great)
The Stranger - Bleaklow, but it has up front sounds sometimes.
SP&K
Laswell/Harris - Somnific Flux

Also, there is an interesting compilation curated by K Martin (the Bug) called Isolationism: Ambient 4.
Worth finding
Etan

Also Murcof album Cosmos has very intense and dark feel to it:

snakehead
Carl Hungus wrote:

Lull
earlier Final
SP&K

Also, there is an interesting compilation curated by K Martin (the Bug) called Isolationism: Ambient 4.
Worth finding

I love Main and Labradford. Jim o' rourke too. Again, this isn't really what I'm looking for though.

I remember that Ambient series. It's pretty great. I'll have to revisit it.

Basically, ambient music in the Music for Airports/Satie sense where it isn't obtrusive, but is still interesting if you decide to focus on it.

But dark!
_seph
definitely check out Zoviet France's podcast~ http://zovietfrance.podbean.com :zoviet*france: present A Duck in a Tree, a 60 minute continuous mix of some of the best genre-refusing, zero BPM, hypnatropic and maximinimalist recordings that have grabbed their attention ...and if you're not familiar with Zoviet France, check them out as well.

several more~

Andrew Liles.

a collaboration of Troum and Yen Pox, both worth a deeper look.

Northaunt.
Carl Hungus
snakehead wrote:
Carl Hungus wrote:

Lull
earlier Final
SP&K

Worth finding

I love Main and Labradford. Jim o' rourke too. Again, this isn't really what I'm looking for though.

I remember that Ambient series. It's pretty great. I'll have to revisit it.

Basically, ambient music in the Music for Airports/Satie sense where it isn't obtrusive, but is still interesting if you decide to focus on it.

But dark!

Cool. I want to hear more of that too! thumbs up
I'll be checking back on this thread. Koner is my best suggestion so far I think.

Weird, can't think of anyone else...
doombient.music
www.darkambientradio.de
maurice
doombient.music wrote:
www.darkambientradio.de

I've listen to this radio so much...
It kind of scare people in after parties though
maurice
Lussuria just released an album

No one mentioned it, I like Hospital Productions in general, I am not sure if it's the "real" dark ambient

Hougaard
Juv from Norway - think there is some connection to Deaf Center
SPIKE the Percussionist
my project Astrogenic Hallucinauting is black ambient drone and noiz...

there are a few trax here: http://www.manipulate.net

and there is a ton more noiz in the iTunes store.
snakehead
maurice wrote:
Lussuria just released an album

No one mentioned it, I like Hospital Productions in general, I am not sure if it's the "real" dark ambient

Nice! I don't know if it is 'real' dark ambient either--but I like it!
snakehead
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
my project Astrogenic Hallucinauting is black ambient drone and noiz...

there are a few trax here: http://www.manipulate.net

and there is a ton more noiz in the iTunes store.

Lots of cool stuff on there SPIKE! It will take me awhile to navigate through it all. But I definitely like your soundscapes!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4