MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

8bit type eurorack planned by anyone?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 8bit type eurorack planned by anyone?
golana
Hi!

I would like to have and control some 8bit sound like the ones produced by my gameboy with LSDJ cart, in my modular system.

I've read somewhere, and then lost the link, something about a NES chip based module.

So if you have any information, DIY idea, link, or anything... please, help!
shamann
I have a vague recollection of the NES chip thing you mention, but can't remember what it was.

The Zorlon Cannon's low-bit pitched noise outputs would be great for this kind of thing.
Waz
Pokey synth
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/04/atari-pokey-synth-module.html
MrDys
Pulse-width modulated square wave and a bit crusher (say, a 189-1) will do a bang-up job.
J3RK
Agree with the above. A few PWM pulse waves, a Zorlon Cannon, NoiseRing, Malgorithm, couple of EGs and a VCA, you'd pretty much be set.

I did this with the pulse waves and pitched digital noise from a Modcan VCO, Modcan VCDO, an EG, and a VCA. (oh, and a sine wave from MOTM 440)

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/227-GameIsh.mp3
the bad producer
Thomas Henry's SN Voice is the one, if you're into DIY that is...

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id22.html

scott stites wrote:
The SN76477 appeared in many a video game of the late '70s and early '80s, supplying players with bleeps, bloops and swept noise as they vanquished pixellated aliens dropping from the skies. It was also featured in other items, more often than not, toys. There were a few kits out there for hobbyists. Some were music related, others were for just making making revving engine, steam engine, explosion and gunshot effects. Somewhere between the mid '80s and early '90s (I'm not sure when) Texas Instruments terminated the SN76477. With prejudice.
megamouse
Damn I wish pokey wasn't Frac....... waah
NV
megamouse wrote:
Damn I wish pokey wasn't Frac....... waah

The plan is to release it in euro as well, and honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if that becomes the only format it's released in for financial/distribution reasons. Note that it's also been in development for about two years, so people probably shouldn't plan a system around it yet.
TrashWaveform
AFG into a Doepfer bit crusher. SlayerBadger!
Cat-A-Tonic
The CGS Digital Noise is good for those types of sounds.
If you're into DIY you could put it behind a Euro panel.
dude
i feel like tyme sefari should get mentioned here too. i have been getting some great 8 bit sounds there. also ANY regular old sample and hold will do the trick. you don't even need a 'bit-crusher' . and i have a motmstyle 5u excellent condition built by krisp1 Oakley sample/hold+slew for sale in the buy/sell/trade section. pm me if interested. sorry for the 5u spam in a euro thread). any euro s/h should work too! or a quantizer with clock ins or a shift register. i think they can all do that when clocked at audio rates!
megamouse
Quote:

The plan is to release it in euro as well

This makes me happy

Quote:
Note that it's also been in development for about two years, so people probably shouldn't plan a system around it yet

I always plan way to far ahead, I'm still only on my first 84+32hp. Luckily I have nanoloop for now, and I could always get midiNES or MSSIAH.......once they're back in stock.

Quote:
If you're into DIY you could put it behind a Euro panel

planning on getting Ken's ring mod for that exact reason, and the fact that it is passive makes it so much easier!
falafelbiels
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

I'd like to know how to go about this, making these typical 8-bit-game-type sounds using that module.
Cat-A-Tonic
falafelbiels wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

I'd like to know how to go about this, making these typical 8-bit-game-type sounds using that module.

I mean to say that it is perfect for making old-school video game explosion sounds, and other noise based effects.
Its pitch can also be modulated to tune like an oscillator of sorts.
It cannot do ALL the sounds that you would be looking for, but it would be a good addition to an 8-bitesque system.

The CGS VC Divider would be another useful addition to such a system as it produces those lovely stair-step functions.

If you are looking for a single module rather than a system, I would have to agree that the SN Voice seems like the way to go.
And maybe the SN Supercontroller too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1