MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Unusual records for sampling and processing modularly
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Unusual records for sampling and processing modularly
vedicspaceprogram
I was curious if other modular users sampled records and then processessed them moduarly and if so what are some of the LPs you have used?

A personal favorite of mine is a free flexi-disc from National Geographic August 1965 commemorating Winston Churchill's funeral. It has dirgelike marching music, clomping horse hooves, church bell's and a nice eulogy speach about being transformed.
drewtoothpaste
Yes, but I think the key is to go out to record shops / thrift stores / used bookstores and go thru the cheap stuff to see what they have that you like!

screaming goo yo

Not sure where I read this, but an interesting thing to do is sub-audio-speed AM of vocal recordings which renders the speech unintelligible but maintains the timbre of it. Good for spoken-word/instructional LPs if that's what you like to sample!
MindMachine
Used some Gregorian chants, gamelon/marimba type stuff, have captured some mellotron strings and real strings chords into my Casio Sk-1 or Boss SP303 for further processing. Also have a not too cheesy haunted house record that gets very occasional use. Some Steve Reich stuff can be pretty interesting split into a few VCFs w/ modulation.

Similarly - I use AM radio more into ring modulation and as a random trigger device via a preamp or Env Follower (A-119, etc.).
valis
There's a lot of stuff I use. Sometimes I sample records and sometimes I play them straight through my modular. I have a quirky ancient PAiA system that's really good for driving and processing modules that shouldn't be driven with audio signals.

It's kind of a different beast sampling records and playing records through a modular.

As far as playing records through the modular, I like some of those "environments" records. Pope John Paul's pretty good for much the same reason as that Churchill record mentioned previously. I have this weird record of a "hippie happening." Basically it's just a bunch of weird noise with occasional drumming. Great stuff.

As far as sampling, and running samples throoug the modular, I have a nice collection of very old records about how to be a better salesman or disk jockey. I like a lot of stuff like that. Things that have a weird narrative..
criticalmonkey
using a vocoder on the wwII era leaders is always fun
DasDachshund
Conet Project comes to mind.

I have this bizarre/psychedelic record Mort Garson "The Zodiac" that has some fun sample moments

David Axelrod "Earth Rot" is cool too for spoken/chanting samples

David Axelrod is rad in general.

A lot of the old Funkadelic (Free your mind, self-titled, Maggot) has some really great moments. Sometimes a bit too "processed" to use a clean sample, but fun nonetheless.
vedicspaceprogram
Here's a track sampling a National Geographic flexi-disc of Winston Churchill's funeral.

Funeral
qu.one
it is the digital age… i have done the google mp3 searches for speeches, doctors lectures, etc — basically anything that wasn't music. cool for lots of stuff besides just the modular.
Suburban Bather
qu.one wrote:
speeches, doctors lectures, etc — basically anything that wasn't music. cool for lots of stuff besides just the modular.
A buddy of mine found an LP at a thrift store that seemed to be supplemental material to med school. Its just some guy talking about various medical procedures.
Kent
Apparently, that Wham! record was quite the find. Check it out @ 1:58 & @ 2:47

Incidentally, I've got one of those Zodiac Records. It's hilarious. I've also got some 1950's "power sales" techniques records that are just gawd-awful-fantastic.
TrashWaveform
I agree with Drew. Flea markets are goldmines for very weird records. Some records may be the only one of its kind because of it never was a mainstream release. I have a few that I really haven't been able to find anywhere within the arms of Google.
Suburban Bather wrote:
qu.one wrote:
speeches, doctors lectures, etc — basically anything that wasn't music. cool for lots of stuff besides just the modular.
A buddy of mine found an LP at a thrift store that seemed to be supplemental material to med school. Its just some guy talking about various medical procedures.
This is an uber score!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1